Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Large Scale RC Logging & Operating Sawmill Topic Next Topic: 70 ton shays
Page: of 70

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  07:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a longer version of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5Iww3gsF8&list=UUIVZE-UKg1sTpE4OW3pjtyw&index=4

CBryars2
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit CBryars2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Outstanding.

The shay is work of art!

Trees worked really well, a scene to be proud of.

Cameron

Edited by - CBryars2 on 03/30/2015 12:34:56 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  2:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want 18:20 more of that Video. That was great!

It's only make-believe

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sense of depth of the canyon almost made me sick to the tummy... Really outstanding modeling.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  11:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! I love the dark, shadowy depths between the trees -- makes it look like a real forest.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  07:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Really coming together, Jeff.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/05/2015 :  12:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everything is looking very nice. I really like how you're looking down into the valley. Most scenes on model railroads your in the valley looking up the sides of the valley. Very nice!

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice run of the Climax.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  08:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone. I am going to take a break from the On3 railroad now to focus on the HO depot that I am scratch building for a friend and I am making the last push to get the Nova and the 49 pickup running for summer.

One last thing before I depart. I have been waiting for Sergent to rerelease their S scale coupler to test them out on my On3 layout. The S scale coupler are just about the same size as Kadee On3 couplers and make a good match for the undersized prototype narrow gauge couplers. I first tried Sergent couplers on my HO scale layout years ago and was pretty disappointed with them. To test the HO couplers I bought preassembled couplers, that way I new they would be built correctly. The issues I had with the HO couplers were they amount of force it took to couple and close the knuckle and the amount of fussing it took to open them back up. with the old couplers it was almost impossible to couple to a single free standing car.

Sergent went back to the drawing board and redesigned the couplers and I have to say I am fully impressed. The S scale couplers come only as a kit, but they are easy to assemble. No instructions come with the couplers, but you can find them on their website, they are easy to assemble. I followed their instructions and use the Rustoleum primer to paint the couplers before assembly. Either I did not do it right or something was wrong with my paint but I was not happy with this paint, it sat for two days and still felt a bit tacky and I ended up scraping it off all the moving and contact surfaces. I think next time I will use my airbrush and some other type of paint.

Aside from the paint issues everything went together fine. I only purchased two pairs of couplers for testing. of the four couplers three operated very free, the fourth is a little sticky and my guess is it is from the paint, so I will take that one apart and redo it. I found that the knuckles have to flop open very freely when the coupler is held upside down, meaning if you flip the coupler over so the bottom is facing up the knuckle must open and close without any catch or stickiness.

here is quick video I did of a coupler test. My only concern with using these would be having to couple and uncouple on tracks that are a little bit harder to see and reach than tracks right in front of you. The Kadee couplers seem to allow for more misalignment and still be able to couple, the Sergents will need to be lined up closer. One test I did was to leave one knuckle closed and only have one open and it still worked fine.

I also tested uncoupling and this part works very well, much better than Kadee couplers. What I liked is that I did not need to have so much slack in the coupler to get them to uncouple like you have to with Kadee couplers. There cant be a lot of force on the coupler but was surprised that I was able to pull a car forward and uncouple it without have to back up the train to give it slack.

I will run my test cars a round and try switching on all my sidings before I make my final decision about doing a full conversion.

here is my demo video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t38lQ1cIguA

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2015 :  07:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a comparison photo between a Kadee #803 coupler and the Sergent S scale. Also shown for On30 people is the Sergent HO coupler and the Kadee #5.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  8:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Thanks for the comparison test. I too am thinking of a full conversion- from what you say, the Sergeant HO version is the best for on30?

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 04/25/2015 :  11:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the HO version would be good for On30. The HO version will fit in the coupler On30 box, but those HO sergent couplers are tiny. What I was trying to say is the S scale couplers are nice sized for O scale narrow gauge, but if you want to use them for On30 you will have drill out the hole bigger and make a special coupler box cover to accept the thicker shank

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not much going on with the layout these days but I was taking some photos for an article that will be published in the 2016 Model Railroad Planning issue and thought I would post some of the ones that did not work out. Most of the time I just shoot photos around the layout in a quick manner to see if any turnout, then reshoot those with a better set up. As a rule I won't post photos that are similar to any I have sold.

I also have been working here and there on the tunnel portal. I didn't want to have a tunnel at all but I could not get the track plan to work without one. I was going to just do another blasted rock portal but then I thought a wood portal with some earth sloping down on it with some larger rocks around it to look as if it was constructed to fix a failing rock portal.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  10:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice pictures, thanks.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2015 :  01:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the portal. Your concept reminds me of such a portal on the late Paul Scoles' layout. It was very nice, and no doubt yours will be too.

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: Large Scale RC Logging & Operating Sawmill Topic Next Topic: 70 ton shays  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000