Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  02:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice pics.

What is the white stuff around the smokebox door on #8?

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  07:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin

Nice pics.

What is the white stuff around the smokebox door on #8?

it is a sealer. on locomotives that are maintained well you hardly see it, however there are many photos of shays that have it applied very heavy and it is visible. My guess is that over time the doors have warped and they won't seal as well and it becomes hard to pull a draft through the tubes if the door is leaking air.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  07:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

Here is a tunnel portal on the New River Trail in southwest Virginia, not too far from where Brian lives:

The portal on the other end of the tunnel is stone.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not much going on with the RR, but I did take a little video the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ66SsTmBFY

finally, the Nova is finished, so I should get some more RR time in.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/04/2015 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful!

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2015 :  07:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only done one think for my layout all summer, I took a break from making the HO scale Mankato depot to build a flatcar load of untreated ties. The ties are made from pine. the tie load is headed to a siding where there is a creosote treatment tank, per the Manns Creek Ry. I will have to make a load of treated ties to swap out with it after the car has been reloaded.

here is a photo of the flatcar and load in a short freight train, the box car is empty and will be spotted at a mine to be loaded with some machinery that needs to be hauled down to the locomotive shop for some repairs that could not be done at the mine.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  10:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

Very nice scene. Is this along the wall opposite the coal dumping operation? It kind of appears that the facia is high here. Is the grade down in a cut coming out of the tunnel? Very cool. As is that boxcar. Is it based on an eastern narrow gauge prototype?

Where did you find the reference to a creosote treatment tank? Is it in the Manns Creek book somewhere?

Mark

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2015 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes this area is across from the coal dump. The train exits a tunnel, crosses Slater Creek and climbs the 4.75% grade up to the switch back, I posted a video link to this location .

The boxcar is a Rio Grande car from San Juan Car company that I shortened to 24'. So I guess you could say it is a western design.

Yes, there is a reference in the MC book on a tie treatment area. There was a switch located between Manns Creek and the back of the company store where there was a short siding.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  07:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

I have only done one think for my layout all summer

That's one more thing than I did!

Arthur

Bill Uffelman
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  3:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your MRP 2016 article left is excellent!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Nova" - Spanish for 'Does not go" :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  4:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Uffelman

Your MRP 2016 article left is excellent!

Thank you

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2016 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This thread needs another update.

Arthur

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  11:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, it has been a while since I have been posting, and that is because it has been a while since I turned a wheel or worked on the Slater Creek. With the Nova finished, the HO scale Mankato depot finished, and the 1949 Chevy pickup almost finished it is time to return to my own layout. I don't have much to show since I just started working on it but here is what has been happening and some news of a possible change.

First, I purchased seven pairs of San Juan 220 trucks to upgrade all my earlier hopper cars that were riding on the 202 trucks. The 220 trucks are bigger trucks that look closer to the prototype trucks under the Manns Creek hopper cars. As each car is being fitted with the new trucks I am also upgrading the details on the cars and updating the frames to match the final design. I will post a before and after photo when I finish them.

Second, I also purchased 40 pairs of Sergent couplers. A while ago I bought 2 pairs (one pack) and did a test to see if I would like to operate when them. The couplers operated well and looked great but with just two cars converted it was really hard to tell what it would be like to operate with them, so I decided to buy enough to convert everything and then some. So far I have 10 pieces of rolling stock converted and last night I did a little switching with them, and.....I am not sure I like them yet. I love they way the look and uncoupling with them is a dream, however coupling is a concern. To couple cars together you have to open the knuckles just like the big guys, and that can seem to not be a big deal but if the car is on a siding that is a little bit away from the edge of the layout you have to reach way into the scene, and that could be an issue with breaking things. It is also a little hard to see if the knuckle is open (good thing this is not HO scale). The final issue is that there seems to be a smaller window of how far off center the couplers will be and still couple. With both knuckles open you can be off center a little and they will still couple, with only one knuckle open you can still couple up but every thing has to be pretty much right on. operating in areas on the layout when the tracks are close to the operator and easy to reach there is not much of an issue, however I still need some time to see if I can deal with coupling in hard to see and reach places.

third, I pulled my beloved Wow decoder from my big #8 shay. I am not sure I have shared on this post the troubles I was having with the Wow decoder so I will provide summary. When I first built #8 I installed a Tsunami decoder. Shay #8 started life as a Kemtron shay which is an old kit that has steel rim wheels. The steel wheels get dirty fast and the Tsunami decoders do not like any dirt what so ever an operating the locomotive was difficult at best. When the TCS wow decoder came out with keep alive capacitors I bought one and swapped it out with the Tsunami, which is easy because they share the same plug. The Wow made #8 run like a dream and the sound was light years better than the Tsunami decoders, however an issue surfaced when I took the first train down grade, which resulted in a run away situation. I thought the run away was due to the large CV4 value, however changing CV4 to 0 did not solve the issue. I had suspicions that my issues were caused by the bevel gear drive, which is so free that as I push the locomotive by had it will turn the wheels and drive train. I tried to convert the locomotive to a worm drive but I could not get the correct gear reduction, one was either too slow or it was too fast with no power. I also thought that the BEMF might be the issue so I contacted TCS and they said there is no way to turn off BEMF on a Wow decoder. TCS and they wanted me to send the locomotive to them for testing but that was just not going to happen. A few weeks ago I saw a post by Brian Bond where he tried to install a Wow in a PSC shay with a coreless motor and he had issues with his as well. Through his research he found that other were having troubles with decoders and coreless motors, everything from poor running to actually melting the motor. Brian swapped out his Wow decoder for an ESU Loksound and all was well. So, I ordered a Loksound V4.0 decoder programmed for a shay and installed it last night, bam, problem solved, shay is back to running perfect....almost. The ESU decoders do not have keep alive capacitors so I am back to keeping the wheels clean. They are not as bad as Tsunami decoders but they are not as good as a decoder with a keep alive. Also, the whistle on a Wow decoder functions much better than the Loksound, but maybe I can fix that.

Here is a video I shot this morning of #8 with the new Loksound V4.0 decoder. The video also shows some of the Sergent couplers, which is hard to film while operating them.

https://youtu.be/TExAXPUqvPU

Not to make a "too long" post even longer, but there is a chance that the Slater Creek will be getting a new home. It looks like we may not be moving as soon as we thought we were going to, so that means that the large dream basement will have to wait. However there is a space behind my house that could allow for an above ground expansion that would give me a little more room to work with. The current layout is in a space that is 9(ish) feet by 16(ish)feet, the new space would be 14 x 21 feet. It is not a lot bigger but it could be just enough to allow a little better track plan, I just have to decide if the little bit more will be worth the cost. The good news is that it will be above ground which will make it cheaper than if it were a new basement. A second and more costly option (but much larger space) would be to excavate under the slab portion of our house.

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  1:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

TCS make a couple of KeepAlive capacitor banks that you can buy independently and then hook up to other decoders. Soundtraxx makes one too, but I'm not familiar with it as it's too large for most HOn3 applications.

I've had good results with TCS KA1s hooked up to both a Tsunami and an Econami. (The Econami installation guide has wiring diagrams for using a KeepAlive, and this page gives connection diagrams for Tsunamis: http://sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/soundtraxxcurrentkeeperinstallation.html)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000