Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  07:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks all. I am still carving away, just finished one of the side walls inside and out. Again, larger stones on the outside and smaller on the inside. I have moved on to the end wall to get a break from the last side wall. there are a lot of stones to carve on a side wall.

here is the outside

this is the inside

to further test the finishing of these walls I built a little stone retaining wall. the next step will be to paint the side with Gesso.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  08:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful stone carving!

George

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  1:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! Great job on the stone carving. Really first rate!

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Dave

Wow! Great job on the stone carving. Really first rate!

Thanks, I learned it all from you.

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  10:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Carving work looks GREAT! You enginehouse is going to be awesome. Looking forward to seeing you paint and weather the "stone".

Cheers!

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job on all that stonework. The result looks excellent and your research on the stone sizing variation throughout the building will look great when it is done

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia

Chris333
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  05:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, In one of your hopper videos you mentioned the color photo in a book. Other than the Lane/Schnepf book have there been any others written about Mann'S Creek?

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  07:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

The stone walls are looking very good. How do you keep your carving consistent over such a large area and from one wall to the next?

Mark

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris333

Jeff, In one of your hopper videos you mentioned the color photo in a book. Other than the Lane/Schnepf book have there been any others written about Mann'S Creek?

No, there is only one MC book. The color photos of the MC are in a book called "Trackside in West Virginia ", there are two pages of color photos

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  3:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quarryman

Jeff-

How do you keep your carving consistent over such a large area and from one wall to the next?

Mark

I don't know, I guess I never thought about. Maybe after carving so many of them my hand just developed muscle memory

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  12:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, great work on carving the stones, and good attention to detail! That engine house is going to look terrific!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  08:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to take a break from carving the engine house walls because it caused my Tendonitis to flare up really bad. While I am waiting for it to subside I decided I needed another caboose. The Manns Creek only had one caboose but I wanted to have two when I have a second operator over and we run two trains. I am basically following what I did for the first caboose except I may modify this one and only have one window per side and change the interior. I also want to make this one even more beat up and give it the "narrow gauge sag" to the frame.

here is the start of the caboose so far.

I also have a possible change to the layout that I am considering, more on that later.

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great! Awaiting changes.

Bill U

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2016 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still fighting the tendonitis, but it is getting better, I hope to be back to carving soon, but this time I will take it easy and just to a little every day.

while I wait I have been side tracked by so many things, from working on friends layouts, house projects, weddings, etc. Also, the thought of a layout change keeps me from doing anything for the current layout.

I have been working a bit on my new caboose. This caboose will look of similar design to the first except it will be more of a work caboose. To change up the look I only have one window per side and I made them a bit smaller. Also, I changed the doors to have a window. I was reading in the Manns Creek book that there were a few logging cabooses that had end doors with windows but no glass in the windows, so that is what I did.

I was not going to do an interior in this caboose, but I started poking around the parts pile and found some O scale tools and things that I decided to add in this caboose, more on that later. I am having a very hard time finding a good source for O scale detail parts, if anyone has a good place let me know.

here are the walls all laid out. For the glass I used real glass and this time I broke a few panes and even left one out.

The big change for the layout I am considering is removing the mining area and the switch back, then continue the line from where the switch back was around the back of the furnace on a grade and emerge on an upper level. normally I don't like multi level layouts but I think that having two decks will help make the feeling of "going somewhere". I also have not been happy with the rock wall behind the engine house that I used to hide the upper mining area that is right next to it.

the second reason for changing the layout has been the Sergent couplers. I love the couplers but I have learned that they are a lot nicer to use if all your tracks are located in the front half of the layout. tracks and sidings that are toward the backdrop are hard to operate the couplers. It seems rather extreme to change a layout just because I want to use a specific coupler, but the truth is that since I made the structure mock ups I have not liked the track layout I have. I meant what I wrote in my MRP 2016 article about it being different in O scale from HO when the structures are between the operator and the train. In one area on my current layout I have a two story company store in front of the runaround track and a truck dump tipple spur. having operated that siding now with the mock up structure in my way has been very unpleasant (even with Kadee couplers).

I have not changed anything yet, I am still in a testing and mock up stage. My main concern is with layout height, since my current layout was built rather high (which I like) it would but the upper level up really high. having a raised platform will help but my ceiling is low in this room because of overhead air ducts. I am looking into changing the ducts to low profile ducts. At the moment my lower level is 48" at the dump trestle, and if I try and maintain a 12" deck separation I am going to have upper level tracks in the 60" range. I have figured out a way to keep the upper level thin and still be strong.

here is a mock up I did. I have been experimenting with LED light strips and I have been pretty happy with them.

this is what I am considering for construction of the upper deck. There will pretty much be no back drop on the upper deck as the trees will go all they way to the ceiling.

at this point it is still an idea.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still side tracked by this little caboose project, it was meant to just be a quick, not detailed, project but I started picking around the parts bin and I found all these cool little details to add to the interior. My goal with this caboose was to make it more of a work car / caboose. The other caboose I have is the actual Manns Creek caboose and I am using it as my main road caboose. This caboose is mostly fictional because there are no other photos that I know of for any of the other cabooses that ran on the MC, other than a passenger car. There is some text that described the other cabooses so I figured that the basic design will be the same, which is basically a box on log car.

For the interior I added a Grandt line stove and a Buffalo Landing figure as the main pieces. The rest of the interior is a work bench, and some shelves and racks, and a first aid cabinet. The bench, shelves and racks will be loaded with tools and junk that I am in the process of painting, and there is a lot of painting to do.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000