Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 198 ]  [ Total: 201 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 45

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/26/2020 :  4:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mark,
The Goodrich and the Ruggs Manufacturing are great looking buildings. I always enjoy seeing the old weathered buildings and your work is superb!

Thanks, David. You have been exploring!

Those were two of my favoutite builds (although there have been many favourites).

I did a bit of work on the second room in the barn yesterday. This room will house Shadowlands. I'm hoping to get some NZ native tree making lessons from my friend, Neil soon. He is a master, although he works in 1:32, so will have to scale down his techniques.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2020 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been talking to Ed Traxler, who has the rights to at least some of the 3D printed pipe fittings that Rusty Stumps used to sell. Ed is an O Scale modeler, and what he's designed and printed works well in 1/48. But we discussed the problems with smaller scales. If you want to be able to insert the pipe into the fitting (as opposed to a butt joint), you end up with a piece that is just too small and fragile to print with most 3D printer technology. https://www.micromimesis.com/

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  4:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Dave.

I also found some pipe fittings at Model Tech studios.

Well - progress has been very slow the last few weeks. I have been busy moving our landscaping plans forward, along with a few special family and friends occasions. I am re-leveling the formal lawn in front of our house, enclosing it in beech hedging and creating wide perennial boarders. I have about 80m3 of soil to rotary hoe up and move with my 1 series tractor bucket!

Below is a magnified photo of some workers I painted up for my cannery. I cut a shovel up and reattached it as knives.

I'm hoping to find time to get the momentum going again on this project.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  5:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, sounds like you've got your hands full there.
Your cannery workers sort of remind me of Alex & his droogs, from "A Clockwork Orange"

Greg Shinnie

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  9:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought i was the only sucker that saw that movie.....

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  02:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg.

No, Kembo, I've seen it too. And pretty odd it is too! Up there with fear and loathing in Las Vegas and eraserhead! Those guys in that photo might look like Alex and his droogs, but I can assure they have hearts of gold, and all that blood is definitely from fish!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  06:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eraserhead. holy cow. the baby in the drawer. that's one of the wierdest films ever made.

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  10:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My wife’s reaction to the cannery workers: “That is truly disgusting”. And she has seen A Clockwork Orange, in German.

I think you’ve succeeded, Mark.

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gee, Greg - see what you've opened up now!!???

Thanks, Mike. I actually took my wife to a triple showing featuring Eraserhead as one of the movies for one of our first dates. As she managed to sit through two of the three movies, I knew it was true love!

Kimbo - if Eraserhead is in your drawer, treat yourself to a viewing of Peter Jackson's zombie comedy 'brain dead'.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2020 :  8:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well - a bit of progress to the cannery.

The right end addition has had the final ventilation grill added at the top of the gable. I added blinds to the windows and glued the second half of the sub-assembly into position.

I glued a row of window shutters to a plastic backing and then cut this into to long sections. I also did the same with two gable ends, cutting the rake into top. These were painted brown/ black and then dry brushed. I glued 8x8 timber corners to the sides of the gable and trimmed. I glued the two sides to a plastic 'floor', and then attached the ends. I painted up 4x2's in unbleached titanium and added these as trim to the sides of the cupola. I made up roof sections from black card and covered these in high tack painters tape. I painted these a brown/ black and then dry brushed with unbleached titanium. I left the tape slightly long at the internal ends of the larger roof to turn up as flashings. I glued the roof to the cupola and added barge boards. I then carefully fitted the cupola through the rectangular hole in the larger roof and glued to the bottom of the 4x2 timber trim. I then glued the larger roof to the structure. I still have the barge boards to add to the larger roof.

Photos 1 and 2 - show the cupola completed.

Photo 3 - shows the larger roof.

Photo 4 - shows the roof glued to the structure, shown from the back.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  10:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done Mark.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2020 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very Nice Mark!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2020 :  02:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark great to see you continuing with this build, as I did enjoy it during the Challenge.
The cupola looks good.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2020 :  3:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments, Carl, Jerry and Rob.

I decided to move on to the main roof. Rolled roofing seemed like the easiest and most logical choice, although I think I will go for grey this time to change things up a bit.

I prepared some roof details and built an extension to add to the back of the sloped roof protrusion towards the front center of the complex. I kept the rake of the roof-line the same as the protrusion to keep the roof simpler. I added a small door to the left side. There is a staircase to go from the blue addition with the fish sign on it up to the roof, and I wanted a good reason for this. A door leading back down to the floor below will suffice. I have also stained some 8x1 for a rooftop walkway which will lead to this door, and also to the rooftop shed.

Photo 1 - shows me preparing my high tack tape. I mark the center of the tape and then run a pencil around using my finger as a spacer to keep the distance constant. I then undo the tape as shown and cut down the pencil-line with a sharp knife. I then use scissors to cut the roofing to length. I ruled lines on the rooftop as guides.

Photo 2 - shows the roof half done. There is a bit of fussing with tweezers, a ruler and a knife to try and fold up the flashings and poke/ prod pieces into the corners.

Photo 3 - shows the roof completed.

Photo 4 - shows the small shed.

Photo 5 - shows the back and one side (without the door) of the new addition and a close up of the flashing detail.

Next up is to paint and weather the roof, and then add the details including the rooftop walkway, connecting exterior stairway and the wall capping.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2020 :  5:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, it looks like you know how to lay roofing paper. It’s very realistic.

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000