Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  1:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It looks like you are accomplishing what you set out to do. It looks believable to me.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very convincing, Jeff.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  11:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great! I think you've nailed it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a good model of a RR a decade or more after it was built through a fairly mature forest. But I don't know the history of logging in the valleys used by the Mann's Creek.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2015 :  6:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

I am interested to see how you are going to model trees on some of the very steep slopes on your layout. I have the same situation to deal with.

Mark

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2015 :  08:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quarryman

Jeff-

I am interested to see how you are going to model trees on some of the very steep slopes on your layout. I have the same situation to deal with.

Mark

You should not have to wait too long, that is what I have to do next, I am not 100% sure what I am going to do but I some ideas.

I made a little more progress on the forest and I decided to stage some equipment in front of it to see if it is doing its job. I should have this small area finished this week and then I am moving to the steep slope across the tracks from this spot.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  08:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I pretty much finished up the scenery on the far side of the tracks, now I have moved over the near side, which is the harder of the two because I am doing scenery on the back side of a hill. To finish off the far side scenery I went over the area and spot sprayed some diluted matte medium on the static grass using my air brush, then I put some tall dry grass color static grass in my applicator and hit those wet spots. The added tall dry grass helps tone down the bright even green that I had put down last week. I am always amazed how those little pieces of static grass will stick to the ends of the previously applied grass, and when it dries it is durable (to a point).

The near side hill has two challenges, first is facing away from me and there is no way to get on the other side to work on it, even viewing what I have done has been hard, I have to use my cell phone to take photos and review them to make sure I am not missing spots and all is working out as planned. The other challenge is that the hill is really steep, too steep if you ask me, I should have not made it as steep as I did, but it will be good practice because I have some other areas with steep hills that I had no choice on how steep they had to be.

What I am going to try is to use tall trees in the front rows and then as the slope increases I am just using 3"-4" tall super trees planted directly in the ground without the use of the trucks like I did on the other side of the tracks. I started planting the short super trees about 2/3 up the slope and worked down, had this been at a backdrop I would have started all they way at the top, but I had to work toward the front of the layout as well in this spot which required some ground cover work.

Once I had a few trees planted on the hill I glued some of my bare trunks and small trunks until I had a dense patch of trunks, then I let that dry. After the trunks dried I when back in the forest and spread more ground cover to hide the glue and make it stronger. The ground cover was glued in place and left to dry. Then I went back in and added the mid branches from super tree material, which I glue to the trunks with ACC. I mist the trunks with Zip Kicker and dip the small branches in ACC, then stick them on the tree trunks, bonding is almost instantaneously. After that I finished up the front edge of the forest with smaller thinner super trees planted close to the ground and then I tuck in some shrubs made form some super tree branches and some Silflor products.

I use the same short super trees I planted in the hill to create the tree tops on the tall trunks I planted. I put a little hot glue on the tops of the trunks and just skewer the tree tops in place, it goes fast, just stab and tuck. I tuck in more super tree branch material here and there to fix bad spot, no glue, just tuck it in here and there until it all looks good. When I am finished I put diluted matte medium in my air brush and spray the entire forest with it, this will bond it all in place.

here is the hill with just a bit of early shredded dead leafs

here is the first batch of super trees planted in the hill. I trimmed up the back of the trees so they sit closer to the hill, I saved the trimmings to make small shrubs or to tuck into bald spots.

I will get some more photos of the new area soon

Edited by - Coaltrain on 03/26/2015 08:04:09 AM

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2015 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

I see you have at least one area on the layout where the fascia is high enough to block the view of the train passing through the scene. The one you are working on seems to be near the door of the room. I imagine you designed the scene to hide where the track goes out onto the lift bridge. Now that the scenery is going in and the final scene is coming together, do you think the high foreground scenery "works" the way you anticipated? Will that foliage be in harm's way when operating?

You describe difficulties working "backwards" on scenery facing away from the aisle. Do you think it's worth it to include high foreground areas on a layout built for operation in the design of the scenery?

Progress looks really good,

Mark

pdesigndavidson
New Hire

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  01:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

As always really inspiring work!

I seem to look forward to your post in spite of what ever work load I have doing on, as over last 4 weeks I designed the set designs for a new ABC TV comedy - likely airing in the fall, as well as humping my way thru an on going very challenging architectural project under construction.

I can't wait until I can start work on my narrow gauge layout, likely in the later fall. I hope to share in return then.

So in following your tree and forest construction of last week or so, I found myself staring at the cover on the new April issue of "Railroad Model Craftsmen", that I recently received in the mail. In some way for me the cover photograph is so normal and a bit banal, that the foliage became so believable, that I found myself actually wondering if it was perhaps a real train on the cover, which I could not imagine the new publishers doing.

That's how real the forest behind looked in this photograph to my eye. It seems correctly in scale, had muted tones and some more saturated tones found in nature. and above all else it seemed to have some branches with wisps of foliage, some bare branches and others with a bit of tracery of foliage here and there.

The train is nicely weathered for the shot, and in fact the only element that gives away the shot for me is the lack of dirt and dust on the stone culvert in the foreground of the RR embankment. The culvert just reads as too pristine in the context of everything else being so correct.

Have a look as this work I assume to be by Gary Butts, might inspire you and your work, although it is a different region and forest, some principles may carry over.

Just trying to assist, not saying your work needs anythings. Just that sometimes really great work can be strengthened by other really strong examples.

Have fun and keep it coming!
Peter

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  08:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put some more light on the scene to light up the dark areas to the left because the high trees are casting shadows into the deep scene.

back to the near side tall scenery. here is the progress to date. the shiny areas on the trees I fix by going in with a brush and some acrylic paint. These trees look more shiny then they are in person because I am holding a flood light in my hand and trying to take the photo at the same time. My plan is to install some overhead lights in this area up in the ceiling and the light will be softer and not glare like they are.

thanks Peter, I will check out the cover.

Mark, the tall front edge scenery was put there to reinforce to the operator that they are on the mountain side looking down toward the creek, rather than the default looking at the mountain view. Now that there are trees on the front scenery it does help block the view that the layout does end at the door and drop down. I now wish I had curved the backdrop around and ran it out on the end of the layout because getting photos in this location without showing the door is almost impossible without future digital editing.

as far as operating with tall front scenery, I would not have it where someone one would need to reach in. In this location any switching that has to be done can be handled with offsetting the coupler in the open area and shoving back in where it is hard to reach. I had to do this a lot on my HO layout and those that operated at my house just got used to it.

Up at the mining area I am going to have the same issue where I have a two story company store, it acts just like tall front scenery.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 03/27/2015 08:30:33 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2015 :  10:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the boxcar on the last photo, think about adding "splashmarks" up the sides of the car where road dirt would be kicked up by the wheels. That would add a final touch to some excellent weathering!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  12:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This scenery is turning out great!

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  1:41:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything about this project is just spectacular. Love the scenery and trackwork, and the engines have all come out beautifully as well.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  07:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

On the boxcar on the last photo, think about adding "splashmarks" up the sides of the car where road dirt would be kicked up by the wheels. That would add a final touch to some excellent weathering!

dave

thanks, I may try that weathering idea. that car is one of my old Bachmann On30 cars that I converted to On3. I turned the car into a track cleaning car that I run around the loop to clean the hidden track, normally it is not in use for operations, that is why I never put the grab irons on the end or the break wheel

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/30/2015 :  07:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the layout all cleaned up for the photo shoot, so I thought I would do a short video of a train running through the new scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOEHJ7ZbnQc&list=UUIVZE-UKg1sTpE4OW3pjtyw

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000