Railroad Line Forums - New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!
Page: of 63

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/20/2012 :  12:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Matt and Trudy. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourselves.

George

Ravenseye
New Hire

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  08:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
Syracuse NY
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
My father and I built a 4x4 n scale amtrak layout when I was young, and that got the bug in me for modeling. I now am returning back to model railroading because I love the simple beauty that you guys have on display here on the line! You are all very inspirational!
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
I will be freelancing everything! I am very casual when it comes to what I like and want to achieve.
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
Does Mirkwood mean anything to anyone here? ;)
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
I have no layout at the moment. I think I am going to be creating more in the vein of dioramas that "do something" instead of just sitting there and looking pretty! I love animation, lighting and sound and will be trying to make what I make drop some jaws!
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
Like? Everything! Dislike? unfortunately, some of the folks who do this do not seem like they are enjoying themselves...they are way too serious and don't ever seem to smile when working on what they are doing. I will never be that guy! I wanna have fun! isn't this what a hobby is all about? ;)
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
As I said previously, I have no layout. I do plan on either dcc, or straight up autonomous control of my scenes.
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
I've been stalkin....er...LURKING here for at least a year! I love this site and look forward to becoming a useful member of this society!
9) Post your picture - if you dare.
I think I'd scare people off too quickly! perhaps in time my mug will be included in something I post! ;)

Mornin' fellas! (and ladies if present of course!)

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  09:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, welcome. Thanks for telling us about your interests and future plans.

prness
New Hire

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  12:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit prness's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I've been a lurker on the Forums for several years and finally saw a topic to which I could post a helpful tip, so I signed on. I find the level of modeling and information in these groups amazing and helpful.

I model the New Haven Railroad in 1959 in HO scale. Currently my layout includes the benchwork for South Station and South Boston Freight Terminal, but it will eventually extend through Providence, New Haven, New Rochelle and Grand Central Terminal. There is a commuter branch from South Station that runs to Greenbush, MA as well as the branch from Devon that runs to Waterbury with the Maybrook freght-only line at Derby Junction. In addtion I will also model the branch from Springfield to Cedar Hill which is just before New Haven.

At New Rochelle there is another branch that runs freight-only to Harlem River Terminal and to Penn Station which is really nothing more than visible staging. In addition to having lots of interchange traffic, this also allows me to run Erie, L&HR and LNE freights from staging into Maybrook, NYC service from Springfield to Boston and an all-Pennsy passenger consist from Boston to Penn Station.

How do I fit all this in a basement? Using the Layout Design Element concept to selectively model only specific locations using original track diagrams selectively compressed to fit my available space. Stay tuned for a few years and we'll see how this all works out!

A long time ago I started out with a Lionel train set before moving to HO scale. I have a very small N scale layout in the works because I couldn't resist the sale price of some New Haven equipment a few years back. With the advent of a Grandson a few years ago, I recently pulled out some Lionel equipment I picked up in a "train lot" with HO scale items at an estate auction years back, cleaned it off and built him a smallish Lionel layout with lots of operating accessories. Hopefully he'll be bitten by the same bug I was in my youth.

Although a New England native I now live in OH, so I'm a bit of a stranger in a strange land out here modeling the New Haven, but there are several internet groups to support my habit, and since I model a lot of interchange traffic I have at least a passing interest in many fallen flags that used to stomp these grounds.

I'm married to a wonderful woman who's "tolerated" my train fix more than a couple of decades, have four daughters (only two left in the nest), two foster children and one grandson. Being a New Haven modeler from the days when not much prototypically correct equipment was available, I am not shy about kitbashing equipment or structures. As a matter of fact I usually "destroy" a kit in order to build it to suit my needs. The only things I've built straight out of the box in the past decade are 1937 AAR 40' boxcars and non-NH rolling stock. I haven't built a structure out of the box since my youth, although I do have a supply of correct New Haven craftsman structure kits to tackle as my layout progresses.

I've scratchbuild a few items including a selectively compressed South Station Terminal which is made of paper and cardstock. It's nowhere near complete but the outer shell is done enough to have a place on the layout. I'm currently re-doing the rear walls as I've found more appropriate brick and window patterns to replace what's currently installed.

