Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  07:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops, double posted a photo, that's what I get for trying to post on an iphone.

here is the other photos

I just have to do the cab doors and I am done. I am going to make them with working hinges...I think. I have the doors made and I was going to attach them in an open position but I think it would be nice if the could be open and closed.

I have been struggling with the trucks, they ran perfect but I noticed yesterday that I forgot to attach the small shields that go over the pinion gears. While soldering one in place I accidently soldered one of the axles to the journal, and I have been struggling to get it free.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  07:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention, the steps up into the cab will have wood steps added once I get it all assembled and running correctly. I will also go around a straighten all the bent parts you see when all the heavy work is done and I don't have to handle it so much.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  09:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is some beautiful work, Jeff.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/02/2015 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to see her all painter up.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

the arkansas traveler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/05/2015 :  09:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,
Well she get better and better with each post. Very impressive work - very impressive!!! How are you going to attach the steps? Can't wait to see how you finish and paint it.
BILL

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  07:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed today that I had four private messages, one as old as july of last year. I am really sorry if you sent me a private message and I never replied, I was not ignoring them. I almost never login before I post so I never see my messages.

if you send me a message maybe post on this post that you sent me a message so I remember to look at it.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  8:37:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heh, thanks for the reminder -- I'm always forgetting to see if there any private messages for me on the various forums I visit.

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  11:49:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been struggling with the trucks, they ran perfect but I noticed yesterday that I forgot to attach the small shields that go over the pinion gears. While soldering one in place I accidently soldered one of the axles to the journal, and I have been struggling to get it free.

I did the same thing, had the trucks working perfectly and then soldered the covers on and the shafts also. Took a long time to get them free, then I painted them and got paint in the same place and had to free them up again.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  07:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the good news is that I got the trucks all back to working order. note to self, make sure all soldering is done on the trucks before you put the shafts in.

I also had another small victory this week, I got the cab doors installed and they open and close. It will be nice for photos to have the doors open in some and closed in others. the hinges I made worked out so well that I am considering making the front windows open and close as well.

I will get some photos of how I made and installed them, but I have to warn you that they are not easy to do, it takes over an hour to do the door.

here are two photos to show the door in its closed and opened positions.

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  4:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Looks great!

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  11:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, how did you make the hinges?

Joe Batson MMR#475

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoebTX

Looks good, how did you make the hinges?

Funny you should ask

here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at2YX9pZBrU&list=UUIVZE-UKg1sTpE4OW3pjtyw

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2015 :  11:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the video.

Joe Batson MMR#475

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  08:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got asked to write and article for Model Railroad Planning 2016 last week. The nice thing about MRP is that the subject and type of articles they feature they don't require the layout to more than half finished like articles in Model Railroader do. Matter of fact some articles on layouts in MRP don't have any scenery or even much of the layout built, it is mostly on concepts. Even though MRP does not require finished scenes I still felt like it would be nice to have something to show my finished intent. Many of the layouts in MRP are very operation intense, where the operation of the railroad is the lure that make people want to model it, however in narrow gauge there is more of a balance between operations, scenery, and unique model building, and I want to show some of the scenery that attracted me.

I decided to put away my solder iron and break out the ground foam and test a scenery idea I have been kicking around in my head for a while. one of the bridges that everyone modeling eastern narrow gauge (or all gauges) is how to build a forest of trees. I feel the small the scale you model the easier it gets to model the Appalachian mountain area, with HO scale being about the limit in which mass forestation using simulated trees work. I have always felt that HO scale and smaller tend to make the operator feel as if they are up on a distant hill or building looking at the trains, when you get to a larger scale you become more "in the scene".

As I was walking down the old Manns Creek right-of-way with Brian Bond I took careful note of what the forest looked like when you were "in" the forest, rather than being away from it looking at the edge. Brian and I also ran up to Cass to ride the train and I also noticed the same effect there as well. The edge of the forest (where light penetration goes deeper) the trees are fuller with leafs and there is more under brush, actually the two tend to grow together making the wall of leafs that is hard to view through, which makes it easier to model because you can just suggest trees, and this can get really easy in smaller scales using Super Tress and / or Polly fiber puff balls. Since my RR runs "through" the forest I have to model trees as if we are "in" them rather than running along the edge.

