Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 150 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.
Page: of 26

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  7:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Have to have at least one Dogo Argentino.
We had adapted two 24 years ago from a dog fighting ring in Chester Pa.. Put a better way, we, (myself and 7 other ex military veterans) on a tip from law enforcement took (rescued) all eight fighting dogs. It's a longer story but you get the picture. The two Dogo's were suppose to train the others but refused to do so, this lead to them being ill treated, worse than the pit bulls. We took all eight to vets that we know and all eight were adapted to great homes.The Dogo is a most amazing dog. In the hands of the right owner there is not better dog. I have adapted over 20. My incredible wife and I are on our ninth. Check out Best Friends in Utah.
Sorry to be so off topic. My apologies.
ed

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  8:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, I had a look at your new place on your blog.
It looks awesome! I hope it turns into a great adventure!
With all that land now at your disposal, why not think about a larger scale live steam train & track running through the new Dalrymple Acres.
Just doodling in my mind.

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  8:51:38 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank and ed.

We got snowed off work here today, Frank, so I've actually been doing a little doodling in the warm watching the horrid weather through the dining room window!

Ed - when we did our driving tour of Utah in 2015 we ended up being double booked with our accommodation in Moab. We were offered a full refund and asked the guy to donate our refund to 'friends of Utah'. I hope it made it! We train our Bull mastiffs at Saturday classes - obedience, rally-o, agility - they love it! I think it is very important to have big dogs well trained and socialized.
People meeting our dogs on the street are amazed how friendly they are. Daisy and Cornelius are our 4th and 5th bull mastiffs. I'm sure there will be more!

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  8:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh and Ed - great work you and your wife (and your friends) are doing!

Greg - my wife has put her foot down on that one! Don't think I haven't suggested it!

Cheers, Mark.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  12:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mark,
If your wife ever meets one she will fall in love. Barb did x two. They are often misunderstood, as are many other dogs, small and large. Good teaching (training) as with animals and humans goes a long way. Animals get with the program, many humans(?) don't. No such thing as a bad dog only a bad owner. Well I have bored everyone enough. Time to walk my Shepard/Pit Bull and more mix. His name is Satchel from the comic strip Get Fuzzy.
You guys are the best, and truly enhance my day. Thank you kindly.
ed

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  08:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a blast having 2 dogs, because they have such different personalities.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  12:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... what a superb thread. Some awe-inspiring modelling work. This kind of thing is exactly what I'm trying to replicate myself with my planned N scale layout. Thanks for sharing this. :)

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, Each one is different and precious. Ask only to be loved. Faithful for ever.
Had more than two for short periods, until a good home was found. Had at least one for well over 60 years.
ed

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/13/2017 :  02:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the comments Ed, Dave and Daniel.

You have no idea how many times over the last few years my wife and I have said to each other when things got extra stressful "but we've got puppies!" Nothing like puppy cuddles at the end of the day!

Thanks Daniel! Great to hear! I'm really looking forward to getting right back into this project.

Below is my doodling so far. There are lots of extra things to consider and make allowances for. One thing our earthquakes taught us is that you can't count on anything being permanent. I also noted after our quakes that the part of my layout on wheels and free standing suffered far less damage than the parts attached to the walls. With this in mind the whole layout will be built free standing, on wheels, and sectional. The sections will be designed to come apart into movable chunks, but only after cutting of scenery - movable if absolutely necessary. All sections will have their own back walls (and in some cases side walls) and ceilings complete with lighting.

Tellynott is in the upper left of the room with a new section to be built at the right end. I played around with the idea of turning Tellynott into a sideways capital-G, but I feel this would cramp the viewing space too much. I can always change my mind on this at a latter date, or even make a mock up to see. You can see where I have left the central load bearing wall in place. In this way the city scene will seem very separate to the mountain scene, but still connected.

The original Shadowlands plan I have blown up yet again, making the curves somewhere close to 26" radius. I have added a further section to the right of the load bearing central wall and a thin section along the back of Tellynott. This should have the affect of making the viewer feel as if they are right in the midst of the mountains. I should also be able to create some very deep scenes. Shadowlands will have a helix at the bottom left corner and this will join onto the Tellynott section via a hidden triangle (with good access!). Trains will be able to leave Tellynott, do one (or several) circuits of Shadowlands, and then return to Tellynott facing in the opposite direction.