Anyway, a little about me and my modeling interests. I have a link to my website below my signature. I have a "rolling stock" page that covers many types of New Haven freight cars, when they ran, paint schemes, and accurate models etc. that may be of interest to any other prototype modelers interested in learning if commercially available equipment is correct for the New Haven, or if you model another scale the prototype information there may be of help. I've already learned a lot from this group and I am sure I will learn much more. I'll contrbute from time to time where I can.

Happy modeling,
Peter

Peter R. Ness
Modeling the New Haven in 1959
Member NHRHTA, NHIM

pward
New Hire

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  3:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

My name is Paul Ward, I am new to the forum, and mostly new to the hobby. I collected and ran HO trains as youngster and teenager (just an 8x4 board and two simple loops). This past Christmas I bought an ON30 starter set (OR & W Passenger) by Bachmann for under the tree and the trainbug bit me again! I chose the OR & W because I live in Steubenville OH which is nestled up against the Ohio River and is located about 30 miles north of where the OR & W actually operated. My current job requires alot of traveling up and down the river and west to Columbus and so I do a great deal of driving through the OR&W country.

My modelling plans will need to develop in stages. I have 6 children (2 in college) and all six still live at home. There is neither alot of money or space to do a nice layout, and do it right - but that day will come... hopefully (if the powers that be will allow... i.e., the spouse) the OR&W railway will move into the basement bedroom just as soon as the oldest child finishes college and moves out (which could be a few years yet). In the meantime, I will expand my rollong stock and motive power. Phase One will be to develop a REALLY NICE layout for under the tree, I have one drawn up which I will share if anyone is interested. This layout will be on Bachmann E-Z track, will be able to operate two trains at once, using DC for power and Block wiring. I have always wanted to try block wiring even if DCC has made it a bit obsolete.

Phase two will be to start over as far as tracking is concerned and build a nice full size layout using a room that is about 11 x 11 feet square. I have a drawing stared for this one as well which I will share once I have finished a bit more of it. For phase two, I will add DCC to the Bachmann 2-6-0 Mogal, use DCC controlling and wiring. Both phases will focus on the 1910-1930 era in steam and in the On30 scale. Why On30? Because I love the size and detail of the motive power and rolling stock as well as the spacing and layout advantages of HO scale track. I never liked the the three rail O scale look anyways, and to have the detail of O scale on the more realistic and space conservative HO track, is having the best of both worlds, plus... I love the steam era and would model this era no matter what the scale.

Well, there it is, thats me in a nut shell

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  4:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Paul!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  4:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Mike, Peter and Paul. Thanks for introducing yourselves.

George

westernmaryland202
New Hire

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  9:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

1. South Central PA

2. I got my first set around 10 years ago, wanted one before that but took until then to finally do it. It's my grandma's fault that I like trains, she always bought me lots of Thomas the Tank Engine stuff.

3. Both, and I'll explain in question 4

4. I model a lot of different things, anywhere from about 1910 to 2010, with the common theme being local prototypes rather than era. My main era and prototype, which I can hopefully get around to building a layout for eventually, is the Western Maryland's West Sub in the early 1970s. I also do a little bit of what-if WM as if it existed today, and, of course I have a bit of steam. Aside from the WM, I do some EBT-style narrow gauge in ON3, set in 1929, and a little bit of Cumberland Valley RR somewhere around 1910. And if that isn't enough, sometimes I have an idea of my own I think I need to test, so I have a few fictional roads just for that. My modeling really isn't as scattered as it sounds, most of my modeling fits the 1970s and only a small fraction is anything else.

5. I don't currently have a layout per se, I do have a 2x4 N scale layout I'm building in a coffee table, but that's about it. Otherwise, I model in HO and O (limited to ON3), but have been known to collect other scales when the price is right... (which often means free...)

6. I like detailing and weathering models. Even if this isn't the most productive way to prepare for a layout (at least the way I tend to go crazy timewise), I'm still an armchair modeler, and since it's all I'm doing right now, I want it to look good. What I enjoy least, probably laying track or wiring. If I can get a little creative with the track and make it look like it's been used for a while, then it's a little more bearable.

7. Most of my stuff is DC as I never used DCC anywhere. My club began converting some of the layout to DCC about a year ago, so I've been (very) slowly converting some of my stuff.

