Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 220 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.
Page: of 83

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2020 :  08:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice model!

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 03/31/2020 :  2:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

The mock up displays the layout way beyond what any 2D rendering could. It is very fun to study.

I am going to have to agree with Brian Bond ... I think the Landisburg scene should be strictly lumber oriented. Modeling more of the sawmill campus and town would provide some interesting variety.

Mark

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  09:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of having the Sawmill area being all lumber related, but I have a few reasons why I am still moving forward with keeping the coal ripples. First, and main reason, my interest is mostly in the coal side of the manns creek ry. My desire to to have as much coal operation as possible, which means having as many coal focused switching opportunities as possible. Second reason would be that the depth of the bench work along the mainline coming into the mill area is about 8-10”, any structures along that area would most likely have to be flats, and personally I wanted to avoid flats as much as possible because they are hard to blend into a backdrop and have it look right from all angles. The nice thing about coal tipples is that they can go over the tracks and give them more depth than the 8”.

If I were to be doing an exact model of the MC I would have a good argument for having that tipple, just off Glade Creek, along Butler creek according to the map of Landisburg was what looked like a large 2-3 track coal tipple

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  10:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I explored this area years ago, I was struck by the "loneliness" of these coal towns. Most towns grow larger each year, but these coal towns are practically gone........imagine walking to school near "Shades of Death creek" just below Landisburg in the early 1900's.......

I really like what your doing here Jeff........so much "story" to tell in addition to building a model rwy. and "running trains".......

Download Attachment: Shades-of-Death-Creek.jpg
147.3 KB

us-okrim
New Hire

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  12:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

I have been looking at your mini 3D model and prints over the last few weeks as well. Referring to your post from 3/28 on 10:35pm - 1st picture. I am concerned about spacing between levels, taking away a good view of your greatly modeled coal unloading area. Maybe it will be fine, not sure - a mini sized person to gauge viewing height/level would be awesome to judge scene visibility for us followers.

We are all kind of eager for you to get started with your new layout in real basement scale size. When is your room becoming available, what timeline are you looking at?

Thanks, Mirko

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  08:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by us-okrim

Jeff,

I have been looking at your mini 3D model and prints over the last few weeks as well. Referring to your post from 3/28 on 10:35pm - 1st picture. I am concerned about spacing between levels, taking away a good view of your greatly modeled coal unloading area. Maybe it will be fine, not sure - a mini sized person to gauge viewing height/level would be awesome to judge scene visibility for us followers.

We are all kind of eager for you to get started with your new layout in real basement scale size. When is your room becoming available, what timeline are you looking at?

Thanks, Mirko

thanks, the model is hard to get a size perspective on, that is why I made the little trains. I tried to make a person but all the files i have found to down load a person is not printable. in the area of the dump trestle the tracks at the trestle are 52" from the floor, the bottom of the benchwork of the level above the dump trestle is 70" off the floor, which puts the bottom of the upper level right at my forehead, the separation is 18" between levels.

i am not going to try and hide the fact that the trains will be high, most of the time upper chest level to nose level, which is what i wanted. on my previous layout I had many of these same elevations and I like them, however I do know that I will get some people come see the layout that won't like how high it is. I am going to provide some flip down steps in switching areas that will provide about 4" of height for shorter operators. on the flip side of that will be anyone that is 6'-6" will be a little uncomfortable. It would be impossible to build a layout to satisfy everyone so i decided to build it to satisfy me.

as far as when will i start building, with this COVID thing I don't know. my son is living in my train layout room and I am not sure how this will effect him buying a home, it may help and it may hurt. I have plenty of things to build for the layout so I am in no hurry. what is nice about building this model of the layout is that now I have a better idea of what will fit and I can start building some of the structures. One structure I really want done and functional right away will be the working strip coal tipple.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  08:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i finished the layout model, and now it is time to move on to real models.

here is the upper level all in place. it is not exactly sitting at the right height because i glued the upper level to a piece of card stock to make it strong, the resin is pretty fragile. I also had to cut away the "concrete" to get the upper level to sit in place.

