Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.
Page: of 26

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Interesting way to shape the rough scenery. I'll be watching this new to me technique. Looks like a lot more fun than the old chicken wire and newspaper method.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  08:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That’s a good way of doing your roadways, Mark. Looks to me that you can work pretty fast.

Watch out for those holes!

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent technique Mark!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting technique. How wide are your roads? Does the blue paper stand for water?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  1:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, nice to see that things are really expanding and taking shape there.
Your foamy land forms await your next creations.

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  4:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Bernd - For an area with many structures it works very well. You can get the 'feel' of the terrain from all the poly blocks, but still have the practicality of lots of flat building sites. Of course, as I progress I'll split the present blocks into smaller ones with less distance between them - but to suit the individual structures.

Micheal - yep - you can work pretty fast. With the proper foam gun you can use it to glue the pieces together as well as fill the gaps. However the guns are quite expensive, and it seems no matter how careful you are with cleaning between uses, they clog up and break down pretty quickly. The throw away cans are a little less easy to control, hence why I am gluing first. That hole had me worried! It was a real twinge right across the back - but right to the extremities so I felt the muscles take a lot of the strain. It doesn't matter how careful you are with doctors instructions - there is nothing you can do about things like holes!

Thanks, Carl. One of the things I try hard to avoid is that very stepped scenery that model railways often get. I always try hard to imagine the hillside first and then build the roads into it. This technique allows for that, but is also very practical.

Hi Bob. Yes - the blue stands for water. I keep my roads pretty narrow - around 65-70 mm (2 1/2 - 2 3/4"). Within this width I'll probably add a footpath on one side 10 - 12 mm ish (1/2").

Thanks Greg. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun soon creating land-forms on your .85 of an acre hobby farm scene! Below is a reminder of the waterside houses.

I'm hoping to get a bit more done today.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  6:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Your work is impressive. It's thought out, mocked up, assessed, adjusted and amazing in the end. I struggle even starting with the first step. Nice to see your recent progress.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  10:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lOOKING GREAT MATE...
Should be a lot to photograph when i visit in September. Surprised ??..Yep...flight booked for a quick weekend across the pond.....and maybe the dogs can take me for a walk on my visit

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_railroad_miniatures.html

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  9:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks Bill and Mario.

Bill - I'll be moving onto the next stage soon as the diorama bases are almost completed.

Mario - thanks. We'll keep in touch via facebook messenger re your upcoming visit.

The peninsula ended up in 12 different dioramas of varying shape and size. There will be a few more to create at the end of the operating space by the two mills, but for now there is enough done to move forward.

The fixed polystyrene - this section is around 10 or 12 feet long and 10" wide.

A photo from the end of the peninsula showing all the fixed poly.

My Graves elevators diorama base.

Here is a view showing the dioramas as they stack up in position. I have numbered them so you can see. I have photos of all, but will just show a few here, and use before and after shots when I get around to working in the individual dioramas.

More in a sec, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  9:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi again.

Moving onward down the peninsula...

here is one of the more interesting shaped ones.

and here it is in position.

And the horse shoe! This is the largest diorama. I spent a long time trying to decide how to cut this one.

And in position.

And a photo from the end after all of the dioramas are in place.

And one more showing the whole peninsula.

After I have finished the last of the gluing and foaming and trimming, it will be on to placement of structures, and orientation. Then building of mock-up structures will commence.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  11:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tHIS IS GOING TO BE ONE AMAZING "Maze" of winding roads & structures...( and on the artistic side of modelling )

Mark... Hope your back holds up after your recent surgury.....I assume much is done at the workbench, sitting down....

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_railroad_miniatures.html

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  11:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shaping up nicely and is looking very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how you tie these levels all together.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  09:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mark your workshop has got to be 6” deep in “snow”. You’ve got me hanging on with all this ele-variation.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 02/03/2019 09:56:45 AM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/03/2019 :  5:08:22 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.

Mario - Thanks! Actually my back likes it better if I'm moving around - so not too much sitting.

Bob - a while down the track before the dioramas will be connected - but the mock-up structures will add a whole other dimension.

Frank - yep - I need to clean up fairly regularly! Oh - and don't work in socks!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/06/2019 :  12:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well I played around with all my pictures that I have sized up closely to Ho scale. Of course some of them have smaller structures in the distance behind, and some are drawn at angles that don't quite work for my placement, and being 2-D they only work when viewed from one direction. Still, its an important part of the process. Things will no doubt change a bit - but it lets me get a pretty good feel for the overall scene. Its definitely moved on from the last time I showed this process, now that all the roads are finalized and the building sites are fleshed out, so I thought it was worth uploading a few more photos.

One from the end

Two showing wider views.

And two from a bit closer in.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000