Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 148 ]  [ Total: 154 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.
Page: of 26

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  10:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Also from across the pond... I shout "Get well soon".. I am anxiously awaiting the commencement of your South River Modelworks kitbash. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a joyous and healthy New Year.

Rich

CN6401
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  12:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit CN6401's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, your health is paramount, take care of yourself and do as the doctor orders. Been there, got the T-shirt!
Get Well soon my friend!
Ralph

Ralph Renzetti
A Touch of Yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/WeatheringbyRalph

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/15/2018 :  3:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much for your kind words, Ralph and Rich!

Rich - this area of the layout will also be a fun one! I had decided that my scratch-build of Delabarre Tap and Die couldn't fit on the layout as I would never see the back with its long veranda by the track. Then it dawned on me that as the peninsula was open on both sides that this view would be possible from a bit further back, on the other side of the peninsula. I just have to strategically place structures so as to not block this scene. The only other super kit I have (that needs a large amount of space and doesn't have a spot already allocated - either in Tellynott or Shadowlands) is Thorndike Mills. I bought this kit in Scranton at the Modelling expo in 2015 - from where I have some wonderful memories. I remember at the time being torn between this kit and Threadwell textiles. Perhaps, as John Siekirk is just nearing completion of his fantastic Delabarre and Threadwells scene, it is fortunate that I chose Thorndike mills instead. By share necessity of space and viewing angles, my scene will be fairly similar, but I hope to change Thorndike mills up a bit. On the angle is sits at, the back wall of Thorndikes will never be seen, and so my intention is to use this wall to create a larger L-shaped structure, possibly with a change in height. I'm also looking at a bit of a reconfiguration of the wooden annex with an addition tumbling down the hill somewhat like the way the back of SRM's Robinsons Electrical does.

When I'm a bit more mobile, I'll draw up and upload some plans and sketches along with some mock-up photos. Behind these two complexes, towards the back of the second curved wall, I am spoiled for choice for great New Zealand structure scenes. However one seems to keep coming to the front of my mind, and I think will eventually win out. I have found very little information out about the picture, and it is VERY hazy, but it depicts a scene showing what I believe is the Great Southern Brewery in the forefront of a steep street with some other fantastic looking structures. I think this will look fantastic in the background and will give logic to the main road coming into the peninsula.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 12/15/2018 3:24:47 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  8:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

I'm pleased to say that I feel like new! I just have to remember not do act how I feel! The first 6 weeks after the op are the most crucial, as the disc forms a new 'cap'.

I haven't been able to do much, but have spent a lot of time working on the area at the end of the of the layout, between the peninsula and the left end of my original layout. I opened my South River Modelwork's Thorndike mills box and pulled out the book, pictures and templates. I scanned in the wall plans, copied into word, and cut and copied and enlarged until the sizes were correct - using the foundation plans or actual walls as a guide. I then printed out three copies of each. I cut out the photocopied walls and also cardboard mock-ups. A lot of trial and error - both with scissors and with the positioning of mock-ups in the model room, and I came up with something I like and think works well. Obviously there are still a lot of fine details to work out.

To start with I placed both my scratch-build based on SRM's Delabarre Tap and die and the mock-up of thorndike mills in their chosen positions. My Delabarre was sized using walls from Walthers sugar refinery (which is what I used as for the brickwork). Whether this has resulted in a model larger than the SRM one or not I don't know. What I do know is that when I placed these two models together, Delabarre dwarfed Thorndikes. From there I knew a kitbash was a necessity, not just something I might like to try. It also felt as though the main stone structure of the complex would have to be increased in size, and perhaps the timber part as well - but not the timber part without increasing the stone section - that would make the kit feel lop-sided. The main back wall of the kit will never be seen in the position I have placed it in, and so this I will replace with something else. This back wall is in two pieces. One of the pieces I put on the inside of an L-extension, and the other I made two copies of and used as the outer wall of the L-extension. I made these mock-ups as two separate wings, so I could try variations in height. As I had anticipated, dropping the extension a story added a great deal of visual interest. I'm playing around with a timber extension which will be attached via a walk-over across the track and tumble down the river bank - but have not yet solved this this design improvement.

The cardboard mock-up of Thorndike mills in its approximate position on my layout.

One of the thoughts I had while doing the physical mock-up was that a track could snake in behind the two mills, feeding an industry at the very end of the peninsula (wall end). There was a nice little triangle area left over between my curved mocked-up walls. After this idea bouncing around in my head for a few days, it dawned on me that my partially completed model based on Bar Mills Graves elevators was triangular in shape and might just work. I tried the structure in various positions - up against the wall and then on the road frontage - which worked well. I placed the snaking track in position and viewed from the end of the peninsula. It was one of those lovely moments when I said to myself "Wow! that works!" Those of you that spend hours playing with mock-ups will know exactly what I mean.

