Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 203 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 45

railandsail
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  09:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Wow, Wow
I was so impressed with your work, and your photo presentation here (that I just happened across this morning, I had to make a link to it over on another forum I participate in quite regularly.

I'll be back to try and read through this rather long subject thread

Thanks, Brian

Brian

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  11:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carl and Brian!

I'm pleased you like it, Carl.

Brian - welcome to my miniature world! Thanks for the link on your other forum.

I'll add a few more picks of progress this weekend. Being summer here there are many, many outdoor projects and maintenance that is taking priority at the moment! Having five acres of garden is both a blessing and a curse! Speaking of gardens - its gone 5.30am and I need to get to it!

Cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  12:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your newest elevator on that building further lifts your already elevated layout to even greater heights.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  7:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cityscapes are a lot of work, but it appears you're doing a fine job with it Mark. Cheers!

Rich

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2019 :  4:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for your great comments and continued interest, Greg and Rich!

Well - a bit of progress. Firstly, after weeks of strong winds, I finally had friends organised to help with the shed on a still morning. I finished assembling my flat pack shed on a Saturday in the barn and at 8.30am on Sunday morning, it was lifted onto the back of my trailer and driven around the corner to the concrete slab I had poured. By 10am it was bolted to the slab and two sides were screwed to rails I had attached (packed out so they were nice and straight) to the dog run fencing. By 2pm the doors were on and everything was finished. The rest of the afternoon was spent shuffling things from place to place - the upshot being that I now have another 100' squared of layout space ready for the next stage after Easter. I also have about 80m of dressed 90mmx20mm fillet stacked and stropped keeping it nice and straight and true while it dries. That night the winds picked up to near gale force so I was pleased to find it still in position the next morning (sheds are know for arriving unannounced on the neighbours front lawn around here!).

The 'gap diorama' has slowly been progressing as well. Below you can see windows painted, weathered, glazed and installed in two of the structures along with fire escape completed.

I've also started on the design of one more diorama for the front of the layout next to the yard - right as you walk in the door.

More soon - and merry Christmas - cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work on the windows and fire escapes, Mark. Those two building look ready to go.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some nice modeling to finish the year. Great work.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2019 :  5:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The buildings all look terrific, Mark. I particularly like the weathered brick.

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  12:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks very much for the compliments Michael, Bill and trains1941!

Well - back when I posted my last update I don't think many of us could have imagined the changes to life in 3 short months! Needless to say, our Easter convention has been cancelled. Not only that, but no one will be coming to visit it for at least a month - potentially significantly longer, as NZ, too, goes into lock down.

And so, I've been thinking about the next section of the layout to be built and a different approach to viewing. After about an hour of hunting I found the MRR article I was looking for to take a bit of inspiration from - March 1997, The Dolly Varden Mines in HOn21/2. After a bit of studying and digesting I started doodling, thinking about ways I could gain the changes in elevation I need without a helix and framing different views. The attached plan shows my progress thus far. As you can see I have split this module into three scenes, the lime-works to your direct right as you walk through the doorway between the two rooms (from Tellynott to Shadowlands - there is a plan of the larger area back on page 33}, a long thin scene with tracks at almost 300mm of vertical separation, and a long valley with the track snaking its way along the riverbed in the valley. I think the division walls will largely have mountains to the module ceiling. The helix has been done away with and replaced by a staggered loop to gain height. At present the grade would be 3%. If I make the scenery hard shell I should be able to create access hatches from below. What do you think????

Please note, I have drawn the bridge on the wrong track at the upper right of the plan.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 03/25/2020 12:14:52 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  08:27:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Productive doodling, Mark.

Bruce

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  09:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Dolly Varden" is a great, inspiring prototype. Do you have the book on this RR? For a long time, it was rare/hard to get, but it's been reprinted.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  10:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please note, I have drawn the bridge on the wrong track at the upper right of the plan.

I hate it when somebody spoils the ending before I figure it out. I wanted to find the error on my own.

Nice diorama too. Keep it up Mark and you'll make a fair modeler yet.

Comments: not a big fan of the long "U". Is there a way to cut down the backdrop partition and replace it with just scenery? Interestingly you've created a baseball where the helix used to be.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/25/2020 1:04:09 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, sorry to read that your Easter convention that you've been working so hard to get ready for has been canceled.
Though it's nice to see it hasn't slowed your creative process down despite of it.
Your sketch of what your plans might be on your next section of layout look very interesting.
You are going to have such an amazing layout when you finally finish.
So get back to work!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  3:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Productive doodling, Mark

Thanks, Bruce. Fun too.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 03/25/2020 3:35:38 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2020 :  3:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Dolly Varden" is a great, inspiring prototype. Do you have the book on this RR? For a long time, it was rare/hard to get, but it's been reprinted.

Thanks for this, Dave. The layout design by Dick Patterson is quite a unique take on how to create views. I don't have that book, or did I know one existed. I'll have a hunt online - maybe in a month or two.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000