Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 204 ]  [ Total: 204 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 19

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  9:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Great disclamier, guess I should have said..the wood strips vice the model. Thanks for catching me on that.

Les

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  08:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress...I will be glad if my kit
shows up when I get back from vacation.....

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 02/15/2011 :  08:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Geezer,
Karl is the only one working right now...I have my prescribed chalks from art supply store, I hope to get a evening to work on this technique, I have done it before, but I want to retry it to see how it goes.

Question, you are retired, why do you need a vacation? are you tired of retirement? so you need a rest or break?...just kidding it is kinda funny though...enjoy the grandkids and the warm weather...oh thats why you need a vacation from the snow and cold.

Les

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  7:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL Les.....Yeah....retirecd on vacation....or is it a leave of absence
from the snow and cold as you say? I hope when I get back two things have
happened....1-the snow is gone and 2.....well, you know.....
Having a great time with Tait & Keegan ...pictures later....
Nice going Karl....done yet? LOL!

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Geezer, nope not done yet, just sitting here waiting for some of you others to get started and join me, I know there's a bunch of kits out there.........

Karl.A

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 02/22/2011 :  07:43:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well - I got my wish! The snow is "almost"
gone and the Wood Cutters Shack was waiting
for me when I got home! I've already sent
a email "Thanks" to Brett! ;-)
Just a few things to complete on another project,
and I can get started on this one...I will be
looking for much guidance from you "older" guys!
LOL!

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So....I hope I'm not going too fast for you chaps....
Stressed all 147 pieces of stripwood this morning and placed them back in appropriate bags.
Got out some spare stripwood and tested some colors for effect. Your input/opinion is needed.

Left to right:
Regular (1)A/I and (2)A/S (Sepia)
Rembrandt soft pastels (3)White over A/S
(4)Light Gray/bare wood (5)Light Gray over A/I
(6) White over Burnt Umber (7)Burnt Umber with extra wash of alcohol
(8)Burnt Umber (9)I forgot (10) Black with White and alcohol wash
The colors are pretty much as they are here. All are soft and will look better with some dust and such.
So, I'm fishing for some direction here....all comments/advice welcome......

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  5:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Numbers 4 or 6 get my vote.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  7:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 is nice too.

So, I was wondering what happened to the great progress Karl was making and also the interesting beginning that Nick was so kind as to show us????? Inquiring minds need to know!

Elliott

Edited by - ETinBH on 03/23/2011 7:28:20 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  8:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ETinBH

5 is nice too.

So, I was wondering what happened to the great progress Karl was making and also the interesting beginning that Nick was so kind as to show us????? Inquiring minds need to know!

Karl is having a cold one!!!

And the other guy, Nick who????

Besides that 4 & 6 for sure.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 03/23/2011 8:20:20 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  8:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
1,4,5 & 6 definately, maybe the odd 10 thrown in for severe contrast.

Hey! Damn right I'm having a cold one, it's 8pm and 82 around here, warm pizza and ice cold sprite hits the spot after 8 hours at work and then 4 in the yard..... (82 in the shade incidentally, not in the sun where I was.)

Not sure about 'great' progress Elliot, however, as there are a large number of these kits out there I kinda just backed off and was hoping for several people to join in on the build with me, that always livens things up and also pushes participants and contributors to come up with ideas.

Karl.A

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  9:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.....I will give it til tomorrow .....
But I was hoping for 6 or less.....7,8,9 and 10
are too dark, but I had to try.....I prolly will go
easier on the chalk on the first6 anyway....in fact,
I will probably drop 1 & 2 as well.....

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2011 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bill, rub the 'too dark' pieces with some steel wool, it will lighten the chalk colouring and also give you some effects you may like. It will highlight the grain and give some nice definition to the textures in the individual boards, in addition to lightening the colour.

Karl.A

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  6:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Karl, I am not real sure your plan is contributing that much to the overall participation we are seeing here - I will, however, report that I can now be counted among those you mention that possess the kit. In that regard, I feel a certain obligation to complete my venture with the Hacker Shack first. I am sure Bill will carry on nicely without me for the near term.

Elliott

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2011 :  9:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You may be right Elliot, the "cunning plan" seems to be falling on deaf ears.

All that is left to do is to show my progress on the shingled roof in the hopes of enticing some others to join in, while Bill catches up.

Karl.A

Side note: this is in fact a portrait of an old (previously lost to the world) shingle which I hastily found under my desk.
Photography commenced after I set up the correct lighting conditions, and it was dusted free of dog hair.... and 'other' things found under my modelling desk.

This is NOT a shingle from the Wood Cutters Shack, simply a stunt double used for the photo shoot, real shingle pictures will follow, when I actually do them....

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000