8. I'd been lurking on this forum for a few years so I figured it was finally time to join... My name is Adam... And I guess that's about it.

9. Me and my favorite engine:

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/23/2012 :  10:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Adam. Thanks for the introduction.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/24/2012 :  07:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Adam. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. You'll find plenty of good information here to satisfy your broad interests.

George

JohnC
New Hire

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  12:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. I'm John and a returnee. I got an email from Railroad-Line Forums webmaster the other day and this sparked an "Oh let me check this out". I haven't been here in ages, and I can see a lot has changed and so has the hobby. I used to have a large N-Scale layout about 8 years ago, but due to various issues, including health problems, I gave up. I model in the Vorboden, unspeakable Virtual Railroad world.

Anway I've been interested in trains since I was 3. We lived across the tracks from the old Boston & Maine Bradford yard, which is across the Merrimack River from Haverhill, MA. My dad commuted to Boston on the old Budd Liners, and my mom would bring me over the fence to watch his train come in. This became a routine for me, and eventually I recalled taking the train to Boston and riding on the trolley cars, subways, and even sometimes on the EL.

As I got older, my dad built me an N Scale layout. This was about 1968 and consisted of a small figure-eight type layout that was modified, yet fit on a 2 x 4 foot cookie-cutter board. The layout ws built to fit under my bed and we'd drag it out to work on it. I still have the rolling stock and engine from the original set along with most of the track. The transformer died quite some time ago. I could kick myself now for not taking care of the original Postage Stamp Collection, but who thinks about this kind of stuff at 7 years old! Anyway, the little layout grew and I ended with three layouts after that, with two based on the same theme. The last one was actually and extended version of Atlas' Scenic and Relaxed.

I was born in Haverhill and grew up in Merrimac, MA, which is nearby. There used to be a small B&M branch that ran into the mill complex back then, and on occasion I'd get a glimpse of an old SW or Alco hauling a boxcar or two down to the mills. Sadly today the NIMBYs have moved in, and the rail line is now a rail trail. I really hate those things.

In the early 1970s we moved to Andover MA, which is on the mainline that hosted both B&M freights and commuter trains. Eventually the B&M gave up commuter service, and the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority) took over the commuter service. They run the service today with old and retiring F40PHs and Horizon commuter cars. The track was single-tracked in 1976-77, but now being restored back to double-track! This is awesome to see because I remember the old double-track line.

When I was a kid, I'd go bike riding to Ballardvale (part of Andover). There was an ice cream stand there and I'd buy a cone or sundae, sit by the tracks on the grass and watch the trains go by. There were two signals protecting the line in both directions. They were both repeaters for the double track on either end, and would light up when a train appeared. I got so I could "read" the signals, so if I saw a double red, I knew a train was coming from that direction.

After living in Andover for quite some time, I moved back to Haverhill in 1998 where I purchased a house and had plenty of room for my layout. The house has the space, and for the first time in my life things were going well. I was working for Polaroid (then a spin-off later), and would come home and work on my layout. Being in electronics for many years, I used some old TELCO punch down blocks for my wire connectins between the different block sections to a main trunk, and then a new trunk line over to my control panel. My wiring was nice and neat, and everything worked on the first try. I almost danced around my room after that first power up!

Around 2003 I had trouble with my hands and with my back. I thought it was work-related since I am an IT guy, and at that time I did a lot of crawling under desks. Eventually by 2004, I started dropping things. At first I thought it was just me being tired. I was working some crazy hours, trying to study piano, and go to school at night. No wonder I was Mr. Klutz! Well, the hand trouble got worse, and I then had trouble painting models and weathering freight cars. I also developed a tremor in my right hand. I'd be okay on one side when weathering and painting, but would ruin the other because my hands lost their fine motor skills. I chocked this up to fatigue.

I also committed the worst accident I could ever have. I had some old Alco-RS3s I picked up at the Boston 50th Anniversary NMRA show. With my lack of control, I took a beautiful, and still running well D&H RS-3, and literally flung it on to the floor! I watched the little engine go off the edge of the layout on to my bedroom floor. As it hit the carpet, it shattered into a gazillion pieces. It was shortly after that, I put the trains away, and the layout became spiderville. After going for many tests, some very painful, I was diagnosed with atypical Parkinsonism in late 2006. I do well with the medication, which has side-effects like you wouldn't believe. I still work fulltime (no choice - need insurance), and stay active the best I can. I realize that there's nothing I can do about it except continue on the best I can. I don't like sympathy because there's no need for it. I tell people how things are, and try to offer support to those that need it.

