Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 194 ]  [ Total: 198 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 19

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  08:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Karl.

Mark

W,L,&E

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim, Wes and Mark.

I use some convex nail clippers Wes.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/08/2011 3:13:24 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Started building and installing the windows...

Time for a trip to Michaels and a quick break..

Karl.A

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  3:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there's that dang wrench I lost... shame it's not your hammer...

brett

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  3:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
!!!!

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/10/2011 3:25:27 PM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  7:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like your experienced in trim carpentry. nice and tight!

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great touch with the wrench! And the coloring of the wood ain't bad either! As it's been said before: "PLEASE SIR, SOME MORE"...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  11:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Philip and Kris, much appreciated.

Now the trim work is done Philip... no gaps....

I also removed and replaced a few of the siding boards that I wasn't happy with.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/10/2011 11:53:01 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  10:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl... question for you. I really like the silver tones in the wood along with the brown-black hue you obtained. I pulled out a couple of pieces of O scale strip wood to test last night. I grained the wood and then applied the burnt umber (408.3) chalk (Rembrandt) per the usual scraped chalk method onto dry wood and then set the chalk with both ETOH and mineral spirits. Problem is, I did not come up with anything close to your colors as seen on my monitor in either test batch. (One batch had the chalk set with ETOH, the other set the chalk with mineral spirits.) Both of my sets are much more black-brown than the colors you achieved. (More like the 7th board from the left in your picture of the siding and framing posted earlier on page 1.)

Can you answer the following:
1) You did apply the chalk to dry strip wood and then applied the solution to set the chalk?
2) You used ETOH, not mineral spirits, to set the chalk, correct?
3) Did you apply any additional coloring or wash solution after the chalk had dried? I'm thinking here a additional gray chalk or some other weathering solution?
4) Did you use the paper rubbed on the wood technique to 'polish' the strip wood?
5) You did 'scrape' the chalk onto the strip wood, not grind the pastel (like on sandpaper) prior to the chalk being applied to the wood?
6) Did you use a hair dryer to dry the chalked wood? (Sorry, can't remember who it is that uses the hair dryer a lot. Great technique however.)
7) You did all of the chalk coloring in a single pass, not two or three chalk coloring sessions, correct?
8) Any other thoughts on what we could be doing differently?

I'm still waiting for Brett to send my kit as I intend to lightly modify it for use on the mine diorama as a pump house, and I think the gray colors you got will really work well in this setting. The only other thing I can think of is that I applied too much chalk, but my 'lighter' chalked pieces have a browned hue and look closer to the raw strip wood color, like they did not get enough of the pastel coloring.

Thanks in advance for the assist.

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 02/11/2011 10:50:19 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'll answer shortly Kris, need to get some things out onto the bench first.....

Karl.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  12:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I have clarified in my first post the colours used.

It was only the framing that I used 408.3 raw umber, for the siding I used black... 700.5

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/11/2011 3:49:27 PM

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  12:33:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh. I was going to say that my coloring looked more like your framing than the siding, but then did not do so. I don't have that particular pastel chalk, and in fact need to expand my selection of black chalks as I only have a couple so I'll snag it today at the art store. Let me give that color a shot... that will probably fix my problem. Thanks.

-- KP --

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  1:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/13/2011 1:55:56 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  1:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Colour corrected final image....

Karl.A

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  3:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tutorial Karl, thanks. Looks like we did about the same process, with the only difference being that I used the steel wool right after graining the wood but prior to the chalk application. I also did not do any A-I soaking prior to the additional coloring. I'll go back and take a few passes with the steel wool and see what I get.

Again, thanks.

-- KP --

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000