Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 52 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool
Page: of 26

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  4:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark, this scene just keeps getting more & more interesting!
Have you added any interior lights for the buildings?
I bet this would look even more spectacular with the buildings lit up at night.
Keep the photo's coming.

Greg Shinnie

rickb326
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  4:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit rickb326's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,
The module is great! How did you make your roads? They look so real!
Rick

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  06:09:30 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the compliments Frederic, Dallas, Greg and Rick.

Thanks Frederic - its funny how gritty industrial structures look beautiful when modelled!

Dallas - thanks. Again, a lot of what I do regards composition I learnt while studying composition as part of my music degree. The lessons learned lend themselves to so many different aspects of life.

Greg - the short answer is no - this diorama will not have lights - but only because I have not done them before and it will only be displayed during daytime at the up coming 'Tranz' weekend. I have 'walled up' several rooms inside some of the structures and added interior details. I have drilled holes through the floors of these structures and the baseboard where they cannot be accessed from behind and will insert tubes with lights attached ontop at a later date. I do intend to have the diorama 'lighted' when installed on my layout. I just hope I don't 'box myself into a corner' so to speak - through my inexperience in this matter - and not be able to do enough lighting to fully show the diorama off as a night time scene. I always think of your own outstanding interior (and exterior) lighting when thinking about my future interior lighting, and will revisit some of your great posts when I get to this stage.

Rick - I started by glueing polystyrene subforms to the base. I had worked out the heights and position of things and mocked it up in position on my layout and taken photos of this as a reference. I cut some 4" polystyrene down to approximately 2 1/2" (the width of the road), and then cut it at the desired 'slope' (around 10 degress if I remember corectly - about as steep as our driveway!). I cut several of these pieces - some a little less steep. I then cut these strips into pieces about 2" wide, and glued them to the base, curving them to form the roads. I filled the gaps with a foam gun. I used fairly high density poly - but because I am able to get offcuts of this stuff for free (and It will never be lent on) I used this instead of the blue or pink stuff. I then made a mould from an old cobble level railway crossing I had, and then made two L-shape frames from some 6mm MDF. I cast scores of castings from this mould, and cut most of them in half. I then laid them on the poly (the shorther ones on the curves) and attached them with tradeset 90 plaster. Once set I hid all the seems and smoothed polyfiller (spackling plaster I think) over the entire plaster surface, leaving random 'holes' showing the cobbles beneath the newer roading where it had broken away. I then used woodland scenics footpath tape to form a curved footpath. I put this on both sides of the road (even though I only ever wanted one footpath) to give me a level footpath when screeding. I used an Ice block stick to screed the polyfuller which I wetted down a bit to help it spread. After an hour or so I very gentally removed the tape. When dry I scanded with nail files, and carved in expansion cuts in the footpath and road along with cracks. Last weekend I coloured it using woodland scenics washes, alcohol and black leather dye washes, dry brushing and chalks.

This first pic shows some of the interior detail - now installed in the large brick brewery.

This next pic shows a close up of the crazy paved alleyway.Robert Rugg senior is showing Mr Rubenstein his new selection of ruggs out in the daylight. Mr Rubenstein hates dust around his steinway, and so has put up with the cold wooden floorboards in his parlour for years. As he is getting older, the circulation is not what it use to be, and he has decided to compromise and put his baby grand on one of Mr Rugg Senior's new rugs to help keep his feet warm while practicing. (and yes - if thats what you are thinking - I have only painted up 6 figures so far. I have more primed and waiting patiently for their paint jobs!).

Well, I finished work a little early today, so, after a short stop at the hobby shop for some supplies, I scratchbuilt my second tree. Here are a couple of pics...

Thanks for taking the time to check in on my progress.

Cheers, Mark.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark, lovely scene..

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  10:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Fine progress and with all you good people of Christchurch have/are going through, stamina.

It's only make-believe

cnj999
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  10:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I'm quite taken by your clever, freelance, feature-busy, Goodrich Footwear Co., leaving me wondering about its overall physical dimensions. While features are probably scalable from the images, it is always better to get them directly from the builder when it comes to a build that includes multiple nooks and crannies.

Having a broad selection of GrantLine doors and windows, along with various types of NE milled siding, always at the ready in my supply cabinets, I've been giving thought to possibly scatching a copy of your structure to include on the Beacon Branch extension of my HHRR. Currently under construction, a hilly portion at one end of the layout extension has a rather steep highway gradient adjacent of the HHRR's trackage that would be ideal for such a build.

Thanks for any details you may provide and by all means, keep us all abreast of your further work on your impressive urban module. I'll certainly be watching intently.

CNJ999

Edited by - cnj999 on 07/13/2011 10:10:29 AM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the positive comments Martin, Bob and Cnj999, they are always great to hear. Cnj999 - good luck with your scratchbuild, and I hope the information I sent you is helpfull.

Well, I have been busy, but haven't posted for a while. Its only 9 days until the Tranz weekend, so I'm trying to get as much finished as possible. I'm trying to leave a little time to 'full in the gaps' and have so far drawn up a couple of sketches of two of the buildings I won't have finished (or started). Likewise I'd like to have a bit of info on how this diorama will eventually fit into my layout, and some background info on some of the builds - influences, prototype pics where aplicible etc. Its the sort of thing I would like to see (but so often don't) so figure at least some others will be interested too. Anyway - I have everything there, its just a matter of sorting and putting it together in some sort of coherent fashion.

