Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!
Page: of 63

syzdek
New Hire

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  8:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. My name is Sam S. I live in Mulberry, AR. I've been modeling in HO Scale for about 30 years. I had model trains as a kid, then picked the hobby back up as an adult. My layout is freelance, loosely based on the Southern Pacific line of my youth. My layout is set in the early 60's. My layout is 16 x 24. My favorite part is the scenery - I love the details. I model mostly urban scenes.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  9:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sam! Looks like another 'old timer' has found this website/forums. I just joined a couple of weeks ago myself. Some of the workmanship shown here is just amazing. This hobby continues to fascinate and amaze both the enthusiasts and the "civilians". Glad to meet you.

Jim

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  07:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Sam and Jim, from another "old timer".

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/04/2014 :  08:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim & Sam, welcome to the Forum. You can put me in the 'old timer' category, too.

outlaw bill
New Hire

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All. I just recently got back into Model Railroading. I'm a Retired Deputy City Marshal and Retired Bounty Hunter, due to disabilities. I model N scale and will in the future HO. As for being an old guy, I would fit in that group also. My Grandkids will tell you I'm older than dirt and I invented Dinosaurs.

Agenda 26

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Bill. "Older than dirt", you'll fit right in here.

George

HustleMuscle6430
New Hire

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  8:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy Guys,

My name is Mike, and I've been lurking on here for a little bit. Here's my intro:

1) Palmer, Mass
2) For 21 years off and on, since I was 5 years old. I got a Life-like train set for Christmas, and I've been hooked since.
3&4) Right now, my interest is proto-freelancing a 1988 version of the Midland Continental, in rural North Dakota.
5) I don't have one right now, but I'm working on structures, vehicles, rolling stock, etc... I model in HO.
6) Building anything, then weathering. As far as least, wiring, then wiring, then wiring. Did I mention wiring?
7) I have both. I've got both for the switching layout I'm planning, just gotta pick one.
8) I have a degree in Mechanical engineering, and work as a design engineer for a wind turbine company in Charlton, MA. I played football in both High school and college, for a total of 8 years. I am sort of a fitness fanatic, and a sports nut, supporting the Green Bay Packers, Boston Red Sox, Boston Bruins, Arizona Cardinals, Umass Minutemen and Texas Longhorns.
9) Ok, I dare, and here's some of my work as well.

Me:

Some of my HO vehicles. The last 4 in the upper corner are ones my family has owned at one time or another:

Another group of vehicles:

A grain elevator I'm currently working on (yes I've oogled INRAIL's work often as well!):

Mike

If you haven't got extra parts when you're done, you put it together wrong.

vxrider2
New Hire

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  11:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm TJ in Puyallup/Tacoma, WA. Lived here for ever (65 yrs) My whole life's been railroadin'. Worked for the Tacoma Belt Line for 38 yrs and the whole time a model RR also, which I took a lot of flack from by fellow workers but was fun! "How can you work here for 8 hours a day and then go home and play with your toy trains for another 8; you're crazy!"
I'm hooked on modern era, Intermodal, and UP. Used to be addicted to UP brass and had one of each the UP ran in steam, deisel, and turbine - 80 pcs (favorite was my brass ALCO MODELS UP 8500hp 3-unit Gas Turbine, but plastic is so detailed now it is my loco of choice. Before moving, I had an HO 16 x 24 layout right out of the 101 Track Plans Book(plan #100)full of Shinohura dbl crossovers & dbl slips. Now just starting a 13x8 30" shelf switching layout. Retired 2 yrs ago with a goin away gift of a working HO model of a Tacoma Rail SW-1500 (MP 15) in the Beltline livery. I got some good knowledge of the "TMBL", "Beltline", "Muni" for anyone wanting some. This little RR is located in/on the Tacoma Tideflats and interchanges with the BNSF & UP Class 1s in Tacoma with our/their biggest customer being the Port of Tacoma. RR is owned by the City of Tacoma, and is 1 of 3 of the Tacoma Public Utilities or TPU: Power, Water, and Rail.

Download Attachment: Beltline engine.JPG
77.76 KB

TJ

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2014 :  12:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Mike and TJ. Thanks for taking time to introduce yourselves.

TJ, here's some good information on how to post pictures on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George

Retro-Craft
New Hire

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  9:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro-Craft's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Evenin' Folks!
The name's Isaac, and I've been into model trains to one degree or another since I was about 5. I hadn't signed up in a forum in years and seeing how I've recently stepped up my modeling efforts, I thought I'd join this fine establishment (I've been eyeing for a while). Over the past year or so I've trying to make a career out of the hobby, I've had a couple items published on Model Railroad Hobbyist and, overly ambitious as it sounds, I want to eventually become a model train manufacturer (I'm a freelance illustrator for the time being). I model the pre-WWII era, and my little 4x7 layout is undergoing some major renovations, so you'll be seeing some of that.

Other hobbies include painting, photography, movie making, collecting records, restoring and collecting antiques, comics, and prop making (another business of mine).

And here's a picture of my modeling -

(Pardon the watermark, it's from a blog post)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  08:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, C.H. That's a nice scene.

KCS Trains
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone.

I am very new to the hobby. I started a little over a year ago in Spokane, Washington. I joined a local club and have quickly started my layout (A wrap-around layout in a 15 x 11 unfinished bedroom).

I plan to model Kansas City Southern in Central Louisiana in 1956. My grandfather worked for the KCS during this time. I also picked this steam to diesel era because I like working with wooden kits versus plastic. I've included a picture of the roundhouse that I just finished. I plan to add "junk" to the side.

My two intials requests from the group are:

1. What is the best alternative to Atlas flextrack? I tried Micro Engineering track, but it was very difficult to deal with. I really liked the Atlas product.

2. I've reviewed your site because I'm very interested in weathering everything. For a beginner, what is the best recipe to weather 55 gal drums?

I look forward to many posts and interactions.

Phil (KCS Trains).

KCS Trains
New Hire

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  12:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here is the picture of my roundhouse.

Phil

Download Attachment: Roundhouse.JPG
119.69 KB

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  2:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Phil, nice job on the roundhouse. Walthers and Peco also sell HO flextrack in various rail weights. Both are fairly easy to flex. ME looks best, but it takes care to bend without damaging it. Atlas, Peco & Walthers should all bend about the same. The different brands go reasonably well together, but there are little differences in rail and tie shape which you have to deal with. There's been a lot said about weathering here, a Google "site:railroad-line.com oil drum weather" search turns up dozens going back to 2004. I suggest you browse and see what combination of materials and results looks best to you.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  2:10:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you joined us C.H. That's a beautiful scene, what scale is it?

Welcome aboard, Phil. I don't have an answer about the track, our club uses Atlas flex track and we've been happy with it. That's a nice looking wooden roundhouse. I assume it's scratch built. Here's some information on posting pictures that might help. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 3.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000