Railroad Line Forums - Naperville RPM 2010 Lisle 2011
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 202 ]  [ Total: 205 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 Rail Events
 Naperville RPM 2010 Lisle 2011
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Chesire CT Show 11/20/2011 Topic Next Topic: Tour de Chooch
Page: of 3

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  11:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More photos next!

Edited by - dlwrailfan1 on 11/10/2011 01:33:27 AM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/25/2010 :  08:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric! I'm looking foward to the pics and your summary.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  12:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Naperville RPM meet is the 'largest' in the country and benefits from its central location in a hotbed of railroad activity. For sixteen years Martin of Sunshine Models ran the event in low tech. They mailed the invitations, took only checks and tracked everything on paper.

Last year they agreed to pass the torch to Joe of PPW. He set up a web site and took credit cards -- WOW! The registration was still by mail and the on site work was done on paper. Most of the presentations are in PowerPoint but a few used slide projectors.

The format was only slightly tweaked this year, with the date a week earlier. Registration began on Thursday morning and the first seminars were at 10 AM. Lunch was pizza (extra cost) followed by a presentation by Bob Hundman, former owner of Mainline Modeler.

The seminars continued until dinner on Saturday. The Friday banquet was a buffet with a bxw slide show by Philip Weibler.

There were 45 presenters with most going twice. Once again, Ted Cullota was a no show and rumor is that he is closing out Speedwitch.

The model room was packed with hundreds of the best of the best. Two large modular railroads shared the space.

Attendance was over 300 and the word was that things went well. Joe predicts he will be back next year in the same place -- the week may be different.

Every year, we are greeted by the same sign and it is starting to look a little 'old'.

Model railroad discussion is the major topic in the lobby. You may recognize one of the raconteurs on the left hand side.

The model room was jammed and even more so between seminars. Here are two views.

More pictures as the week continues! Stay tuned!

Eric

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now for a visit to the model room. Since I flew out, the tripod stayed home. The expensive Canon flash unit for my camera works very well in providing diffused light but the lack of the steady base cuts into the depth of field.

Maybe I can take some lessons from Rick before the next meet. Wonder how much he charges?

First we will view some reefers which were a major focus in the seminar rooms. Light weathering and chalk marks on these models.

Eric

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  1:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric, thanks for the pictures.
They look very good to me.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/26/2010 :  7:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too! Keep them coming Eric.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  01:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Next we take a look at Robert Stear's fine work. He displayed his cars on mirrors with detailed signs. Here are eight of his gems.

Stay tuned!

Eric

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  10:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those that have never attended an RPM seminar, the model room is something much different than a contest room. Each modeler brings their best work, displaying it as they think best. Some offer detailed signage and others a single hand written sign.

The modelers often hang out near their models answering questions and sharing information. It is a very educational experience.

Let's take a look at some more models. First covered hoppers, one with the hatch open and corn inside.

Now for some box cars with very well executed weathering.

Flats cars and MoPac power:

More pics as the week progress.

Eric

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/27/2010 :  10:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stuff. I love the weathering on that NP boxcar.

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  11:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Continuing with more models, Doug Riddell built this triple tank car (circa 1958). He notes that that most had an outside wrapper that hid the compartments.

Check out the debris in this gon. Nice work!

And now for something PC, Penn Central RR that is.

Eric

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  10:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now for a ride on the Monon. Chad Boas brought a number of models from his railroad. First is the station, a laser kit he modifed to match the exact angle of the diamond crossing.

Now a Monon caboose and motive power.

Eric

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  10:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More from the model room - Robert Massey with his Rock Island models from the mid 1970's. An SW-8, a very well weathered covered hopper, a flat car and a box car.

Eric

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  12:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now there are some great looking models. You know, it's guys like this that make me want to just put my stuff back in the boxes, turn out the lights and take up a different hobby!

Mark

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still in the model room -- here is a picture of the raised tables they use and the attendees learning and sharing.

Now for some Swift reefers built from resin kits by Andy Cich.

And now for his explanation.

A PC gon and a covered hopper.

Eric

dlwrailfan1
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  9:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit dlwrailfan1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The RPM Model Room had two modular layouts. An L shaped Modutrak was set up against two walls. There tag line is "better N scale modeling through peer pressure." They have a nice web site as well.

All of their scenery is consistent and very high quality. Many of the engines and cars are custom painted and or weathered. Here are some photos:

This is the breakdown. They have very high standards for fit and finish.

Eric

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  09:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric, thanks for the pictures.

Some nice weathering.
That hopper with the top open is neat and something I don't remember seeing before.
The CB&Q hopper is nice too.

I like those modules too.
They eliminated the wood ends separating each module and have one continues run of scenery.
If I were to build modules, that's how I would do it.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Chesire CT Show 11/20/2011 Topic Next Topic: Tour de Chooch  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000