As you can see I have also saved room to 'park' my Fault Lines layout. I will be able to work on it in this area (it too is built on wheels), but as it can be viewed from one end and both sides, it takes up too much real estate if I leave it with the whole thing comfortably view-able. It is designed as a display layout for the train shows, so I'm not too worried about this. Besides, it will be some time before I get that far through! - although I do hope to get some bench-work up as soon as the barn is ready.

In the lower right you will see a 1.2m (4') opening. This is to get the Fault Lines layout out for shows. There is a large roller door spanning across here approximately 4m (13'4"), and I have to yet decide how to negotiate this. Its something I'll have to wait until we have moved in to see what can be done.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Edited by - mark_dalrymple on 07/13/2017 02:11:42 AM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  01:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Just thought I would touch base.

Last night we sold our present home at auction, and next weekend we move into our new home with 11 acres and a big barn! I may be off line for a little while while we get the emergency things sorted (fencing for the dogs etc).

In modelling news I bought a book while in Auckland recently - 'the Compleat Cityscapes' by David McGill and Grant Tilly. It is 500 A4 landscape pages of drawings of Wellington buildings - mainly houses built on/ into the hills. Most are weatherboard villas. This has inspired me to model a large section of the new part of Tellynott as a residential area. This will also mean that the idea of turning Tellynott into a sideways capital 'G' is back on the table and likely to stay their!

Cheers, Mark.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  10:33:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the new property! When we visited NZ, we didn't spend enough time in Wellington (just 1 day, enough for the museum and a walkabout in town.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  4:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Just thought I'd give a quick update. The Christmas holidays are here and I'm finally able to spend a bit of time in our barn. The last four months has been mad as I have been working more hours than usual (while my boss recovers from shoulder reconstruction), as well as trying to maintain our new plot and make some changes (some very necessary - such as building a dog run).

There is a lot of work to do on the barn before it is fit for models, but I am well underway with the bird proofing. The division wall needs to be modified to suit my plans, and some bulkheads built around a few protrusions.

Photo showing the division wall. I need to open up a section to the right and move the door a short distance further to the left.

Wire needs to be run in the walls, and ceiling battens added. Then insulation installed and wall and ceiling lining added. Then comes stopping and painting a the last bits of tidying up. Of course there is all the bird cleanup to do once the bird proofing is complete, and a few birds to evict!

Bird proofing between the utility bay and the model room. No birds getting through the roof space there!

It will be a lovely big space when finished approximately 33' by 19' with ceilings at 11'8". The high ceilings and large overhangs on the East side keeps the temperature from getting too hot in the summer. At the South (left) end there is a small kitchenette and toilet with access from the outside (East and West), and above this is a small loft with access from the model room.

The barn from the back (West) and South side. The small door is to the toilet and kitchenette. The model room is from the roller door to the left of this down to the end of the vertical timbers.

The front (East) side. The fig is on the back of the utility bay which protrudes a further 3'4". The door to the right gives access to an office - or future model making room. The roof overhangs quite some distance here (5'), meaning one can get from the model room to the kitchenette without getting wet in the rain. I could add an internal door - but quite like the idea of these two areas being separated.

An internal shot showing the loft area.

As this project will take some time to get finished - especially as I am hoping to get some materials - such as plasterboard - free when left over at work (Occasionally we get a phone call saying there are several sheets of plasterboard left over that are destined for the skip), I have set up a small work station in our garage where I can model in the meantime. Hopefully I can make some good progress over the Christmas break!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  5:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

Despite all the work you have do such as bird proofing, I am sure most of us are envious of the space available to you. Lots of open floor space.

The only problem I see is having to work upside down. Or are you simulating the orientation of your building for us northern hemisphere modelers? (Some of your photos display upside down.)

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  5:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Mark,

Despite all the work you have do such as bird proofing, I am sure most of us are envious of the space available to you. Lots of open floor space.

The only problem I see is having to work upside down. Or are you simulating the orientation of your building for us northern hemisphere modelers? (Some of your photos display upside down.)
Mike,
This happened to another individual, the reason was when taking the pictures on a cellphone, they were taken with the phone in an upright position. They need to be taken with holding the phone horizontally. So they say
Rich

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2017 :  5:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, it's nice to hear from you!
Your barn looks like a good sturdy structure, for your future layout plans.
You just need to finish taking it back from your feathered friends.
Please keep us posted, as you move along.
Happy New Year to you and your wife!

Greg Shinnie

Page: of 26 Previous Topic: H0 Scale Ford models Topic Next Topic: P. Henderson & Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 5.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000