Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 215 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale
Page: of 19

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  1:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Nooooo... I havent finished mine already...

I'm actually sitting here in Bretts office looking at the incredible pilot model as built by Brett with details painted and weathered by Kevin. It far excedes any picture on Bretts site.

I can't wait to get home in the next day or two and get it started, until then I am studying the original intently.

Anyone else who has recieved their kits please join in.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/19/2011 10:32:56 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  2:14:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
You must have places some order to have to go pick it up!
The pilot looks so good.
Larry

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  2:28:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK...so this is where it begins?
Or, is it the original thread?
Inquiring minds want to know.....

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  2:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Karl, et al,
I will be the first to break the hermetically sealed box...its kind of like a archealogy dig, you find treasure, hands shaking, palms sweaty, beads of water running down your brow, looking left and right to see who is watching, making sure heraldo is not there with a camera.

The treasure...

Creeeeeeeeeeeeek......our trained archealogist opens up the box, wondering what he might find, will it be gold and riches...

an eeeeery scent of .....resin fills the room

The glint of pewter castings..catches the eye...

Stay tuned for the further adventures wood cutters....

Les

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  4:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fellow Adventures...
Trusted Archealogist have ventured further into the box a treasures, found deep in what seems to be a bottomless box, maps and guides, and a book with tips...maybe to unlock the clues found in the box. Tools and instruments will need to be found, we will settle down for the night, but out guards to protect us...

Les

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  7:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Les ,

You may take the credit for being the first to break the sacred seal but I lay claim to being the first to actually start work on the diorama the kit will be sitting on . Unless there is someone else who has got further than me , then they can have that title . Not that it is worth much .

I have decided to join this group build as a break from laying 1/35th scale bricks on my other current project because it was getting boring . I haven't build a wooden structure for a few years so I thought this little kit would be good to see if I can still cut it (pun intended).Now as these here Sierra West kits are quite good and I believe the chap who runs the company , Bart I think his name is, has got a reasonable reputation for doing somethings quite well I thought I would give it a go .

I had a look at his pilot model and thought he had done a absolutely wonderful job on it, but as I don't have , and never will have , an O scale layout , I thought I would have a go at doing something different . Having had a fascination for mine entrances for sometime I thought I would turn it into a wildcat miner's shack . Situated in front of his mine adit . There won't be any locomotives involved as these miners usually were very poor and could not afford much in the way equipment , just one or two mine tubs and a few hand tools .

I have been collecting pictures of mine entrances for some time and the one that really got my juices flowing , so to speak , was this one .

So I decided to build my model around a similar setting .
One way I wanted my shack to be different to others was to have one end wall built of stone with a chimney attached but after seeing pictures of Rusty Stumps new HO Tie Hackers Cabin I changed my mind and will build it now with just a chimney , but with the addition of stone foundations . I realise that this will make the shack posher than it might usually have been but , what the heck , it's my model so I'll build it the way I want .

This is the point I am up to at the moment . It is a bit rough and ready at the moment but it should tidy up fairly well as time goes on . Another reason for doing it is to have some more practice at doing O scale vegetation as I haven't done much recently , it has been mainly 1/24th and 1/35th scales which a whole different ball game . So I am looking forward to really getting stuck in .

Now all I need is for Bart to send me the kit !

NickO

Edited by - NickO on 02/01/2011 3:21:03 PM

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nick
You are indeed in the lead I believe that knowing where and how something is gonna go helps the vision as one builds it..other wise you just build a plastic tank. That tank sitting in a hedge row is a cool model.

So where we see the cardboard square that is where the shack will go?

Les

NickO
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  03:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Nick
You are indeed in the lead I believe that knowing where and how something is gonna go helps the vision as one builds it..other wise you just build a plastic tank. That tank sitting in a hedge row is a cool model.

So where we see the cardboard square that is where the shack will go?

