Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 117 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New member, Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!
Page: of 63

wagnmkr
New Hire

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  07:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome.

George D, yes, it is very overwhelming, but I am managing to get my head around some of it.

I am sure there will be the usual 5000 questions on my part.

Cheers

Tom

potsy
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  08:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Tom

Mark

wagnmkr
New Hire

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  08:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark, Happy to be here.

Tom

AllanJSmith
New Hire

Posted - 05/18/2018 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi my name is Allan and I live in Napier, New Zealand. I become a model railroader about 5 years ago (and bought up large on the internet) after collecting LEGO for 25 years and wanted a change in hobby. I model HO Santa Fe in the late 1950's. I do not have a layout due to apartment living but want to build a hollow core door switching layout based around a Swift meat packing plant. I have recently joined a Napier model railroad club so that I can run my locos and rolling stock. I enjoy doing the research for my HCD layout and have started doing scenery work on the club layout. I have yet to build any kits or do weathering. My locos are all DCC sound. I hope this forum can help me with understanding the USA style of railroading compared to NZ. PS I still collect LEGO :)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2018 :  06:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan, welcome to the Forum and the hobby. We hope that you enjoy your time here.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2018 :  07:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Allan,

Welcome aboard! Glad you stuck around and joined ... you will find the crew on this forum just as helpful as the Small/Micro Layout Facebook group.

Take care,
Rob.

RobertR
New Hire

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  4:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

My first post and I mistakenly created a new topic instead of replying here so again ...

Though armchair model railroading for several years, I am only now actively returning to the hobby after a stint as a youth. I live in a small coastal town just south of San Francisco, am recently retired, and am currently finishing the basement to build an HO transition era layout set roughly in the Coal River District of WV. I learned many of my basic carpentry and electrical skills many years ago building an ~300 ft2 layout with my dad that was based on the Erie-Lackawanna RR passenger service and piggyback operations with about the same level (lack) of success as the prototype. I have in the attic hundreds of feet of relic wooden tru-scale roadbed used in that (but not any future) effort and a few really beautiful brass engines that need conversion to DCC.

I have been lurking on these forums for a while following several of the archived documented builds in the Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner Forum for kits that I have on an already overflowing shelf. In addition to the collective wealth of knowledge within that group I have been impressed by the camaraderie and really clever humor displayed within those threads. It is great to see how everyone is so supportive.

I look forward to soon developing some new modeling skills and hope to lean on the folks in these forums to get me going. Meanwhile I am acquiring materials and equipment and looking at different techniques so that I can hit the ground running when my workbench and space are ready for prime time. From the armchair anyway, I am enjoying all aspects of the hobby but am sure my focus will narrow as I get my hands dirty again.

Thanks for taking me in and I look forward to participating where I can.

Bob R

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  10:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not really a new person, just coming back after 2 years away. We changed our Email so naturally that puts a crimp in the works.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Mark.

George

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  2:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare

1. Battleground Wa.
2. Wow, off and on for about 30 years. Started in a small HO modular group in Connecticut.
3. My current plan is a freelance layout with a tongue in cheek omage of the Rio Grande Southern (I mean who could read Mallory Hope Farrell's "Silver San Juan" and not fall in love with the RGS). When I start a thread on building the layout, you'll understand what I mean by a tongue in cheek omage.
4. See above
5. Available space is 14'x11'. How much of that I can use is currently in negotiation. (I think I can get it all but don't tell SWMBO I said that.)
6. I enjoy it all, but my least favorite would have to be switch machines.
7. The layout will be DCC with sound.
8. I spent 24 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club in the Silent Service, retired and I am now working as an engineer for the Union Pacific Railroad.
9. This is a family site I suppose, I couldn't do that to the kids.

Scott

If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  4:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Scott!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  5:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Scott. Looking forward to your layout construction thread. (No pressure)

George

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  6:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Scott! Enjoy the ride!

Remember that you Silent Service folks in the Canoe Club can run, but you can't hide.

Pete
in Michigan

Hawghead
New Hire

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  9:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for the welcome.

I will start a layout construction thread sometime soon, but updates may be sporadic at best. I work for the railroad and don't have scheduled days off and SWMBO does expect me, from time to time, to actually be helpful around the house (can you believe it?)

Pete, We don't have to run, because there are only two kinds of ships, Submarines and Targets.

Scott

If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  11:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete loved to make targets out of subs...

Karl Scribner
HMFWBIC
Kentucky Southern Railway
and associated lines
Midwest Lower Michigan

Page: of 63 Previous Topic: New member, Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000