Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the cab mounted and the roof rolled, then after it was all fitted I went to solder it in place and then realized I forgot to rivet it . I think I can still get rivets in it in its rolled state, I'll just have to get a little creative to do it.

I also decided to try something I have wanted to do for a long time but I have never had the guts to do it, dent up a perfectly good brass locomotive. I have noticed that a lot of steam locomotives have a lot of dents in the boiler jacket. For those that do not know, all boilers have a layer of insulation over them and then a thin wrap of steel to hold the insulation in place. The jacket is in sections, normally clamped on top and held in place by the bands that are at every course, under the bands are the section joints. The thin jacket is typically dented from frequent removals for inspection and repairs to the boiler. To me it looks like small logging and mining locomotives have their jackets quarter section, probably for easier removal and they didn't really care how they looked.

the photos I have of Manns Creek shay #2 shows that it was dented all over the jacket and cab. I decided that I will duplicate the dents, which means denting my nice cab and denting the boiler. The PSC boiler is pretty thick so to duplicate the dents I made new quarter sections of each boiler course out of 0.005 brass and used all kinds of objects to dent it up, then I removed the PSC boiler bands and soldered on my new boiler jacket over the existing PSC boiler, then I reapplied the boiler bands. I really like the dented jacket and I think it will really make this shay look the part. The success of denting the boiler will make it a little easier to dent the cab, but I still think it will be a little harder for me. most of my problem will be that to those that don't know it may look like poor craftsman ship and I will have to explain that it was dented on purpose.

here is the cab roof, not soldered in place and still needing rivets and the back trimmed in length and shape, there should be a bit of a slope up on the bottom edge at the back of the cab, I figured it would be easier to do the slope after I rolled the edge down, then will bead the front and back edges.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  07:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the cab roof finished and soldered in place. the front edge is a bead and the back edge actually has a flat bar riveted to it. The front edge was easy, I just did my typical method of soldering a brass wire around the edge and let solder fill in the bottom. The back edge was a little different, I tried to solder on a rivet embossed strip of brass but it looked too heavy. In the end I soldered a 0.020 brass wire around it like doing a bead but after it was attached I filed it down flat.

The roof was soldered in place and the cab was attached to the frame with screws. Next I will start on the cab interior, which will include all the piping stuff plus the sliding windows. I am going to photo etch stainless steel window frames, the real MC shay had silver metal framed windows so the SS will work well, however the side windows were wood.

here is the locomotive next to #8.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  08:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top notch craftsmanship.

As you think, so will you be.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  7:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, can you hold a soldering class?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2015 :  11:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great work, I love the dents.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  08:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It is very pleasing to see something so well done.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2015 :  11:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can only echo what others have said. Beautiful craftsmanship!

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

the arkansas traveler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/07/2015 :  07:25:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,
Your shay looks awesome so far. I really like the way you did the wood on the walk ways. I have done a sandwich construction to hide weight in models. I have done it on both styrene and wood models.

I have always feared soldering on models but recently I broke out my 10 PSC side dump kits and my resistance soldering unit and discovered that it isn't as hard as I feared. Now I am not quite ready to tackle a locomotive like you are doing but I might be will to try one in the future.

It would be really cool if you could maybe do a PDF presentation or a Youtube video on how you do some of the fine soldering things like the beading around windows.

I love your thread and have learned much from it. I always look forward to what you post.
The layout is beautiful.
BILL

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  2:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, all I have is wow! I keep scrolling back to the pic, just beautiful.

Cheers, Heath.

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  10:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  08:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone. I have had request to do a soldering and brass work demo before, so maybe it is time to do a video on it, I will post a link here if I get one done.

I had a few hours to do some more work on the shay this weekend. I have been adding details, inside and out. At this point I have totally abandon the kit instructions because at this point it is all about detailing it to be the Santa Barbara shay and I am detailing mine to look like the MC shay. So far I have been able to modify the kit parts to look closer to the MC shay, except for the generator and the headlight. For now I have the kits Generator mounted unless I can come up with a closer representation.

The headlight was another issue. The MC shay has a rather strange headlight / backup light arrangement. For some reason the backup light was normal sized, but the headlight was really small and mounted on a base that looks like it was for a much larger headlight. I ended up scratch building the headlight and the base, for the backup light I will use one from the kit.

Having the back half of the cab removable has really helped in detailing the interior. All the piping goes through the floor but after that they are cut off. The kit calls for completing the piping under the floor, which makes the boiler permanently attached to the frame. I have decided not to detail all the piping under the floor unless it shows, and even then it will not be attached to the piping that is going through the floor. I believe that a locomotive needs to be completely serviceable, and this is not a contest model. Also, I need the space between the frame to run wires for the decoder and even if I did install all the piping the wires will take away from the look.

I am getting close to be able to wash up the model, clean off the excess solder, and get it bead blasted, which should make the construction look a lot cleaner.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 02/09/2015 08:27:49 AM

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  08:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on a side note, I was doing some operating and took this photo of #6 getting ready to head back to the mines. For those that are new followers of this thread, #6 started life as a Bachmann On30 shay and was my first venture into scratch building with brass. I believe I did the post on it in the On30 forum because at that time was going to build this layout in On30.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 02/12/2015 :  3:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Never get tired of looking at how well-done she is!

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  6:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got to spend some time on the Shay, it is getting really close to being ready for paint, I just have to finish up the trucks. All the work is done on the boiler, cab, tender, and frame. Here is how it looks now

[/URL]

[/URL]

Here it is sitting next to my other three cylinder Shay

[/URL]

[/URL]

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2015 :  7:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

She cleaned up really nice. Almost a shame to paint her.

Mark

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000