Les

Les ,

The two pieces of cardboard are where I'm intending putting the shack and its accompanying shed . At the moment. However, I might change my mind when I've built them .

Nick

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  03:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh Nick,
Looks like that track got a bit out of gauge at the end there...but should be an interesting build anyway. Always great to see some of your creative thinking come to life.

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  09:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Archaeologists in Southern Ontario discovered the ruins of an ancient logging camp and during the dig discovered the exact same layout and parts as an archaeological did in the US. What has archaeologists wondering is just how many of these camps are there and what are the odds of two digs being identical and what happens if more are discovered around the world.

Archaeologists are stumped as the strange smell coming from the ruins and the workers donít care about the smell. In fact the workers are fighting over who works at that part of the dig. The only problem is getting the workers to work as they would rather sit down and smell the roses after only working a short time.

After much effort a scroll was found at the bottom of the dig. Archaeologists are currently in the process of translating the scroll to see if the reason for the multiple sites can be explained."

This looks like it will be another fun build. My plan is to build and finish the wood cutters shack the same as the tool shed and the rigging shed as these building would have been build around the same time at the lumber camp. The staining of the wood should start later this week.

Nick, looking forward to watching you build your version of the kit, it will be a very interesting variation and use of the kit. The base looks good but it looks like the mine cars will need adjustable axles for when they leave the mine head.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Edited by - elwoodblues on 01/31/2011 09:41:01 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  4:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danpickard

Eh Nick,
Looks like that track got a bit out of gauge at the end there...but should be an interesting build anyway. Always great to see some of your creative thinking come to life.

Dan Pickard

yeah beautiful, telescopic wheel width

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  6:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you guys are all "nuts"

I will be watching with great interest ...

Tom M.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  1:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic pics and intro Les, better than I could have done.

A great start Nick and a very interesting concept for the structures use. The protopic is a great scene to emulate and it will certainly provide you with plenty of 1/48 foliage and ground cover to do.
I'll be looking forward to following your interpretation of the kit.

As for me I finally got back home from snowed in Dallas and sub-freezing temperatures to the warm and tropical deep south, atleast it feels tropical at 32 after being in the frozen teens for a week.

So after a sleep in this morning and a pot of coffee there seems nothing else to do but.... take back the rental car, clean the desk, open my kit box and get this ball rolling.

More later, as it happens.
Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/26/2011 4:23:09 PM

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  5:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you arrived safely - now maybe we can see some of your modeling genius at work again - this build should prove to be good with all the participants - I am glad you occupied Brett all this time as I did not want to get my kit yet - I still have a lot to do on Elijah Roth - lol.

Elliott

Edited by - ETinBH on 02/04/2011 5:45:36 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  6:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words Elliot, hopefully there will be plenty of people joining in, that always increases the fun level.

The extreme and atrocious weather in Dallas has really hampered Brett on all levels of his operation, hopefully Kevins and my being there in no way added to any shipping delays, some progress was definately made in other areas though. It really is unpresidented weather they are expieriencing, it took me 2.5 hours to go 15 miles on the main highway on the way out of Plano.

Still havent started yet, got sidetracked, there's a surprise! I just finished perusing the manual and will hopefully get to actually opening a packet of stripwood in about an hour or so.

Thanks for the interest and I look forward to you, and everyone else joining in......

Karl.A

Hmmmm... unpack the dirty laundry from the trip or unpack my modelling supplies....... decisions, decisions....

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/04/2011 9:52:06 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  2:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
After finally crawling out of bed at 11:30 when the house had warmed up sufficiently I made a pot of coffee and got to work.

Grained and primarily coloured all the stripwood for the siding(black 700.5), then gave the framing a quick wash with burnt umber (408.3) chalk.

Next will be a couple hundred knots / holes and some further distressing.
Final colouring after application.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 02/11/2011 3:49:59 PM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House Topic Next Topic: scratch building the idaho hotel in o scale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000