Graves from the street front.

Graves from behind, showing the snake-like track leading the eye into that very deep scene.

I'll post this before cyberspace swallows it!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  8:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Mark

It's only make-believe

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  9:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks Railman - its great to be able to make some progress again!

One of the decisions I had to make was what height to put the different structures. Sidings were needed for all three structures - Graves, Delabarres and Thorndikes, but it was possible to do these at different heights. From the left end of my old layout I had one track approximately 8" from the front that could carry on around to service further industries. This track was 4 1/2" above the baseboard. This height worked well for Thorndike mills. However, when I placed Delabarre at the correct height to also have its siding at this height, it felt too low. Graves worked best for my mocked-up roads approximately 1 1/2" higher than Thorndikes. I tried Delabarre at this height, but felt that when viewed over the the peninsula from the end it obscured a little too much of Thorndikes. I then tried it midway, approximately 3/4" above Thorndikes, and 3/4" below Graves. This, I thought, worked best. At the back of the original layout, I had made a hidden siding (under my Jon H. Olson diorama) that pierces the back wall and runs along behind the backdrop (originally for hidden sidings). This I will put upwards at grade and it will re-pierce the wall near the curved backdrop and continue to Graves. A set of points will come off this track to service Delabarre. Actual grades and positioning are still to be finalized.

Here is a photo from in front showing the relative heights of the two mills. I intend to move Thorndikes a little further to the right to make slightly more room for the tributary running between the two mills.

The two mills from over the peninsula half way along.

And from the end over the peninsula. This is the compromise - still showing a satisfying amount of Thorndikes behind Delabarre Tap and Die, and giving enough height for a rocky riverbank with some drama (along with dam walls and sluice gates) in front. I'll live with these ideas for a few days and see how I feel. Compromise is the key word.

And finally - our new little bundles of grunting joy! Milly and Dotty - our two Kune kune piglets.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  10:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the GIANT building and I love ham too.

I can't wait to see the elevation changes with scenery.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 12/21/2018 10:53:48 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  11:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Frank said!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  12:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, it appears your going hog wild trying to figure stuff out there.
I'm certain that whatever final design you come up with will be all up hill from here.

Greg Shinnie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  12:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The siding weathering and the walls are a nice look for the building.
Dave

David Guffey

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  2:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice composition. The description's a bit hard to follow, but I kinda see the general direction you're headed and it looks great. I'm sure it will grow to be a stunning scene.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  2:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks Frank, Carl, Greg and Dave.

Frank and Carl - those guys are NOT for eating! It would break my wife's heart! Yes - I discovered Thorndikes is actually relatively small. In considering the timber addition I tried all sorts of kits - Bar Mills, Campbell - and all were considerably larger.

Thanks Greg - yep - plenty of hills to climb, dispersing structures as I go!

Thanks Dave - I assume you are referring to my scratch-build of Delabarre Tap and Die - not the cardboard mock-up???!! That one started out as an exercise to see what I could build with the left over walls from another kit-bash using the Walthers sugar refinery.

So here are some photos of what I ended up with. I played around with Campbell's Dewitt's Depository and Bar Mills Shipyard brewing company, among others, but they always looked too big in relation to the Thorndikes wooden annex, both in the height of the floors and the size of the windows, as well as the size of the site available. I also liked the continuity of using the same design. I started out with a two story section next to the track, but of course I couldn't get a walk-over high enough above the track. I think building up the scenery around the front, and fleshing the structure out visually with a veranda to the side (perhaps both sides at different levels) will help. I also added black card for mock-up roofs.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, some time back I used a Shipyard Brewery with Witzinger's Washboards building additions to get a longer building.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank.

That works really well. It helps a lot that both the first and second story windows are the same size and design (if you haven't altered them). I like the way you split it in half and 'framed' the shipyard brewing co.

I tried sort of cutting the shipyard brewing co. in half and turning it into a full width structure, but the share size of it overpowered the Thorndikes wooden annex. I went the whole hog and made up a mock-up with photocopied walls and put it in position on the layout. It was an instant 'NO!' It really didn't work. I'll mock-up some verandas and decks today and a little more polystyrene land and see what I think. I like the intimacy that the angled addition with the walk-over makes - and I love walk-overs Although the addition is itself quite tall and short and narrow, the walk-over visually joins it to the other annex, which changes its overall proportions.

Cheers, Mark.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/22/2018 :  5:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your dedication to mock-ups and pre-visualization always pays off in the end Mark....Bravo!

That's why we can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000