What I noticed while in the forest is that trees in a forest are pretty ugly. If you took a group of trees and cut them all down but the one in the center you would see that the center tree really just has a fuller top and a few scrappy braches down the trunk with very few leafs. I have seen this first hand at my in-laws cabin in northwestern Wisconsin. The area around the cabin is owned by a paper mill and they are always cutting down sections.

The other thing I have noticed while walking through the woods at Babcock and at the cabin is lack of vegetation "in" the forest. The ground is not covered much with grasses and weeds, it is mostly covered with decaying vegetation, which tends to kill of weeds and grasses. What I have seen is the ground is typically covered with dead leafs, braches and lots of small, almost leafless, trees. The most obvious feature "in" the forest are the large numbers of tree trunks, which tend to be very tall and skinny.

here is a photo taken in June along the Manns Creek right-of-way in Babcock state park.

here is a photo from Cass that shows a string of shays on the "edge" of the forest, notice the trees are much thicker with leafs and they tend to grow much lower on the trucks and blend with the under brush that is growing up

I have been kicking around ideas of how to model a forest without modeling hundreds of trees. I feel that I could never make enough single trees to create the effect of all those trunks, not that it would not be possible, I just don't want to spend a life time building trees only to cover a few feet of scenery. I wanted to come up with a way to build a forest, not just a tree. I want the look of many tree trunks with a canopy off leafs.

I wish at this point I could say that I have figured it out and I had a finished photo to show, but I don't. What I do have is a start to show so you can see what I am doing and let me know if the effect is working or not, and also to bounce ideas off of you guys to solve some problems as they come up.

here is what I am trying. I decided to work from the back to the front. I have a great photo backdrop that I got from Trackside Scenery that I installed after I did the scenery contours so I had to cut up the bottom of the backdrop, which caused there to be a visible edge. The first thing I had to do was fill in the bottom to hide that edge, which will also cause a view block to help the cut off the view through the forest, making it not possible to see all the way through it. In the areas I have that are deeper I want the viewer to see in deeper and I will keep it more open farther in, but this area is only a few inches deep and I want to cut off the view. I used some Super trees from my HO layout to fill in the back area along the bottom of the backdrop, stacking them to get more height for O scale. The tree are just stuck together and held in place with a lot of hairspray.

I am using plaster cloth for the scenery shell which I painted a brown color. On top the painted plaster I applied a layer of mulched dead leafs and broken sticks I had gathered from the woods. The leaf bed was soaked with diluted matte medium and left to dry.

To start the forest I went out in the woods behind my house and looked for branches that were the right bark texture and gray color. I also looked for branches that were straighter, I did get some with slight curves for on a hill side. I was not concerned with trunks that had a lot of branch structure. I trimmed the "trunks" so each tree would be tall and skinny, again not worrying it looking like a tree by itself. I started planting a line of trees along the backdrop in front of my filler of Super Trees. At first I drilled holes in the plaster but I had two problems, first is the white powder, the second is that the shear number of holes I drilled weaken the plaster so much that it started to crumble. I tried using a method I had seen on Paul Scoles scenery video where he just applies white glue to the bottom of the trunk and place it on top the finished scenery base, which worked ok but it is really hard to keep the trees standing up on a steep hill while the glue is drying. The last method I tried was drilling out the bottom of the larger trucks and inserting a tooth pick or wire, then the hole I had to drill in the scenery is smaller and the white dust pile is also very small, and when I glued the tree in place the trunk covered the white pile. An idea I am thinking of trying is hot glue. In the end I think that I will actually be using a mix of methods, pinned and drilled holes for the really big trunks, then glue and set smaller trees trunks next that will support themselves by mixing their tops with the larger tree tops. My plan is to set a large number of trunks, big and small to get that dense look.

After I had set an area of trunks and the trunk glue was dry I just started tucking in small pieces of Super Trees, stacking on top to hide the cut off ends and tucking in the middle to make fill. On the sides of some trees I used ACC to attack a few small thinly leafed branches here and there. Along the bottom of the trees by the base of the trunks I added more small vertical trunks and some supper tree material here and there.

I think this is going to look like what I am after, I will know more when I get the first foot or more finished. this group of trees will only go a little more to the right before it has to taper down to the ground to form the "edge".

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  11:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made a little more progress. I started using hot glue to attach the trunks to the ground, it goes much faster. I also glue the trunks to other tree trunks at the top wherever they touch each other.
[/URL]

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000