Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 188 ]  [ Total: 191 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 45

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  9:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm following you here, Mark. It'll be interesting to see the different roofs you come up with.

George

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  10:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I like the colors chosen for the buildings, hopefully the roofs will compliment those colors.

Rich

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  11:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent topping, Mark!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  09:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2020 :  4:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys'

Thank very much Robert, George, Rich, Mario,
Michael and Jerry.

Robert - I was pleased with how the roof came together. I hoped it would work as intended, but wasn't sure until I gave it a try.

George and Rich - the roofs will certainly be interesting to build. I'll try to choose colours that will work with the walls. Nearly all rolled roofing I have seen here is black, so that is the colour I'm doing this roof, although it will be heavily weathered. I try to keep my corrugated iron roofs to shades of grey, red and green, which was the colours used in the 1930's.

Photo 1 - I dismantled my roof and added high tack painters tape. I trimmed the outside slightly larger than the cardboard. I trimmed the inside to fit under the louvers flush with the cardboard. I trimmed the inside to fit up and down the rake of the cupolas slightly proud of the cardboard. I cut slits at the end of the rakes and then used my thumb nail to caress the tape up to 90 degrees.

Photos 2 and 3 - I went through the process of manipulating the main roof over the three cupols. I then attempted to add tiny pieces of painters tape to the top of the cupola gable ends and L-pieces up the corner posts. I used a knife or tweezers to get the pieces into position and then a toothpick to press them into place.

Photo 4 - shows the tiny pieces in position.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  4:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

I got a couple of coats of brownish black on the roof. I made sure to get paint on the edges and a little way on the underside as well. I cut up some gable trim from 4x2" stripwood and glued these to the underside of the main roof at the edge as fly rafters. Once dry I glued the main roof in position. I test fitted the cupola roofs and did a little tickling up of a couple of the gable ends with a sharp knife to get a better fit. I glued cardboard pieces cut to the slope of the gable roof to the inside of the cupola roofs - one at each end, but within the cupolas. I glued fly rafters to the edge of the underside of the cupola roofs. Once dry I glued these three roofs into position, using my trusty eye-ometer to check for positioning. I touched up with a bit more blackish brown and then dry brushed with some tan.

I added some 4x2" trim to the end of the shingle wall, to add 2 scale inches to the length of the wall. I had to sand this down slightly to get the suspended building fitting tight against the front and back wall of the main part of the structure, and sitting correctly over the two posts at the front. I have now glued this into position. I painted the trim unbleached titanium, and had already added a piece at the other end of the shingle wall, so it looks nicely framed now. Of course, for all that work it really looks no different to the last photo of it mocked up!

I then moved on to the two story addition at the far left of the cannery. These one-storied clapboard walls sit on top of the brickwork to make it two-storied. For some reason I had got my measurements slightly wrong and the walls overhung the brickwork a bit too much for my liking. I had glued the 6x6" corner trim to the gable end walls, but had not assembled the addition. The two small walls I cut down by 1 mm. The two gable walls I had to first remove the corner trim, clean the glue off this and then cut 1/2 mm off each end. I glued the trim back on, glued corner bracing on the inside of the two gable walls and one piece of vertical bracing on the middle of the small walls, cut a base from cardboard, and assembled.

I carefully cut the and fit the two wing walls and the short return wall at the back for the lean-to between the suspended building and the two-storied structure. Vertical stripwood was added to the side of the suspended building to glue these walls to. I wasn't able to get a perfect fit between the second storied clapboard building and the brickwork, and I also ended up having to shim between the suspended building and the brickwork (see photo 3), so will add some 4x2" trim to hide the seem. I added some roof supports to the lean-to, and added the windows and louvers. I cut out roof templates and these are sitting in position.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, what an interesting looking structure.
I love it!

Greg Shinnie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Complicated to build but nice looking.

Frank

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just caught up, again. Having been in Monterey a few times I'd say this does a wonderful job evoking the originals. Nice work!

--Rich

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2020 :  9:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an amazing design you have there, Mark.

George

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2020 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mark, what an interesting looking structure.
I love it!

Thanks very much, Greg.

Yes. When I first saw pictures of this structure it immediately went to the top of my "must build one day" list. I'm so pleased to be able to put it in such a prominent position on my layout.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  12:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Complicated to build but nice looking.

Indeed, Frank, and thanks.

There are a lot more complexities to come. Lots of fun, though.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  12:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just caught up, again. Having been in Monterey a few times I'd say this does a wonderful job evoking the originals. Nice work!

Thanks, Rich.

I've stuck pretty close to the pictures and google images. I had to selectively compress, especially width ways, but sacrificed as much yard and road space as I could to make this one work.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/07/2020 :  12:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That's an amazing design you have there, Mark.

Thanks, George.

As we move forwards in the build there will be a few more design elements that I can take credit for, but for now most of them lie with the original architect. There were a lot of amendments by yours truly. I'm positive that if this was a prototype structure, things would still be stuck waiting for the council to sign off.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000