Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2010 :  6:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jordon,

Many of us hand lay track in ON30. It is a slow process but very enjoyable and rewarding. I also made all my turn outs (switches) using the Fast Track template and methods.

I have hand laid my rail and built the turnouts since day one.

Tom M.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made a little more progress. I regauged my Bachmann Climax, now I have two locomotives running and two freight cars all gauged to On3. When I get the loop running I am going to go back and get all my locomotives and freight cars gauged to On3 before I go back to layout building.

I build one more turnout and a siding. I modified my rail color a little bit, I made the mainline a little darker rust and I made the siding a really dark / dirty rust. the siding will be sunk in the ground with lots of weeds and the ties and rail will be a little harder to see so I did not weather the ties as much as the mainline.

When I get more track running I am planning on going back and do 4 spikes for every tie, that's right, every tie, I like the way it looks.

I got some paint samples and I am going to pick out a color that best looks like a hazy Appalachia ski so I can get the back drop painted a basic color until the scenery base gets in, then I will go back and paint details on it when I know better what the scenery will look like.

Jeff

Edited by - Coaltrain on 12/10/2010 09:25:59 AM

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, your track looks awesome, makes me think at handlaying too................

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking trackwork Jeff!

Mike

Carrie Creek
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  3:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
If I may, I suggest that you paint primer on the raw masonite before you go and paint the base backdrop colour on. The brown of the masonite some times bleeds thru and you need more coats. "Kills 2" or dry wall primer works well.
I really like your track plan, not alot of track just enough to keep you busy.

Phil Z
POR (press on regardless)

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  6:08:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the look of your loco on this very nice track, Jeff.

racedirector
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  08:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit racedirector's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doing a damn fine job there Jeff, it is looking so good! Keep the updates coming. Do let us know what colors you decide on for your backdrop, I'm going to be needing the same for my new layout soon.

Bruce Nordstrand, Riverstone, NSW, Oz-stralia

Back in HO...and stayin there!

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  2:02:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great progress Jeff, hand laid track looks awesome.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks all. Little progress report, I have three of the five turnouts built for the staging tracks. I am in the process of laying the ties, by next week 3/4 of the loop will be operational.

I had a request to show how I build my turnouts, the next one I build I will take photos along the way.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  2:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

The track work is impeccable and the color of the ties and rail is spot on. With your very high standards of modeling, this is a pleasure to follow. What bugs me is the spikes- and I have the same problem with the one spur I handlaid- they are just so oversized. I have been thinking about better ways to approach this, such as this:

From the JT layout construction thread in the on30 forum.

What are your thoughts on this?

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  2:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if individual tie plates are sold in HO scale.. because obviously O scale tie plates (Grandt Line) wouldn't fit.

Would it be feasible to use N scale spikes? Also what code rail are you using? 83 or 70?

Arthur

Arthur

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using code 83 rail. I know, the spikes size bugs me. I have scale spikes but they are really a pain to install, maybe I will try it again. I know some narrow gauge railroads used tie plates but my prototype inspiration did not.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 01/24/2011 1:08:22 PM

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  5:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it is how you install them? Let me know if you take another stab at it. The more I look at my handlaid code 83 spur, the more I want to rip out the other tracks and redo it all and do it the right way. There has got to be a tool out there that can handle those tiny spikes.

Perhaps we could confer with those who handlaid N scale tracks and ask them what their secret is.

Arthur

Arthur

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  05:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried them again, they sure bend easy and they do not have any holding power, I think the last time I used them I dipped them in ACC before I pushed them in. Maybe if I predrill a holes it would be easier to install them. they sure look good.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2010 :  09:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HO tie plates are available, from the Proto87 people at least. I've also tried simulating them using paint, and like the results-to-work ratio. I posted a couple of photos on the NMRA Model RR Civil Engineer thread under "Construction" a while back. In photos and visits to the old D&RGW, I've observed that tieplates were often skipped as an unnecessary expense on logging and mining railroads.

I handlaid some code 55 using Micro-Engineering's "micro" spikes and bent a lot of them. When I used them in my switch for the AP, I tried drilling and didn't bend any. 4 per tie will hold ok due to "strength in numbers", unless you use an oversize drill.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000