Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!
Page: of 63

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  4:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted and Dave, welcome and thanks for taking the time to post some background info here.

Dave, I love the way that you have captured the southwest.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  5:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the warm welcome.

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2013 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Welcome. I really enjoyed looking at your website; excellent tutorials!

Al Carter

wyvern
New Hire

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  06:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I live over the big puddle in England, on the eastern side of Manchester, close to the Pennines, which are a range of hills down in the northern part of England.

My railroad is FN3 scale, in the garden, and as I am retired I make most of the railroad, track and such things as wheels excepted.

The RR is supposed to be a (very) small part of the Denver South Park & Pacific RR, - I like Mason Bogies and they were the largest user in my favorite state of Colorado; the RR is basically a lazy or bent figure eight, with a couple of loops ,and has been built over the last 15 years, when myself and my wife moved down to look after my mother in law; that gave me a large garden, for the RR.

I am interested in the (English) Midland Railway but decided that it could not be used so it was instead early (c. 1880’s) Colorado Narrow Gauge – why early, - colorful locos and smaller rolling stock. Part of the garden is in a ‘sun shadow’ – due to a high fence.

That is the location of the village (or due to its small size hamlet) which always needs new buildings (to add to it) , and vehicles – those are all horse drawn. Both are scratch built, as are a couple of Mason Bogies, and other locos plus freight stock, etc. I have attached a quick photo of the village, below.

Control is plain old Analog power, being outside it needs to be simple!

I used (before the move which was just down the road), I built railway wagons in 4mm (a bit large than your HO) scale; age has caught up and its easier to now work in 1/20th and I think more satisfying, I now have a huge range of work building for the above RR and that keeps me busy.

Yours Peter.

Download Attachment: village1.jpg
154.58 KB

Edited by - wyvern on 03/17/2013 08:25:23 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  08:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Peter. We appreciate the introduction and info on your specific interests in the hobby.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  09:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Peter. I too have reached the age where larger scale modeling is attractive, but I'm stubbornly hanging on to HO. You'll find a number of large scale modelers here. Thanks for posting the picture of your layout.

Here's a link to info on posting pictures:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George

Tiptoeturtle
New Hire

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(From Donald Telfer, alias Tiptoeturtle)
1) Where do you live?
I live alternatingly in Rødvig (population 1200, a very small fishing harbour & village at the end of a non-government railway line) in Danmark, and when not in Rødvig in Coffs Harbour, Australia.
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
Over 50 years, I do not remember if I started with Triang-Hornby or Lone Star, but switched to Arnold Minitrix and Fleischmann at about age 14 / 1971.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
I think: Freelance.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
Hope to build something 1880-1930 of East Prussia / Königsberg. You won´t find Königsberg on maps now, it was ethnically cleansed of Germans and levelled by Russia after WW2.
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
N-gauge (Peco). If I ever build it, the maximum dimensions are 7.2m x 6.8m, but only 7.2m x 4.3 is visible.
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
My favourite part is dreaming, and the least enjoyable part is awaking to reality..
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
DC, maybe Minitrix ems, and in the past I have also used variable pulse square wave - and that with lasting satisfaction.
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
I´d like you to know that I would like to know if anyone has started building their own 3D printer and using it for manufacturing small scale buildings for model railways ?
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

www.skibsmotor.dk
www.roedvigfiskerihavn.dk

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  2:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forum, Donald. We have a number of Danes on the Forum and a number of Aussies, too. However, you might be our first member who splits their time between the two countries.

Marzz007
New Hire

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  3:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey
Well I've been model railroding for the past 35 years. I am on the verge of getting a great room soley dedicated to my railroad, with a huge walkin closet for a workshop. I live in Cloverdale BC, where I can open any window and hear CN rumbling in and out of the Superport. I got started when father built a railroad in our basement as a young child, and for my 12th birthday we built a 4X8 in my room. My Dad always said he would build a railroad for the grand kids and never got around to it. My wife for my 25th birthday fueled my fire and bought me some trains and track. Three houses and 3 unfinished layouts later, I am pining for my son to get married and move out this fall. I have always been an HO guy and love my west coast rails, but now having a holiday spot in Arizona I'm liking some nostaligic UP schemes (ok I'm all over the map). I enjoy the track building the most, and the dulcet tones of hearing steel wheels on steel rails. The the thing I hate is how delicate some of the models are, I love nice things, but when horns and hoses get knocked off it drives me crazy. I am all about the DCC I like the control and the ability to program from my computer, I would love to get to full interface one day...As of now Iam dreaming,designig, accumulating looking for ideas... Soon very Soon...

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/17/2013 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marcel, welcome to the Forum. My wife and I have visited your lovely town of Surrey when we visited Karl Fasolino. At the time, Karl was running a modeling business called Surrey Custom Models.

Will Gibson
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  11:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! I've seen some great posts here and wanted to take advantage of the collective knowledge in these forums.

1) Where do you live? Allen, Texas

2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? I am really just getting started. We've set up the big Polar Express set at Christmas, but I'm now working to finalize plans for a "real" layout. My sons' imaginations inspired me to take the jump.

3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Freelance.

4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Transition era in the Colorado Rockies.

5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? 12x20 in HO.

6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? My favorite part is creating an escape to another time and place. Least favorite part are the initial costs, at least to set my layout up the way I want it.

7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? DCC.

8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. I go by Will or William. I know several people named Bill and I'm likely to get confused and think you're talking about someone else if you try to rename me as Bill.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Peter, Donald, Marcel and Will.

As you think, so will you be.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard Peter, Donald, Marcel and Will. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

George

dbatjr
New Hire

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  6:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I just recently joined the forum although I've been reading posts off and on for several years. I'm in the process of switching scales from N to HOn3 which has rekindled my activity level.

1) Where do you live? Granby, CT
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby? Off and on for years. First train set was lionel but my father had some old HO stuff I discovered.
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout? Semi-freelance with D&RGW and RGS equipment
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region? Colorado
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model? Old N scale layout 3' x 8'
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least? Scenery and model building are favorites and layout design would definitely be my least favorite.
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)? Both DC and DCC
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know. As mentioned above I'm in process of switching from N to HOn3.

Thanks, Tom

OzzyRob
New Hire

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  8:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to get back into the hobby, been playing with bikes for a while.

Hoping to build a small On30 shelf layout due to a complete lack of space.

Anyways thats me.

Cheers
Rob

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000