Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 207 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 19

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  07:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Karl. I love the colour.

Ive managed to finish my shack and i have started my 6 pole shed. Below are some pictures.

Im contemplating tonong down the colour of the shingles a bit. What do you think?

Look forward to your responses.

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  10:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wes - nice job - I wonder if you have checked out some roofs in the neighborhood to get a feel for the colors represented - that would be what I will use to prepare mine.

Elliott

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  05:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back at the bench, Karl.
Nice work, Wes.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, although I havent actually been away from the bench, I've been working on 'other stuff'.....

http://sierrawestscalemodels.com/oscale/306/306.shtml

The shingles were snapped to length Marty.

Karl.A

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  10:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Thanks Frederic, although I havent actually been away from the bench, I've been working on 'other stuff'.....

http://sierrawestscalemodels.com/oscale/306/306.shtml

The shingles were snapped to length Marty.

Karl.A

Thanks Karl, that's a cool kit you're working on..

andykins
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  11:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit andykins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nice work wes. i like it but i feel like the roof needs something but i am not sure (im still not 100% on my own roofs, i just added stuff till it came right)

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  2:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a wash of ai to try blend it in a bit more. Will post some pics later.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  2:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a wash of ai to try blend it in a bit more. Will post some pics later.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  3:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

..... that's a cool kit you're working on..

Thanks Marty, that's the finished build....

I'm already deep into something else now also.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/21/2011 3:27:01 PM

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  11:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wes,

I like the color variation on your shingles. My only suggestion would be to the soften colors just a bit.

You mentioned using A/I to do this. My concern would be that it would darken the colors and not help blend them together.

You might consider using soft pastel chalks (not weathering powders which have a adhesive in them.)

Light grays or even better yet a light tan color, would give your shingles a nice dusty look.

Just my .02 cents

Michael

Edited by - silveradonorthern on 07/21/2011 11:41:05 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  1:38:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Spent a little time today adding the top row of 'half' shingles and then the roof cap.

I guess the next thing to do will be the rafters and then on to the six pole shed....

Karl.A

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  2:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, you, too, have acheived a nice coloration on your shingles. I notice you chose to leave the frizzlies on the end of each and they do not appear to have been split or weathered on the ends - do you plan on any additional treatment to them?

Elliott

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Elliot,
it's not finished yet, the roof will get some further attention.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 10/02/2011 10:45:27 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  8:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's been quite a while since I was in here so I figure it's time to brush off the dust and try to get this ball rolling again.....

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  8:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Details, details, details....

It seems that I have misplaced quite a few of the detail castings in the last couple of years, or possibly used one or two else where. I'm sure they'll turn up tomorrow when I have a good look for them....... in the mean time I have plenty of others to get started on.

As always with Bretts castings the clarity and detail is exceptional and there is next to no (if any) clean up required prior to prepping.

Metal detail parts.....

Blackened with "a-west blacken-it"... ready for some judicial buffing.

Resin detail parts ready for painting, atleast the ones I could find....

"wooden" items primed with earth/tan colour spray paint.
"metal" items primed with black spray paint.

Karl.A

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000