Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild
Page: of 32

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  6:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies!

John - I love this part of the build too. Yes - a ton of scratch-building. I will be putting in an order with Grandt line when they reopen - they have a much bigger selection of smaller style windows than Tichy.

Thanks Greg. The next step - creating the graded roads, helps me visualize the shape of the hillside with ridges and valleys. The structures you can't see are unique and interesting too! They are a couple of fantastic sketch books! And with one of them being 500 pages I am literally spoiled for choice.

Thanks Michael. Yes, it will certainly take a fair chunk of time to complete this peninsula! It will be interesting to get a count of houses to build as the mocking-up continues. I'm guessing there will be in excess of 100!

Thanks Bill. Yes - the coloured paper is quick and easy and tells you alot without too much effort and very little expense. Luckily large chunks of 1:1 roading filled with some of the best scenes from the books were able to be just cut and pasted from google earth. If it works in 1:1 scale it gives you a good head start! Then it was just a matter of moving those chunks around on a scale plan of the peninsula until I found something I liked and thought would work. The thought process has all be done over quite a long period, so ideas have bounced around in my head without me really realizing it.

Thanks Frank. The sketches are all done by Grant Tilly and produced by David McGill. It is the complete record of 244 Cityscapes articles which ran in The Evening Post newspaper from 1976 to 1982. Each sketch is accompanied by a page long blurb talking about things such as the original owner, the history of ownership, the neighbourhood, and what its present day condition, or the current use of the site, is.

Thanks Karl. Yes - I always have heaps of energy at this stage of things!

Thanks Railman. Its going to be neat to get stuck into!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 11/12/2018 6:30:00 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  09:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The sketches are all done by Grant Tilly and produced by David McGill. It is the complete record of 244 Cityscapes articles which ran in The Evening Post newspaper from 1976 to 1982. Each sketch is accompanied by a page long blurb talking about things such as the original owner, the history of ownership, the neighbourhood, and what its present day condition, or the current use of the site, is.

What a treasure.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/13/2018 09:06:59 AM

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2018 :  10:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
100+ buildings...a nice challenge for a scratch building project. Looking forward to the posted photos.
Dave

David Guffey

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark.....Yep it's 2 am here...just thought i'd check your progress...Might have to row across the pond early next year and checkout the progress...Maybe take the dogs for a walk also.... like the way you have used the photos from the book.....cheers mate

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  11:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

The sketches are all done by Grant Tilly and produced by David McGill. It is the complete record of 244 Cityscapes articles which ran in The Evening Post newspaper from 1976 to 1982. Each sketch is accompanied by a page long blurb talking about things such as the original owner, the history of ownership, the neighbourhood, and what its present day condition, or the current use of the site, is.

What a treasure.

I agree. Sketches like these can be invaluable when modeling a distant location or the structure is gone. Plus, artistic license means that important details are clear and extraneous or obstructing objects are eliminated.

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  2:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again!

Thanks Frank - you are so right! I remember when I found the 'cityscapes' book in a second hand bookshop during a stay in Wellington. I was blown away! It was an absolute MUST BUY!

Thanks Dave. Yes - 100 plus scratch-built structures should keep me out of trouble for a while!

Thanks Mario. I think the next step is to break down the pictures of scenes into individual structures. That should add 20-30 more houses to my stash!

Thanks Micheal. Yes - I feel working from sketches also gives me more creative licence. And you're right, any unwanted background noise has just been left out of the sketches.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2018 :  8:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Just a quick update. I arrived home this morning after back surgery yesterday. My disc had prolapsed and part of the disc 'gel' had squeezed out and was pushing on my sciatic nerve causing numbness and pain from my lower back to my foot on the left side. This gel has now been removed and I am hopefully on the road to recovery! A while of doing something between nothing and very little!

Anyway - this has been why there has been very little progress. When I'm a bit better I'll go out to the barn and take some pics of my mock-ups as they take 3-D form. I have also found a way of fitting in my scratch-build based on South River Modelworks first kit, and am working on the design of a kit-bash/ extension of Thorndike mills to sit along side. These will be at the front of the left hand end of the layout - between the peninsula and the end of my original L-shaped design.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  06:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Good news. Perhaps you could name one of the streets on your layout "Recovery Road" to commemorate :)

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  07:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get well soon Mark!

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  08:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark

I hope you have a quick recovery! I'm looking forward to your future updates.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  09:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you're recovering and heading back into the layout room! As I plan my own "town on a hill", I'm carefully studying your stuff.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, feel better soon. We all appreciate visiting Tellynott.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I hope your feeling better sooner than later.
You've got to heal now, your layout will still be waiting for you after you recover, as will we.
Have a very Merry Christmas my friend!

Greg Shinnie

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  7:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark, I "refound" this thread today after being lost in my memory for awhile. From the earlier pages it got me thinking my town on the hill doesn't need to be so flat or have straights lines.

Thank you for inspiring change.

Dave Buchholz
From the other side of the world.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/14/2018 7:35:58 PM

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2018 :  10:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your kind thoughts Bill, Carl, John, Dave, Frank, Greg and Dave! I, too, hope to be back chipping away making progress soon.

Dave - I'm pleased you re-found my thread and am glad you find some inspiration here!

In other news - there has been some barn progress - although I can't take much credit! Our old station wagon was due to be replaced. we were happy parking it outside, but when we decided to trade it in we decided the replacement needed to sleep indoors. Long term we intend to build a 2-bay barn for winter feed and vehicle parking. Short term I decided the easiest thing to do was to concentrate on Tellynott and park the new station wagon where the future model of Shadowlands will go. And so we paid to get the barn cleaned and lined - just enough so that birds flying in when the roller door is up have nowhere to land and fly back out again. I also got a temporary wall built across where I had built the large opening between the two rooms, and lined this with building paper and insulation between. I had the entire internal wall insulated so that I can heat my Tellynott room next winter without too much warmth escaping. Photos coming soon.

Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 32 Previous Topic: Emporium Seafood Co. Topic Next Topic: Loco shed, scratchbuild  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000