Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  1:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its been a while since I posted, and a lot has been going on....just not much to do with trains. However, I took this entire week off work and I "made stuff happen", lots of stuff.

first off, I finally got rid of my tendonitis and thought that I could go back to carving on the engine house, but then I came down with Bell's Palsy. You would think that having a paralyzed face would be no big deal but it made my eyesight in my right eye go blurry and I did not want to risk messing up the carving. besides, carving creates a lot of dust and with the ability to blink it really sucks to get dust in your eye. So without the ability to do anything I did a lot of planning and a lot of "what if" stuff.

this week my Bell's Palsy started to subside and it was perfect timing for my week vacation, so last Friday night the pry bars and the saws were flying on the layout.

while this next photo may just look like a hole in the wall it is really a lot more. this hole is the beginning of one thing and the end of another. It is the beginning of my new layout, one that will be the recreation of the Manns Creek Railway, and it is the end of what was the Slater Creek Railway. I came up with a way to convert my current SCRy into a pretty close (and compressed) version of the actual Manns Creek Railway.

My Slater Creek Railway was always based off the MC but I figured that since I had such a small layout room it would be better to build a fictional RR so I would not have to worry about how to fit in the prototype scenes, being fictional I could just lay track as I pleased. That picture of the hole in the wall is where a second track will come out from behind my furnace and enter onto a second deck that will be built above my current layout. What looks like a simple hole was the end result of four days of moving pipes, ducts, wires, and raising a ceiling. It also was the result of tearing out 2/3s of my current layout.

The layout will now have what are know as LDEs, or Layout Design Elements, all strung together with short sections of track. The LDEs will focus on important areas of the MC. The First LDE, which is getting close to being finished is the dump trestle. The dump trestle will be reused from my SCRy with no modification other than I can finally get rid of that tunnel right behind the engine house (no more switch lead in a tunnel.

The second LDE will be the switch back. on the MC the switch back was the first area that a train leaving Sewell (the dump trestle) would have had to "do something". a train going to Clifftop to Sewell would have been pushed caboose first up into the tail of the switch back and then just head to Clifftop locomotive first. However a train coming down from Clifftop (locomotive first) had to run around its train so it could travel from the switch back to Sewell locomotive first. I have photographic proof that I feel supports this theory. my feeling is there must have been a safety concern of a break away so locomotives were always on the down hill side. I have a suspicion that the real MC used gravity to get the locomotive on the other end of the train, but there was a run around just up the line from the switch back that could have also been used. since gravity never works well in models I moved the run around closer to my switch back. No trains coming down hill will have to stop their train and swap ends with the locomotive and caboose, which will be a nice way to add time to the travels.

The third LDE, and last will be the town of Clifftop. My Clifftop will be a track for track copy of the real thing with two exception, one, I will have to flip the Strip coal loading tipple to the other side of the mainline. If I left the tipple where it was on the prototype it will be between the operator and his train, and since I plan on making my tipple actually load coal I want the operator so have full view of it. The second exception will be the moving on one of the coal mines. I will have to put a turnout in just past the car shops to reach a mine that will be built out in front of my furnace closet.

I am pretty fired up to get things happening so stay tuned, I want to be building that upper deck by Christmas, and I want to get the track all laid on the lower lever before that happens. All ready in five days I tore out all that old layout, moved all those utilities and installed all the sub roadbed for the lower level, now I am just waiting for my order of flex track to arrive so I can lay track around the back of the furnace.

here is the new switch back LDE area. My SCRy switch back was located here, and actually I was able to reuse the roadbed (with the ties on it, which means that the turnout here is already built, but I have to reinstall it). The view here will continue with my "standing on the mountain side" view to keep the operator standing on the side of the shay that has all the action. so scenery here will fall back to the backdrop. A new backdrop will be installed about 4" away from the original backdrop so I can install steel upper level supports. I already like this area, it is up high and in your face, which will make operating the Sergent couplers (or if my new idea works out, link and pins) much easier.

this next photo is just staged for the fun of it because all the locomotive on the MC faced to the right.

once things are up and running I will start to reletter my SCRy equipment for Babcock Coal and Coke.

This post got long so time to get back to work.

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  4:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive - a real man of action! I plan to enlist my son in law tomorrow to help hang the latest of the OSB to finish my RR room wall then the fun can begin.

Happy Thanksgiving!

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  10:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I had your energy. Progress is very slow on the Choctaw Lumber Co. Your layout is looking good and you have a good plan.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2016 :  10:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I'm glad to hear that your health issues are clearing up. Your future plans for the layout sound interesting.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  6:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

Since you are going all Manns Creek on us, are you going to start a new appropriately named thread?

