Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 181 ]  [ Total: 183 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 45

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  3:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Please note, I have drawn the bridge on the wrong track at the upper right of the plan.

I hate it when somebody spoils the ending before I figure it out. I wanted to find the error on my own.

Nice diorama too. Keep it up Mark and you'll make a fair modeler yet.

Comments: not a big fan of the long "U". Is there a way to cut down the backdrop partition and replace it with just scenery? Interestingly you've created a baseball where the helix used to be.

Sorry to spoil the ending, Frank! On the modelers forum I didn't post that change - we'll see how many people I p off!

My next step is to make a model of the model in which I can address your concern. As you know, my peninsula has a hanging cloud, so apart from the back wall (which I will need to hide the room wall) the other walls are not necessary. However, a second wall (somewhat shorter than drawn, even) would make the support easy. The other thing that dawned on me last night while falling asleep was that the track running into the valley is going down hill, where as the river will be flowing the other way. I'm guessing this isn't really a problem, although perhaps a bit unusual.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  3:33:25 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mark, sorry to read that your Easter convention that you've been working so hard to get ready for has been canceled.
Though it's nice to see it hasn't slowed your creative process down despite of it.
Your sketch of what your plans might be on your next section of layout look very interesting.
You are going to have such an amazing layout when you finally finish.
So get back to work!

Thanks, Greg.

Yes - a pity about the convention, but I saw the writing on the walls a few weeks ago so for my talk I had only done thinking and gathering of ideas and supporting materials, but hadn't spent time actually writing anything.

Yes - I love this design phase. I am only bouncing ideas around, but I do feel this one has enough legs to merit time spent on a model of a model - which was one of the things I was going to talk about at the convention - about what a great tool it is to help you visualize your ideas and whether or not they might work before you invest a huge amount of time and effort on what might be a mistake.

Cheers, Mark.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the book: http://bobhayden.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=27

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  5:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Dave.

I saw the cover and title of that book and thought 'hang on'. There was a deceased estate at our last little big train show and I grabbed a few books for $5 each. This was one of them!

Cheers, Mark.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  5:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great deal, Mark!!!!! (And no postage, either!!!) It's an excellent book.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2020 :  11:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark..
AlL flights cancelled...Let's hope we catchup later in the year or early 2021.. Enjoy your Self isolation in NZ.... Send a few new Overall pics of the steep street scenes, when you get a chance.

cheers mate

quote:
Originally posted by Mario Rapinett

Mark. Your approach to "compressed" scenes is the highlite of your modelling. So much in small spaces.... Looking forward to maybe catching up again in 2020.....when is the open house....( Easter ...exact date ?? )

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  01:24:35 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Will do Mario, and thanks for the complement.

Got a bit done today - on the wharf scene.

All quiet in NZ, although, to be perfectly honest, there's not a lot of difference here - just less traffic noise and very few planes. All the neighbours are finding plenty to do - chainsaws, tractors, weed eaters etc all busy - myself included. Can't fathom hair dressers being essential services in Oz? No one will be getting a professional haircut in NZ for a while. Had my biannual one last month so I'm all good!

Cheers, Mark.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  05:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark just spend some time going though this thread. Excellent work and a great design. I love the way you have bashed all these kits to get neat and unusual structures. Love all the views down the streets looks great. Keep up the great modeling.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  3:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mark just spend some time going though this thread. Excellent work and a great design. I love the way you have bashed all these kits to get neat and unusual structures. Love all the views down the streets looks great. Keep up the great modeling.

Thanks, Mike.

I get a lot of enjoyment through attempting to make my structures unique. I would imagine I spend at least 10% of my structure building time on design - often substantially more.

I have enjoyed your work on the challenge thread very much. I like the way tall structures at the front of the layout force viewers to look around them and through them. They are a great tool for framing views of your layout and leading the eye deeper into the scene. I think your structure with the alleyway and the change in roof heights should do this especially well.

Cheers, Mark.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2020 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark: Thanks I don't know where I read this but a long time ago I read a article in one of the model magazines. To make it seem longer from one town to the next on a layout was to put buildings and scenery between the viewer and the trains. I have tried to do this on my current layout.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/26/2020 :  11:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark... seems Aussie / NZ travel may be open later this year.... Might pop over for a quick coffee and checkout your latest work..

"M"

quote:

Hi Mark..
AlL flights cancelled...Let's hope we catchup later in the year or early 2021.. Enjoy your Self isolation in NZ.... Send a few new Overall pics of the steep street scenes, when you get a chance.

cheers mate

quote:

Mark. Your approach to "compressed" scenes is the highlite of your modelling. So much in small spaces.... Looking forward to maybe catching up again in 2020.....when is the open house....( Easter ...exact date ?? )

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  6:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mario.

We will have to wait and see. Things can change quickly - as we all now well know!

I've been making some good (although slow - by its very nature) progress on the cannery and wharf scene. I'll carry the build on here when the challenge thread closes (as I obviously wont be finished by the deadline!) I'm really enjoying this build. I've done quite a bit of experimenting and made a few changes to some old techniques.

Cheers, Mark.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2020 :  10:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers mate

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  8:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Firstly - for those of you that haven't been following this years challenge, I have been building a wharf and cannery scene for the forefront of my layout. The challange has now finished, but my build has a long way to got. There is a thread of this build from beginning to present here: http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=4879.0

I will now continue on from the challenge here (as well as at the link above).

Well - a bit of progress this morning.

Photo 1 - I started by cutting six pieces of card with the same slope as the gable end of the suspended building and so that they would be the same height as the gable ends when sitting on top of the inner flat roof template. I then glued these to the ends of the three cupolas.

Photo 2 - I then cut an over all roof from black card, measured the size of the holes required for the cupolas to protrude, and cut them out. My hope was that the roof would kind of wedge between the bottom piece of 4x2" on the louvers on each side of the cupola and the gable card glued to the ends of the cupola. This took a bit of careful persuasion, but did work.

Photo 3 - The roof from underneath. It is actually amazingly stiff and self supporting.

Photo 4 - mocked up in position.

I considered different types of roofing material, but was worried about how difficult the flashings would be to install and get neat. I also didn't want anything of much thickness, as that would mean it wouldn't fit under the bottom 4x2" on the side of the cupola , which visually gives a nice clean line and follows prototype practice. In the end I decided high tack painters tape to resemble rolled roofing was the easiest and best choice. If I was clever I could cut the flashings for the side of the cupola into the main roof and fold them up at 90 degrees before reassembling and then use a toothpick to adhere to the ends of the cupolas.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  8:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking good.I like the way you handled the roof copulas.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000