Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2018 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow ... nice looking room!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  5:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still not much to show, but at least this time it is a train. I purchased a locomotive from Ebay that was one of Lee Snover's locomotives. Lee was a pretty well known model railroader in some circles of the hobby, and sadly he passed away a few months ago. I was talking with Lee when I was working on the repowering of my Westside Heisler. Lee was known for many things, one of which was his ability to get Precision Scale shays to run really well. I was poking around Ebay and notices that some of his personal shays were being listed, one of which is was a large 60 ton Oregon Lumber shay #7. I tried to ignore it but it did not work and I ended up winning the auction. The Slater creek now has a BIG shay. I will do a few modifications to get it to fit the family and then paint in in the next year.

And in case you were thinking, a west cost shay in WV, this shay looks like a west cost shay but it is not, it is much smaller than a WCS, but what a beef cake! And although it is a stretch to see it in WV it could have been. it was even built as a coal burner before being converted to a wood burner. I assume by the stack that this model is a coal burner.

here is the shay with my other two three cylinder shays. as you can see it is much longer than my previous big shay (#8) bit really not much taller. for the record #8 is getting a new boiler and dome placement in the next year or 2 and it will make it look a little bigger. sorry for the poor photo, I still have no good model railroad space.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 11/26/2018 5:32:31 PM

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  08:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

The high sill/running boards are the first difference that caught my eye between the new and old Shays. Did Lee run this locomotive? Is that front coupler operable?

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a book on the Yosemite Valley RR and it included all the logging inclines along the line. They hoisted those large 3 truck shay up a 78% grade!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  05:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that high running board is also the first thing that I saw as well, I like it. if you look at my Babcock number 2 shay it has a raised running board and an air tank mounted below as well, just not as raised, so there is a similar look. the other thing that caught my eye is the snow plow mounted to the front and rear truck, not sure if I will keep those on yet.

I don't know if Lee ran this on layout of his own, I am assuming he ran it on a test track. I have not applied any power to it yet because I still do not have a work bench set up. I don't even know if this is DC or DCC yet. it do know that the drive is smoooooooth. with the drive shafts disconnected it rolls like butter. I turned the crank shaft by hand and it is also smooth, and I can feel the coreless motor. my only concern is how powerful will it be. My #8 shay is a beast of a powerhouse, but it has a second gear reduction at the rear truck from the Grandt line gear set, this new shay seems to have a sprocket on the motor and is direct drive. Also, my #8 shay really out weighs this shay and it has steel driving wheels which give it a lot of traction. I will want this big shay to at least equal my #8 so I am hoping I can make it all work out.

I am tossing around ideas on how I might change some of the details. for sure the stack is going to change, I want to make one of those flat top spark arrestors for it. The only other things I am considering so far is bigger lights, and maybe doing the real wood running boards. I am so impressed with the real wood on my Babcock #2 shay that I may do it on this shay and on my #8 when I do the new boiler.

The coupler is a non operating brass casting. I will be replacing it with either a Sergent or a Kadee (if I go back to Kadee).

I am making progress on the work shop, I have the walls framed and I am in the process of wiring the outlets and the lights. there is a lot of work left to do with the ceiling. I need to round and air return duct and at the moment there is no room so I am going to have to get creative and figure something out, then I will be able to install a drop ceiling. I wanted to do a drop ceiling so I still have access to the utilities.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000