Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool
Page: of 26

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  10:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Feel better, those back problems aren't fun.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  10:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Your visions are inspiring...looking forward to the build!
Take care with the back issues.
Spring in New Zealand! Something for us starting winter guys to ponder.
Dave

David Guffey

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  3:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for all the comments!

John - yep - I love the research. About a half an hours drive from us is the Chertsey book barn. Chertsey is a tiny place - a few houses and a pub and that's about it. But right by the railway lines is a huge old barn chocka block with books - typically for around $2. Over the years I've found some real treasures there. Just as well I now have my own barn to store them in!

Mike - thanks! I try very hard not to get side tracked. There is always so many interesting tangents in this hobby. I just try to look down those paths, but resist the temptation to walk down them! Not always easy!

Carl - thanks! There are so many amazing scenes in these two books I have its easy to find enough material to fill in the blanks. The problem is what to leave out! I do really enjoy the planning stage. There will no doubt be a number of changes as I move into the mock-up stage, but I want the ceiling and back-drop painted and the lights installed before I start on that - and for that I need my back to be better.

Frank - thanks. The back is definitely improving, but I can't load it yet.

Dave - thanks. The two books are very inspiring to me. Its also quite a thrill when you zip around on google street view and find so many of these old homes still there and in really nice condition. Often they are even painted up in historic colour schemes. They also sometimes even look better in real life. Of course you can also view from different angles, and zoom out to satellite view to see how they fit in context.

No doubt about it being spring here, but its probably tomorrow as well! It certainly will be as I write this.

Here is one of my own photos of a great NZ mill I plan to use as part of a large complex. This will no doubt end up in the area between the peninsula and the original L-shaped layout. I plan to pair it with the Downtown Deco structure I was kit bashing out of some boneyard castings, and add some sort of shop - along the lines of a South River Modelworks complex. Just one of many ideas tumbling around in my head.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, looks like you've been a busy man!
I love the cloud/valance that you have constructed, looks like that required some work & head scratching to build & hang all that.
Will this eventually have layout lighting included in it?
Your concept drawing of the hill area looks intersting indeed.
I can't wait to see what will come of it!
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  01:45:13 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Greg!

Yes, lighting will be included. I made the ceiling 200mm (8") wider than the bench-work to make sure the very front of the layout will receive good lighting. On my diorama and the Fault Lines layout I used fluorescent tubes that came in 1,2,3 and 4' lengths and could plug into each other. They worked really well, but are no longer made. So I'm checking out LED's, which have a similar range although without a 1' tube, and also strip lighting. Things are still a lot more expensive with LED's, although coming down in price all the time. I have a fellow modeler who is a lighting expert, so a consult might be on the cards.

Cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  09:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
E-A-R-T-H-Q-U-A-K-E

I guess I'm more used to hurricanes.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 10/16/2018 09:02:06 AM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  3:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank.

Yep - for a small country we seem to have been hammered of late! The Darfield quake of 2010, the Christchurch quake(s) of 2011, and then the Kaikoura quake of 2016. At least they say things come in 3's!

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 10/16/2018 3:31:17 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  8:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Well, I've been playing around with some planning ideas for the peninsula. I started with a bit of a plan based on some of Wellingtons streets (posted previously) which featured some of my favourite scenes out of the two sketch books I own. I then photographed all my favourite scenes and structures from the books and uploaded them to the computer where I manipulated them to try to get them approximately HO in scale. I printed these off and cut up blocks of polystyrene to attach the trimmed pictures to. I grided the peninsula bench-work after covering in sheet polystyrene and then plotted my plan on it using coloured paper. I then mock-ed up the buildings.

There is still a long way to go. Everything is still in 2-D at the moment. I need to add the grade to the roads and blocks for the structures to sit at the correct height. Next will be to make 3-D mock-ups of the actual structures.

The peninsula will be view-able from three directions, so a lot of thought will need to go into things. Foreground buildings viewed from one direction will be background buildings when viewed the other way.

Here is a view looking down showing some of the roads.

A view looking along the front of the peninsula.

A view looking in from the end.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  8:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark

I love the visualization process - I will be following along as you add the grade. I see a lot of scratch built structures in your future.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, what a great way to visualize what you would like to see happen.
All of the structures that I can see, look unique & interesting!
This will be exciting to watch as you progress down your new yellow brick roads.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  07:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. And such interesting structure ideas, as Greg said. Full of character.

You have quite an ambitious undertaking but you also have vision and motivation.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/12/2018 07:48:38 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  08:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really like how you mocked up the area to get an idea of all the viewing angles and sight lines. This will be neat to follow along as always.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  10:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a great way to "picture" the way it will look. Fantastic sketches BTW.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/12/2018 10:22:10 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  10:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see we're back to the "old" Mark again. Bravo!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2018 :  1:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's going to be so neat! I look forward to seeing your progress.

It's only make-believe

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000