Railroad Line Forums - Red Bird Taxi's - In 'O'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 173 ]  [ Total: 178 ]  [ Newest Member: mike mientus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Red Bird Taxi's - In 'O'
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Challenge kitbash Topic Next Topic: rusty pipes
Page: of 6

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn it Karl, I go to work and can not keep up!
The roof lettering and street look fantastic! The whole darn building is great and the door jam and latch.... come on dude, I want to stop posting my builds in shame!
Larry

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  7:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - UKGuy on 12/07/2018 8:26:12 PM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  7:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mmmmm, gonna try some foam one of these day's, but I stick to Grolsch if you don't mind.....thanks for the explanation

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  8:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm done for a while, stopping point reached for now, signs, details green stuff, done.

Karl.A

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  8:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat build Karl.....excellent work on the road....
thanks for the how-to as well....I wunner how far I will
get by replacing the carona with Glenfiddich???

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  01:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! You are quite the master by now. You make that cobblestone look so easy.

Arthur

Arthur

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  01:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill and Arthur, good to have you following along.

Unfortunately, as usually happens in one of my "24 hour" attempts something irrepairable occurred which prevented the finish.

I was well on schedule with this one, and even took the morning off, then disaster when headed down the final stretch.

Dont know what it is or why it happened, it never showed up in the paint so I'm at a loss, but...

After planting the structure and blending it to the side walk I started work on the sidewalks, all was going OK when something became apparent, I was really happy up until this point, then I just sat and stared and wondered why.

An hour to build the lean to shed, two hours for scenery and details and I would have been through... but noooo... the sidewalk jumped up and slapped me in the face.

Faced with an isue like this momentum vanished, motivation for the 24 ebbed away and I just shook my head. Thwarted again!!

So now it's headed for the 95% almost but not quite finished shelf looking like this......

Tomorrow I'll spend some time cleaning up this mess.....

While I await the mailmans arrival with my important package.

That and O'Neills should give me a couple of weeks to determine what to do with this disaster and then get it finished and put away...

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/06/2011 01:59:00 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  01:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geezer

I wunner how far I will
get by replacing the carona with Glenfiddich???

You should be OK Bill, as long as you remember to "have one for the road"

Karl.A

AVRR-PA
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  03:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit AVRR-PA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Uh, Karl.... If you had just shown mne that side walk and hadn't told me there was something wrong with it, I don't think I'd have been unhappy with it. Sidewalks are so varied and I'm sure I've seen actual concrete that looks just like your model. But it is your model so you're the one who has to be satisfied.

Having that big flat screen monitor right above your work area is a very nice idea.

Don

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, thatís an impressive looking building, but Iím really drawn to the cobblestone street. The rough surface caused by settling bricks is just right.

I agree with Donís comments about the sidewalk and Martinís choice of beer.

George

Fly Army

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  12:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well it seems that no matter how long or hard I stare down my driveway the mailman is just not picking up on my frustration and will be here at his usual time of 3:30.
So after two hours of drinking coffee, thinking and staring out the window I did the only thing logical..... called the local USPS and told them (in no uncertain terms) that on days when I was expecting deliveries from Brett to give my mailman a Porsche instead of his crappy little van so he can get here quicker.

Then I repainted the sidewalk in disgust, made some stripwood and built the framing for the leanto drive through.

Time sure does go slow when you're waiting.... hopefully this will pass the time.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/06/2011 12:07:07 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, that should do it....

Karl.A

jerrman
Section Hand

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  2:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I saw the first pic with the cobblestones, I just stared in awe. But, when you described the technique, I felt better since you were clearly a bit wasted when you did this. And I just thought you were unbelievably talented. Well, heck, I can drink Corona, too. So, maybe I'll try this technique. Or, more likely maybe I'll just cut my finger off. What I didn't see in the technique was how many times I'll have to run to the men's room and how long that adds to the build time. Your end result, Karl, is a marvel. Just love following along on this build.

Jerrman

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  3:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jerrman thats very kind of you... (the talented part not the wasted part), glad you are enjoying the thread.

Progress is slow today due to being distracted but in order to provide a progress pic here is the newly made corrugated ready to be painted.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  3:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Brainwave post.....

Well here's another handy dandy tool to bring in from the garage and clutter up the modelling desk with..... can't believe I never thought of using this sooner....

Karl.A

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Challenge kitbash Topic Next Topic: rusty pipes  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000