And, if the coal dump is now at Sewell, you MUST include a historical landmark or two.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  7:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slater Creek was always an inspiration for me. I look forward to seeing the Manns Creek come to life!
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2016 :  9:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's frustrating when health issues get in the way. I'm glad things are going better for you and I look forward to seeing your layout develop.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  12:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, big changes! Looks like you're off to a good start. Good luck with the health issues.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I should start a new thread called "Manns Creek". So from this moment on I will stop posting here on the "Slater Creek Railway" post and start a new one called "Manns Creek Railway".

Mark, the dump area will be called Sewell and aside from the stone engine house there will not be any room for that awesome Sewell station....yet. if I expand the layout some day I would love to mode the area around Sewell station and some of the standard gauge stuff, but O scale is big, and standard gauge stuff is bigger yet, so for now I will stick to just the stuff from the dump trestle on up.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  1:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I should start a new thread called "Manns Creek". So from this moment on I will stop posting here on the "Slater Creek Railway" post and start a new one called "Manns Creek Railway".

Mark, the dump area will be called Sewell and aside from the stone engine house there will not be any room for that awesome Sewell station....yet. if I expand the layout some day I would love to mode the area around Sewell station and some of the standard gauge stuff, but O scale is big, and standard gauge stuff is bigger yet, so for now I will stick to just the stuff from the dump trestle on up.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2016 :  9:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I love that depot, it's really interesting.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  06:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it has been said to "Never Say Never", I guess there is some truth to that. if you read the my last post on this thread I said that I was switching to model the prototype Manns Creek Railroad and that I was going to stop posting on this thread, which I did do, and that I would stop posting on this thread, which I also did do. However, things changed and now I am back to building a new version of the Slater Creek Railway and I am going to someday start posting back to this thread. I was going to start a new thread but I like much of what I have done here and I would rather keep the story going in this place.

so if you are going through this post for the first time and you want to see what happened between this post and the one before it go here.

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48369

then come back to this point to find out what happened next.

for those that have been following along here is an update, sorry no photos yet. Speaking of photos you will see that the photos on this thread (and every other one I have ever made) has been restored. Photobucket created a compromise and I now pay them $70 a year to be able to restore, store, and post my photos. I don't mind paying that for one year, nothing is free and they can't be expected to host photos for free. I know they did it in a crappy way but I had lots of threads that I posted over many years to many sites that I could not go back and fix, and I use my post not only to share but for me to remember how I did stuff.

anyways here is the deal. If you were following along the MC thread you will know that I have moved and have a new space that is a little bigger. I have a plan that I will get posted here soon. progress on the new layout space finally has started last night with on very small step forward with the installation of 2" foam to the concrete walls. Many things have changed since the last basement I finished and learning all the new codes has been very daunting to say the least. Apparently 2" foam now has to be attached to the concrete walls and sealed top, bottom, and any other opening with expanding foam, then the seams need to be taped. then in front of that foam 2x4 stud walls are build, insulated, and covered with drywall. Although I am a few years away from building a layout in that space I do have the one saved piece of layout now set on legs with casters on them. the saved piece is in the area that I am preparing for my future shop so I can work on it over the next couple years and do some minor switching. the plan is for my son to live in my layout room, and when he moves out I will remove a temporary wall section between him and me and roll the section into its final location.

once I get my layout room to the point my son can move in I will start on building my workshop and hopefully by the time snow flies here I will be ready to start building stuff again. I am excited to pick up some of the projects I put away when modeling the MC, like my Heisler and my second caboose. Also, I am working on a couple new operating hopper car designs, one is of a prototype MC car that had bottom dumping doors and the second is my own concoction. A lot of things have changed in the 10+ years since I built the first MC operating hopper car and I think it is time to see if I can do an even better design. Having the ability to 3D print in my shop now allows me to test plastic designs very quickly before committing to a detailed wood build.

more to come soon....I hope. thanks for reading.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  10:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Big changes and substantial projects. Sounds like your basement will be a very comfortable place to live.

Always interested in seeing your work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  05:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had some time last week to get some drywall up. it still will be a while before a railroad is built in this room.

the track plan is going through some changes, the goal is to simplify the construction and hopefully eliminate some (or all) of the lift, swing, or drop gates.

bullbrauch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  11:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great, keep chugging along!

Brandan
Living in Colorado,
home of the Rio Grande

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000