Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  07:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your process works Mark!

Looks great.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  08:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark this is going to be something to watch the progress on.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/06/2019 08:42:57 AM

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/10/2019 :  8:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark

It looks like you have a great plan. I love the way you use mock-ups to visualize. I will be watching your progress.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  3:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks Carl, Frank and John - much appreciated.

Well firstly I'll post a photo or two of the first structure built for the peninsula. This one was built as part of the tribute challenge.

Next up I have chosen one at the very end of the peninsula.

Artists sketch

Drawing of the front elevation

Mock-up of the structure

walls cut out

Kia kaha, Christchurch.
More soon, cheers, mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, your first structure for your peninsula came out well!
Your second structure now in the works, looks even more interesting.
I also wanted to let you know, that our thoughts & prayers are with you, and the good people of Christchurch.
You guys have been through a lot already with the earthquakes, and now this tragedy to deal with.
I'm so sorry mate!

Greg Shinnie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  6:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, you have to do the clothes line. They look so good in models. I like the building, small but loads of character.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  11:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Everything looks superb. Lot's of talent flowing here for sure!

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  12:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another personality-filled building in the works. Looks like fun!

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  6:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Greg - Yes - one of the reasons I wanted to tackle this one second is that it is very charming. We also lived for 12 years in a 70's take on this sort of house.

Below is a link to some pictures of our old house (the one damaged in the earthquakes). As you can see it was classic mid-70's architecture - the era of individualism. The spaces, both inside and outside were great. The turret houses the stairwell and the two posts piercing the roof come all the way up from the ground floor. The interior of the stairwell ceiling was all T&G native timber with exposed rafters (as was the dining room and conservatory). The house tumbled down 3 1/2 stories and had 7 different levels. 6 rooms had curved walls from the turret in them.

http://www.christchurchmodern.co.nz/2008/12/71-parklands-dr-architect-unknown/

I don't really know what to say about the tragedy in Christchurch. We always thought of our little country as safe and isolated from these sorts of goings on. I guess nowhere is safe anymore.

Thanks Frank. Yep - that clothes line is great. I'll have to move it but I agree it needs to be done.

Thanks Rich. Just a lack of time at the moment. Its tree planting season and our 5 acres of gardens is calling to me loudly (along with the landscaping plans). Its all about finding a balance and squeezing every available minute out of the day.

Thanks Michael. In my opinion they all have lots of personality.

In building a mock-up of this house I found it still standing on google earth. I noted the artist had already condensed it somewhat and exaggerated its best features - then I come along and do the same! Hence my motto - cheery pick absolutely everything and it will not look out of place!

I'm hoping to get a bit more done over the weekend so hopefully...

...more soon, cheers, Mark.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2019 :  7:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark

fond memories visiting your old place in 2013

"M"

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2019 :  12:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Man...how's the small project progressing....I reckon you're using up all the good weather before the Kiwi snow set's in

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2019 :  9:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks, Mario - yep - make hay while the sun shines!

Well I have been pottering along with this project - along with finally getting a coat of paint on the timber work and sorting some lighting. I would love to go LED - and will one day - but at present it was WAY cheaper to buy a few more fluorescent strip lights and use the ones I already had. The 200mm overhang of the ceiling means I get good lighting on the buildings at the very front of the layout.

The little house has come on well. Its quite a complex little bugger - especially the roof.

As you can see I had to get the lower roof piece glued in position and then put in a ridge line and other fixing for the second roof piece.

Here is the second roof piece. It took some working out to get this right.

Here is a view closest to the artists sketch. The chimney was made out of three pieces of square plastic tube. I cut angles on the two outside pieces and glued a cap on. I then painted the whole chimney with some Reeves course texture gel and painted when dry.

Windows were a selection of Grandt line, Tichy Train and Scale Structures. The paint colours are Floquil foundation and reefer white.

I had to make the end gables assymetrical to reduce the buildings width to fit my site. This is where the mock-up comes into its own - as I could easily see how it would look without a lot of wasted time and effort. Personally I like them this way.

The roof will take quite some time as it looks to all be corrugated iron. There will be a lot of cutting and fitting. There is also the gable trim to add. The bay window was quite a bit of work, but I think it adds a lot to the structure.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2019 :  9:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
You have a lot of nice looking structures planned for the layout. They take some time to get them in perspective, but it appears you have that in control. Great work.
Rich

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  07:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
I'm really enjoying your builds. Structures are my favorite part of the hobby and yours sure have all of the design and character I love to see.
Dave

David Guffey

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2019 :  08:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Iím impressed by the complicated roof sections you cut out and fit. Details like the chimney and bay windows add a lot to the overall structure.

Mike

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000