Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 19

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2014 :  10:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The beginning of many...

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/21/2014 3:47:03 PM

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may proceed ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  12:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Nice grain and texture in those castings! And your weathering techniques really show them off to best advantage. Looking great!!!

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2014 :  05:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh yes. Those look fantastic Karl.

I loved this kit. Was my first SWSM build, so your pics bring back fond memories.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies Dallas, Stu and Wes. Good to read from you all.

did a little more work on some of the castings, trying to ease myself back into it and show some progress.

Gotta love Brett's castings, clean, crisp and no clean-up

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/21/2014 7:51:35 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  11:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just caught up with this build, sorry. You are doing tedious work, but I'm sure you can handle it and you are doing a beautiful job.

Rich

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parts and cart look great!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  09:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Karl. Your right the detail parts are the best around. And you sure make them come to life.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  11:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the posts Rich, Dallas and Jerry, great to hear from you all, thanks for the kind words.

Rich, working with Brett's castings is far from tedious. The castings are incredibly well detailed,
their crispness and clarity is unrivaled and you get far more for your money than any other manufacturer.
This makes them a pleasure to work with/on.

The castings can look fantastic with quick and simple techniques or you can spend more time on them and
make them look even better.

Working with Brett's castings and improving my techniques is one of the most enjoyable parts for me.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/22/2014 11:49:10 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  12:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love these parts. What looks like an air pump is particularly nice.
And your job is very neat as usual.

PortEmerson
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  2:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great job on those details, I hope I could even come close to these with mine!

Joe

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  01:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Thanks for the posts Rich, Dallas and Jerry, great to hear from you all, thanks for the kind words.

Rich, working with Brett's castings is far from tedious. The castings are incredibly well detailed,
their crispness and clarity is unrivaled and you get far more for your money than any other manufacturer.
This makes them a pleasure to work with/on.

Karl,

I have a ton of Brett's castings, and have yet to weather any of them. Just trying to build a few structures before I do. I think I attemped some of them with alcohol & chalks at an earlier time, and it worked well for me, but I never added any paint or anything else to them. I will have to try it soon. Thanks for the information.

Rich

The castings can look fantastic with quick and simple techniques or you can spend more time on them and
make them look even better.

Working with Brett's castings and improving my techniques is one of the most enjoyable parts for me.

Karl.A

djdutch
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  08:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit djdutch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just jump in here and take a look, Karl your castins are looking really great sometimes I wish I had some kind of blacken it solution to blacken my white metal part unfortunately I can't get it here in te Netherlands.
So I prime and paint all my castings before weathering.

I follow this build along and can you do some how to on how you paint your castings and the colors and products you use.

DJ

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How in heck did I miss this thread? Got a lot of catching up to do.

Arthur

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  3:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies Frederic, portemerson?, Rich, DJ and Arthur.

DJ, PCB echant also works as a blackener, actually better than the A-west Blacken-it. This should be available at an electronics shop.

DJ, the details here were all done with the techniques I just described in the recent tutorial including how-to and what with. The castings are now essentially finished for this build.

Thanks for reading,

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/25/2014 4:06:52 PM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000