Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 44 ]  [ Total: 44 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool
Page: of 26

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  12:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice job on the benchwork.

It's only make-believe

jsiekirk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  7:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark

Great looking benchwork! I will be following along.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent progress Mark, well done!

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/15/2018 :  11:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Its nice to have my loyal followers watching from across the seas and oceans! Thanks for all your encouragement Carl, John, Railman, Rich and Frank!

I spent this morning carrying on - but mainly it was head-work, making decisions and getting the next section started so I remembered what I had decided to do! This involved unboxing the Tellynott corner diorama, putting it in place, and designing the curved wall behind it. At the old house one section of the L-shaped layout had its own backdrop and then the curve 'melded' into the back wall of the garage. So things had to be changed, recalculated, and the path of least resistance - in the long term - decided upon. I got as far as re-cutting the curve in the baseboard and cutting out the ceiling piece with the 8" cantilever.

It was nice to see the corner module out in the light again - but I must stay strong and keep chipping away at the bench-work - any diversions into mocking up of models at this stage will only waste time.

We have two kune kune pigs arriving in November, so this afternoon I started on some fencing. There will be quite a bit to do for the conversion of another part of our land into an alpaca paddock at a later stage - so I will use the pig paddock as a chance to hone my non-existent farm fencing skills!

PS please feel free to follow along with my progress at 'Heartfield Homestead' with my monthly updates of our slow progress!
https://heartfieldhomestead.wordpress.com/

More soon, cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  12:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Well the next stage is now completed so thought I should update.

Photo showing the timberwork behind the fascia

photo with the curved fascia installed

Photo looking back at the corner.

I have installed the last piece of fascia and moved the two sections into place. They are held together with 4 12mm coach bolts, 2 in the L-girder joists, one behind the top of the backdrop and one at the front of the ceiling. The props are only temporary, and there is actually very little sag when I take them out.

Next job is to paint the ceiling and backdrop in sky blue and order some lighting. I also have to make a few decisions on my future layout plan so I know what height to make the next two sections. I will be adding approximately 49 square feet to my urban layout, but a large chunk of this will be residential housing tumbling down the hill towards the harbour. This will give me many hundreds of hours of structure building, but further trackwork to this part of the layout will be minimal. Connection to the future part of Shadowlands does need to be considered at this stage, and I'm also thinking that the front of the peninsular under the hill would be a good place for hidden staging.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  09:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, just catching up with your progress on your layout construction.
Things seem to be progressing quite nicely!
You make me feel jealous, that I don't have a layout room to work in yet.

Greg Shinnie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress Mark!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2018 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm jealous.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  12:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Thanks Greg, Carl and Frank! Its great to have a small crowd cheering for me!

I carried on with some design and on Thursday my friend Neil came around for a few hours and we chalked some parallel lines and square lines on the floor, set out my base boards, and drew out my plan in pencil (lots of nice maths with all the curved corners). I then got to get a feel for it and think about some adjustments.

First, here is a photo of the back of the curved wall. I'm a beggar for punishment, because even though this was so much work, I've added lots more curves to the layout!

And here are the 16mm MDF sheets laid out on the floor. The small piece at the end has been in storage waiting for 15 years! I knew I'd need it one day!

Below is the plan as I had drawn it. I had previously mocked this up at bench height and was happy that the spaces all worked OK. I then decided to add about 6" of length to the yard tracks, which in effect made the inside of the operating/ viewing area 6' wider. I was also concerned with the 'feel' of the angled straight section at the inner off the'U' and the difficulty of access to the area against the wall.

And here is the revised shape. I tried to emulate the existing layout area, using existing angles, and kept the curves to 12" on the external corners and 18" on the internal corners (the 'cloud' above will have 10" curves on the internal corners - about the minimum I can get the 2.75mm MDF to negotiate). You can see I added width to the end of the peninsular - it is now 4' wide rather than 3'4" - and added curves to the ends. The new angle at the center end of the 'U' is opposite to the angle at the end of the peninsular - and that angle is parallel to the one on the opposite existing bench-work. Opinions???

I have been thinking about track work, but in this part of the layout the residential housing will rule. I think a large residential housing area is very seldom modelled, and will be quite a feature, and so I don't want to make sacrifices to get more track in - the bear minimum will have to suffice!

Those interested in what the residential scene might look like can google 'harbourscapes by david McGill and Grant Tilly' under images. The front cover is what the end of the peninsular will be based on.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  10:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, Carl and Frank! Its great to have small crowd cheering for me!

Small but mighty.

NICE !

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/27/2018 10:41:41 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/27/2018 :  11:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gee thanks Frank....

Mark, that "Harbourscapes" is fantastic. I think your the right man for the job .

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  11:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark..... looking good Man....I'll come over when you're ready for scenery work... cheers mate

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  11:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress on the layout Mark, I'm jealous too! Wish I had the room for half of what you have there. That will be quite a beautiful city scape you have planned, can't wait to see it to futrition.
Rich

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  02:49:28 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Frank, Carl, Mario and Rich.

Yes - it is great to have loads of space. I did look at a double decker layout after the fact - but for me it would have to have only one scene from each side. In the end I concluded that I would loose as much space as I would gain, as well as having to build stairs and floors. It would also mean having portable sections on wheels would not be possible. I know I would enjoy the headwork involved. As I was sketching up a little plan on a scrap piece of timber I was already thinking through how I might go about building it.

I moved next door into the second room on Saturday and Sunday morning, doing lots of invisible work. The exterior wall had been lined with bracing ply, but of course no insulation was put in the walls. Instead of using clouts, the builder had used 3" ribbed gun nails. These I punched one by one, removed the ply, installed the insulation and then re-nailed (through solid timber). Several hours latter, and with a very cramped left hand, things looked exactly the same as they had when I started! I then started on the horrid job of cleaning down the trusses - wearing all the safety gear. I made my way half way across the room before dinner time. In the morning the trusses were all dry and looking very clean, and I cut and nailed up the ceiling battens. Nice to get a bit of the next stage underway - especially all that nail punching!

On Monday Jim Hopes from Tampa, Fl, had a day in Christchurch after a business trip. He had taken the Trans Alpine from Chch to Greymouth on the Saturday, spent Sunday in Greymouth with a trip to Shanty Town, and then returned in the evening. This rail journey is rated as one of the 7 most scenic rail trips in the world. Jim gave it a 10/10! I picked Jim up from his hotel at 10am, and dropped him off again about 12.5 hours latter. The weather wasn't the best but we fitted in a little of the city, a drive through the red zone, a beach visit, a drive over to Lyttelton (Tellynott's name sake) and around the bays and then over sugar loaf to my friend Neil's place. Jim then took us both out for lunch, before spending the afternoon in Neils scenic masterpiece in 1:34.5. Jim and I then drove out to our homestead where we had dinner before a look at some of my modelling and the barn conversion. A lovely day with great company.

Following on from that I would like to remind everyone that the biannual NZMRA convention will be held in Christchurch in 2020 over the Easter weekend. Christchurch holds the show every 10 years and always puts on a good one. For those of you planning a visit to this beautiful part of the world, it might be a good date to aim for.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 08/07/2018 04:41:56 AM

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  5:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim would have been amazed with Neil's basement layout..
Mark..can i pre book a room at your home resort for Easter 2020. I promise not to upset the dogs on this visit...

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove Topic Next Topic: Rookie takes on RDAs J&J Tool  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000