Tonight I was finishing off Buchanan's mill. Just a couple of details left to go, but thought I'd upload a couple of pics before I hit the hay.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  07:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark:

Very well done. I especially like the large gray building with all the cool roof lines. Maybe you could talk one of the kit manufacturers into producing it.

Karl

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  8:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well I thought I’d best update after the ‘Tranz’ weekend. Our city is once again covered in snow, around 10 inches this time, and since we’re supposed to be doing floor prep for a floor slab, there’s no work today – and time for a bit of modelling.

The weekend was a great success. A nice combination where you could sit at a table, chatting away, working on your own project, or walk around the hall, looking at what others were doing, and ask questions and learn a few new skills. One of the great lessons for me was watching how much others procrastinate, and knowing I’m not alone in this personality trait!

I set the ‘Tellynott corner module’ diorama up in the foyer, next to the double doors to the hall. It was the only large diorama on display, and the weekend organizer said to me later that it was the perfect position for it as it was the first thing people saw as they entered the hall, and really set the tone for the weekend (high praise indeed!) The foyer was very poorly lit, and I was very pleased that I went to the extra trouble of lighting the diorama. Several people commented on the great presentation. My thoughts are that for a very small amount of work, it is more than worth the effort. Sadly, it seems to often be omitted. I positioned three cardboard cut-outs with pencil drawings of the structures yet to be completed and added to the diorama. I also provided a clear file with background information on the layout and where the diorama fitted into it, and some pics of prototype and modelling influences and inspirations. Sadly, this seemed to be missed by most people, even though it was on a small table next to the diorama and well labelled. I also provided a mat to kneel on and instructions on the best viewing height. Again, most people seemed to miss these instructions, and viewed it from above rather than ‘through’. Ideally I would have displayed it at the correct viewing height, but with the potential for large aftershocks still around 20%, I thought this extra height would make the diorama too unstable. I cut a piece of thin black plastic (used to stop moisture coming up through a floor slab) and used thumb tacks to attach it to the top and bottom of the diorama and protect it from the elements while in transit. I then took this off and attached it hanging down from the bottom of the diorama as a curtain, hiding the table legs etc. This also really helped frame the layout. I was asked by several people about displaying it at upcoming events. Urban layouts are somewhat of a rarity in New Zealand, but even so, it was very encouraging to get so much interest and positive feedback.

Well, here are a few pics of where I got the diorama up to for the ‘Tranz’ weekend. Still a ways to go – but the end is in sight. I’ve already started thinking about what my next project will be (something a bit smaller for sure!) I forgot to take any pics of the layout set up, but I know others did, so if I get my hands on one, I’ll post it.

Here's a pic of the waterfall under the viaduct. I still need to add some colour to the water. There will also be a lot of greenery - moss, trees, logs etc.

I couldn't resist! Thats a pic of our cross eyed Bullmastiff 'Rose' touching her nose with her tongue in the window. Young Annie is playing with a puppy in the other window while her mother does a bit of shopping.

Heres a couple of pics of Roslyn's (Rugg-a-like) weathered. Thanks for the comments Karl. I'm pleased you like it.

Cheers, Mark.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  9:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The diorama is coming along nicely, Mark. I can see why it was a big hit at the show. If you weren’t so darn far away, I’d love to see it in person.

George

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  10:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, congratulations!
I know you worked very hard to get as much finished as you did before this show.
And not hard to believe it was indeed a highlight of the show.
I hope this response from the show further inspires you to continue your work on this excellent diorama.
Now stop reading this, never mind the snow and get back to work!

Greg Shinnie

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/16/2011 :  10:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more thing,Mark. It seems to me that a couple of your photo's, the ones taken outside of Petes Bar. Would be perfect for this month's photo gallery "Wrong side of the tracks".
Post a couple there and then get back to work.

Greg Shinnie

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  06:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats for your work and the successful display at the show, Mark.

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2011 :  08:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark:

All I can say is WOW. Can't wait to see it finishhed.

Karl S.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/19/2011 :  01:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Thanks for all the great comments!

George - save your pennies - New Zealand is a fantastic place to visit, and there's always a spare room here!

Greg - thanks for your encouragement. I have posted those two pics of 'the wrong side of the tracks' as you suggested.

Frederic and Karl S - thank you so much for your kind words.

Well, a little more done on the next structure for Tellynott. This one is inspired by George Sellios' Stuffy's. Stuffy's is one of my favourite FSM kits - and the theme fits right in to what I'm trying to create in Tellynott. I've bid on this one several times on ebay - but the bidding has always gone above my budget. I've reduced the footprint of 'Burton Brewery' a bit, and omitted a few details. I have also put a slight angle between the two sections to fit the curve in the road. The bottom story of the tavern is made out of half of a Woodland Scenics 'Rocky's Tavern' kit. The top half is plaster over scrap wood.

The windows are still to be painted and are just sitting in position (except for the ones that kept falling out!)

Here's a close-up showing 'Rocky tavern'. It was one of those 'lightbulb in your head' moments when it suddenly dawned on me how well this would fit in here.

I wonder whether my stack is a little short?

And here's a pic with some gritty brick walls thrown in behind to give an idea of what will be behind. I think both the road going between Domain Brewery and Burton's brewery and the road curving up behind the Domain brewery and past Goodrich footwear co. will disappear into tunnels under the multi story brick structure.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.76 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000