Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 156 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 45

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/18/2019 :  3:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich.

Yep. It gives the surface some tooth. It was suggested in one of my kits - I think a Campbell kit - And now I use it whenever I feel it is easier to attach the roof to the structure before painting. I hold a card up as I spray to protect from over-spray, but if you do over-spray a little it is no big deal.

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/24/2019 :  11:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well - I spent a bit of time over the last couple of days trying to fill in the last gap in the back wall structures - the area between the hospital and Innes aerated water. This area had always been reserved for 'the old mill' by Model Tech studios, but I tried various mock-ups and it always looked too flat, to 'of one height'. I've been trying various ideas over the weeks but was never quite happy. After spending a bit of time perusing photos I had taken of the paper mill in Mataura I decided to break out some kit walls and see what I could create. The mill itself is painted a smokey blue grey with white trim - which I think will add a nice splash of colour. I'm not trying to recreate the mill - just get a bit of a feel of it. I also have a picture of another structure which has a gable addition similar to the front of the Magnuson powerhouse added to a flat high main wall, and this, too, was an influence.

Here is a close up front on.

One with a bit of angle.

From further back showing the shapes against the back wall.

And further back still.

I'm much happier with this stepped drop down from the hospital to 'Innes'. I also like the variety of structures. I bent the road out and back in again to gain enough space to create some negative detail to help break the flat feel. I am also going to give it a little grade up and down. The walls are; left over back and side walls from a Walters American hardware, the front wall from a Magnuson power house, one end wall from a Walthers sugar refinery (the wall will be trimmed at both ends and the ends used as two low relief sides) and a Magnuson brewery gable wall. The stack is by Kibri.

Lastly here is a photo of the Mataura paper mill.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  12:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just tried a Walthers red wing flour mill wall for the large wall behind the powerhouse gable. Ignoring the little single bay top story, I think I like this better. ???

More soon, cheers, Mark.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  04:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!! I am speechless.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great cityscape! I like the RedWing wall better too. It adds a little variety with fewer windows.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  09:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  09:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Dang Mark, this is really looking good. Definitely not all one level here.

Frank

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  10:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your urban skyline is really taking shape!
It all looking fabulous!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  6:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments Bob, Bill, Carl and Greg!

Bill - the Red wing mill also has a fire escape that looks mostly complete out of the box. Considering how much fussing there can be with those I'm all for that!

I'm happy with the skyline from afar. It is the first time that gap has been mocked up - so a bit of a moment for me. I'm going to work on getting things a little further along this afternoon.

I thought I would add my updated stage two plan here.

This plan only shows the main lines (in pink) and the return cutoff/ fiddle yard (in orange). I have reversed the direction of the low return cutoff. I have also omitted the high return cutoff which in turn eliminated the need for the double slip. I have put a small loop between River and Mountain to show simply how the track loops from one to the other. I don't go dizzy now trying to work out how a journey through Shadowlands would go! The plan also shows the area needed to be built to get the track to the next stage (on the left and above the striped line). Trains will be able to leave Tellynott, pierce the backdrop, descend the helix and then enter the low return cutoff where they can be 'fiddled' or changed before returning in the reverse direction. There is also the added bonus of a continuous loop.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2019 :  6:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quick flight to New Zealand to catch up on the progress of the layout. I could visualise this project in it's completed form.

Mark & I talked , ate and drank..during my one day visit..... Awesome time had...
I captured many photos, but If you are on FB...here is a quick vid..
https://www.facebook.com/392190704238509/videos/547698915772836/

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I checked out Mario's pictures...WOW ! are you gonna really build all of the structures shown there? Whew...I..can't ..imagine..that. Definitely... well populated. Hopefully little people will be indoors, or you will be painting figures forever...

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! (Rich already said that, so Iíll add: Fantastic!) What a wonderful overview of all thatís been accomplished, all that remains to be built, the scale of the whole project, and the craftsmanship throughout!

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/02/2019 08:40:54 AM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  3:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the complements, Mario, Rich and Mike!

Rich - in a word, yes. There will certainly be changes as I work through, but I expect to have one day built the vast majority of those houses (and perhaps a few other ones). And I think there needs to be a great deal of life on the streets so there will be plenty of LBP to paint!

Thanks very much Mike - and we still haven't stepped next door into Shadowlands!

Mario - it was a lovely time and I enjoyed all the modelling discussions tremendously!

Mario and I spent and entire morning in the layout room pretty much just looking and talking. I find this very helpful. Having to explain in detail to someone your intentions lets you know where your ideas are strong and where there are holes or problems that need to be addressed. Mario has also visited more layouts than probably anyone else I know so one of my questions for him was exactly what I should concentrate on trying to finish for the convention next Easter. He suggested the entire section to the right as you walk in the door (from the yard down to the Tellynott corner diorama) should be completed. Unfortunately this is quite impossible, but we agreed that spending the time to get this area fully mocked up would be worth it. Other ideas around the peninsula area were explored, and I was playing around with some of those yesterday. I started flipping all my pictures of houses, cutting out the silhouettes and making the mock-ups double sided. This should help me with my framing of views through to the CBD in the background. Double side stuff is quite tricky, as whatever you do on one side of it has a great impact on the other.

I have also noticed how much of a difference having that last section of the backdrop mocked up has to the eye when it takes in the view.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  11:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  11:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another vid for future reference for RRL members
https://www.facebook.com/392190704238509/videos/3038316172893926/

Page: of 45 Previous Topic: Brets Brewery (CSM) Construction Thead Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000