It was also around this time I discovered virtual railroading. Is it the same? No. Like anything simulated, including digital pianos, etc., there is that lack of touch, smell, and sight. There's nothing like touching a model (and not, ahem, flinging it on to the floor), or the smell of the layout, plywood, etc., and seeing the trains running as smooth as little watches. For me though, this virtual world is my escape from the rotten things in life.

There are virtues to the digital world like no space limits, no waste of materials if you decide to change something or remove a baseboard. There's also the ability to ride in the cab and see your own world. I'm not trying to make this an advert for the company, but for me this is my modeling now, sadly. There is a big disadvantage, which you always have to keep in mind. You lose your hard drive, you lose everything. I've come close twice now, and I back up regularly. Sending my route to bit heaven is not my idea of fun.

So after all this, I model the same layout I started back in 2004, although expanded to 150 or so miles! Using N3V Software's Trainz (TS12) www.auran.com , I've been able to recreate a real-size route. My route is based on the New England region where I have always lived. My Enfield and Eastern, which I'll post a story about in another post, is the current operator of former Boston and Maine, and Maine Central tracks. This rail company exchanges cars with PanAm (Guilford), BAR, CSX, and NS. The E&E also runs wholly owned a couple of subsidiary switching companies in a couple of the bigger cities. My route consists of both real terrain, imported layouts from other people, and digital elevation maps. of various local areas such as Haverhill and Bradford. I was even able to put my old house in there - the one I lived in when I was three.

Is there room for both real models and virtual ones. I sure think so. This virtual program was originally designed as a model railroad simulator and designer, and later became a railroad simulator. There are rulers and scale settings to allow a rail modeler to build their model layout. I did this with the original Scenic and Relaxed. It's quite neat seeing the trains run by themselves, although I need to act as a dispatcher and set the routes often due to the yard design. What's interesting is I had the same design issues in the virtual version as I did on the real model. The yard requires extra run arounds, and the yard track had to be expanded a bit. Just like the real thing too, the virtual version also had trouble with the curve in the back corner which is too tight! If I had something like this when I was building my route, I never would have run into these issues. ;)

Anyway, this is where I've been for the past eight years. Off in a different, but similar world, fighting and surviving, and at the same time still enjoying the best hobby in the world - model railroading.

John

Severe Storm Chasing and trains are one. While out chasing you see trains, and lots of them!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  07:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, welcome back to the Forum. Keep enjoying the hobby in any way you can!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  07:35:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, John. Model railroaders have many ways of expressing themselves, yours is unique and interesting. post some screen shots of your layout sometime.

George

HWCRR
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  01:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my name is Dave. I live in Seattle, Wa. I started model railroading, hmmmm, don't think I am going there. Let's just say, I have been into this marvelous hobby a long time.
My dad was a fireman on the pierre Marquett, when steam was king. He had a small layout and I was hooked.
My first layout was HO. I had a whole room to myself. Then, out of nowhere kids appeared. Lost that room in a hurry. I was relegated to a very small area and there I built an HOn3 layout. But, as time passed; and the domestic thing settled in, it also went by the wayside.
As I am a loner now, I have come back into the hobby once again. This time, as the eyes and fingers don't like the small stuff anymore, I have build an On30 module that is 48"x 30".
I do not model any particular line. It is set in the Northwest, go figure, and set in the time period of the 30's. It is DCC. I do not know how large it will ever get to be, but, I only do one module at a time.
My philosophy is that the scenery is paramount. It was there before the railroad and the supporting structures. The railroad and the structures must look like an intrusion into nature. Then nature is always trying to reclaim its territory.
I guess my favorite part of the hobby, is finding different ways to accomplish things. Always trying to make an improvement with more realism.

Dave

Don't only practice your art. Force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise men to the divine. Ludwig Von Beethoven

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  07:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Dave, and thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. You join a number of other forum members who live in your general area.

Page: of 63 Topic Next Topic: Hawghead Joins RR-Line!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000