i printed a few more trains to fill some of the new areas. here is the "junction" (area 5).

this is area 9, which I decided will be more like tipple #7 on the Manns Creek. I decided to not have any houses here and keep it more remote, Tom's comments reminded me that I really want to enforce the feeling of being isolated. this area will be high (about chin level), but the tracks are all very close to the front edge of the layout and there are only two turnouts. Also, having the small creek running along the front edge of the layout was there to help lower the front edge of the layout and eliminate the need for bushes or trees, which will help it feel lower that it really is.

i made a few standard gauge cars, i made a box car and flat car that has a lumber load on it. I also made some other narrow gauge cars, a few flat cars and some box cars. the standard gauge cars are 40' and the narrow gauge cars are 20'. i also changed the road here at the interchange. I wanted to include what would be Old State Road, which crossed the tracks just ahead of the interchange yard, and I also added a little bit of the road along the front edge by the depot. I am thinking that when I build the layout I will move the standard gauge line a little closer to the backdrop by the houses to have a little more space for two story houses to help block the standard gauge line as it runs into the backdrop. The taller houses will do a better job at blocking the weird termination of the standard gauge line. I also will change the scenery where Old State Road crossed the standard gauge tracks

that's it for the layout model, it sure was fun to build. i am going to do an updated video tour of the layout soon and I will post the link here.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  3:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i did a mock up of what the layout will be like at the dump trestle. in this image the pink foam is the bottom of the upper level and the white foam represents the back of the upper deck backdrop, as you can see it pretty much is centered on my forehead.

artvdw
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  10:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff:

If you are going to have working coal tipples, how do you plan on unloading the cars?

I once visited a HO Layout where there was a working coal tipple. I am not sure how close to the prototype it was, but the owner had rigged it so that the 'right' amount of coal would be loaded into each car via a chute. Then, the consist would head out and back each coal car into the unloading structure, which again may not have been prototypical. The coal unloading was done by a vacuum with the hose above the top of the car. The hose was hidden by the walls. When the cars were unloaded, the vacuum was turned on and the coal was sucked up into the canister and distributed back to the coal tipple. You could not see the individual coal chunks rising up into the hose - all you saw was a conical pile of coal in the car slowly getting smaller. It was very impressive to say the least.

In looking at your coal unloading structure, I am not sure you would be able to hide the hose from the vacuum, but it might be something to think about.

Art

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by artvdw

Jeff:

If you are going to have working coal tipples, how do you plan on unloading the cars?

Art

Thanks for the information, but I have been working in the unloading part of the equation already. Here you can see my unloading trestle in operation on my previous layout, which I saved and will be reusing”
https://youtu.be/6sR68fXGgTU

artvdw
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  11:11:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having seen some of the other ingenious devices you have dreamed up and added tp your layout, I should have known that you would have something up your sleeve. Are you a Mechanical Engineer by any chance?

I have seen some guys who are fast when it comes to putting a layout/details/ideas together, but you are way at the top of the list.

I very much enjoy this thread, and since I live so close, I hope that I can visit your layout sometime after all this virus stuff settles down.

Art

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/06/2020 :  2:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by artvdw

re you a Mechanical Engineer by any chance?

Art

no, close, I am a mechanical designer. I work all day trying to make the engineers desires come true. I have been in design and fabrication for over 30 years.

thanks for checking out my post, i am glad you like it, i keep trying to post new stuff as often as I can

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2020 :  09:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i started painting the stone work under the railroad office. i getting happier with it but i am not sure I am where I want to be yet. I am looking for a dirty sandstone color. The sandstone in the Sewell area is a yellowish tan color, but it gets dirty and i want that look.

i started out here with the color

then I tweaked it a little to make it lighter, here is where I am at now.

i also installed the lighting, for now there is a battery in the vault area and i attached a reed switch to the roof.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  06:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the model of the model. Really helps to visualize

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  3:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a video tour of the model of my future layout, sorry it is on the long side
https://youtu.be/u7bTgY900tk

Page: of 83 Topic Next Topic: Oregon Lumber Co.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000