Railroad Line Forums - Tellynott corner module
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 41 ]  [ Total: 41 ]  [ Newest Member: 36Plyguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR
Page: of 19

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  4:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

I will, in weeks to come, carry on with this module, but for now, just wanted to let everyone know I was safe. At present, we still have no internet, so can only reply every few days when out and about.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that myself and all that i know (so far) are all OK after Christchurch's 6.3 earthquake. Although much small than our september 7.1, this earthquake (on a newly discovered fault line I believe) was much closer to the city and far shallower. it caused substantial damage in the central city ( including the total destruction of two multi story buildings) and also many of the burbs. The death toll last I heard was 113, but this is expected to rise to over 200. Many of the older buildings were OK or saveable after our sept earthquake, but are now piles of rubble.

On a positive note, Tellynott lives on, with some repairable damage. I will post pics of the Tellynott damage when we have internet back on at home, and an update.

Its a good day to be alive.

Cheers, Mark.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  4:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Mark my Kiwi friend!
So glad to hear that you are well & safe!
I wish you and your country a speedy recovery from this terrible tragedy.

Greg Shinnie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  6:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best wishes to everyone in the Christchurch area! (We visited Christchurch in '05 during our Round-the-World trip.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Iím glad to hear you are safe. Our thoughts are with you and your neighbors.

George

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/25/2011 :  7:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, it's good to have good news from you, but these casualties figures are awful. Our thoughts go to you in these terrible days.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  12:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark
Hope you're O.K. Absolutely devastating damage, and shocking news all round. In Aus we've been through some terrible tragedies in the last couple of years and it's never good news. I've been to Christchurch a couple of times. A lovely city, but won't be the same again.

Thinking of our mates over the Tasman.
Regards Rob

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  03:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you are safe Mark.

Such a terrible thing that has happened. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  5:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Thank you so much for all your kind wishes.

Cheers, Mark.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2011 :  7:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you are O.K. Mark, best wishes to everyone over there!

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  11:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone.

Well, I went off on a bit of a tangent for a little while, but am back to Tellynott now. I felt the need to build some benchwork, so built myself a small 6' by 3'2" layout based on John Allen's first layout with some interesting shunting possibilities in the centre. The bench work is up, the mainline track laid, and trains are running, but the comming winter and the neccessity of the car living in the garage ment it was time to migrate back down to the basement studio. I've carried on with Goodrich Footwear Co. and here are some pics and captions.

Goodrich Footwear Co. is, I believe, finished. If you spy any possible improvements, or errors, please let me know - even if it's too late to repair them - as I can use the information on my next project. Well, here's a few pics.

Its heading on for 1 o-clock and the first lunch-break shift are about to retrun to work.

A view looking down the road from the top of the hill.

Jimmy (the Goodrich Footwear Co's delivery man) shows Mr Rubenstein a riff he's just learnt on his new guitar (it goes del-ba-del-del). Mr Rubenstein is the local music teacher. He smiles and gives Jimmy the time of day, but he's been away on business, and has a new Beethoven piano score in his satchel, and there's really nowhere he'd rather be than at home in front of his steinway.

Mrs Goodrich is returning back to work after some lunchtime shopping. It's 1932 and the budget its stretched as tight as a new pair of shoes as it is. She really hopes she can hide that bag before her husband sees it! (Miss White can be seen busily sewing away in one of the second story windows, while down below the Goodrich's son Jack works on a pair of boots).

A view showing the roof planes and various materials.

Smoko on the deck.Bob has the daily Herald open at the crossword page, but it's really just a ruse so he can catch a few zzz's.

This last shot shows the view up the river bed.

There is a light breeze blowing from the north, and the birds are twittering in the trees. For just a little while the workers have forgotten about the daily struggle of these extremely tough times. I hope you've enjoyed your trip to Goodrich Footwear Co. in Tellynott on this sunny 1932 afternoon.

Cheers, Mark.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  02:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
Good looking building,
Good story telling,
Good to see you at the bench again,
Good to see recovery well on its way.

Bob Harris
who also lives on the "ring of fire".

It's only make-believe

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  5:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the building very pleasant, Mark, and the place with this very steep grade quite attractive.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  8:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mark, this building looks great!
And much more interesting to look at incorporated into the hill.
I hope the guy sitting on the bumper has the parking brake on in the truck!

Greg Shinnie

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  05:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments Bob, Fredric, and Greg, they are much appreciated.

Bob, I really enjoy the story telling - maybe its all that time I spent as a kid reading John Allen's book. I find it gives life to the static structures, and also helps you think of other details. If your layout is filled with certain people with certain personalities, then those people will all have various needs and wants - which maybe somewhat unusual and something you wouldn't normally think of.

Well I decided my next project will be to get my structure based on SRM's Rugg Manufacturing underway. Its footprint is only 8" by 9" - a selectively compressed version of a selectively compressed version of several structures woven into one (if you will). I'm hoping that the actual size reduction from the SRM version will not make the building appear too small, and this reduction in footprint will be offset by the increase in height and the various roof planes seemingly tumbling down the hill. It will be an interesting build, especially with the two curved roads surrounding it at gradient. Tonight I chose all the windows and doors from my box of tricks and positioned them on the mock-up, moving and changing them until I was happy. That took up all tonights modelling time! (there are a lot of windows in this structure, even though the back wall will never be seen and will be windowless). I'll update as I progress.

Thanks for checking in on my progress,

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/15/2011 :  12:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

My first Rugg update as promised.

The cardboard mock-up as my reference, the base (8" square), the vast majority of the walls (still a few unseen walls to cut out), and the windows and doors (and a random elephant!) The walls are mainly 'aged' (and prototypically fairly unrealistic but looks good) weatherboard. The small addition to the left and the two story addition to the right behind the building with the capola are verticle siding. There is also a fair amount of block walls which stagger down the hill. To save on siding I will join some of the walls with some thin cedar flitches I've had for years where they will not be seen, and these I have also used as the full unseen walls. More soon!

Cheers, Mark.

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  06:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys.

Well I've got a little done so thought I'd post an update.

The walls are painted a very weathered antique white and the trim is concrete. The concrete blocks were primed grey and then weathered with A&I and chalks. Most of the completed walls are just sitting in position for the photo. there are still three small aditions to add.

More to come soon,
Cheers, Mark.

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry Topic Next Topic: More New Construction on the F&SM RR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000