Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: conrailandrew ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Large Scale RC Logging & Operating Sawmill Topic Next Topic: 70 ton shays
Page: of 70

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  6:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Jeff. I am envious of the hobbies and skills you have. Anything you lay your hand on turns into a thing of beauty.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Edited by - CieloVistaRy on 08/29/2014 6:16:07 PM

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  12:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks

I am having a bit of an issue with my Kemtron shay, I need a new axle shaft and I can't seem to find the material anywhere to make one. I was wondering if anyone out there can turn me one out of either brass or steel, basically it would be 2.4mm on the ends with a centered section of 3mm.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2014 :  09:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

Thanks

I am having a bit of an issue with my Kemtron shay, I need a new axle shaft and I can't seem to find the material anywhere to make one. I was wondering if anyone out there can turn me one out of either brass or steel, basically it would be 2.4mm on the ends with a centered section of 3mm.

Jeff,

Got a picture of the offending axle? I may be able to turn up something for you.

Bernd

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  7:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great, I will pull it out his week and measure it up, thanks

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2014 :  07:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an hour at the workbench last night and I took apart #8's rear truck. While checking the diameter I found I had a length of tubing that was 2.5mm OD. For fun I chucked it in a drill and tried to reduce it to 2.4mm, and it actually seemed to work good enough. the nice thing about shay locomotives are that the axles turn so slow and the gears are on the wheels that any small flaws in the axles don't really show up.

So, I appreciate the offer to make the axles but for now I have this one covered.

As far as the status of this project goes, I've picked up a 14:1 worm gear box and a Faulhaber 2020B (15:1 reduction) motor. I have the gear box mounted on the truck and I am in the process of making a new motor mount to line up the motor drive shaft with the gear box. I hope to have it together in the next week, still working lots of overtime so my free time is limited to minutes a week.

After I get this locomotive running I want to get my Heisler running, I will detail and paint it later. that way I will have four running locomotives, then I will go back to building my new PSC shay kit.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/07/2014 :  06:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the shay rebuild is coming along nice, test run shows that the worm drive might be the answer, I will know more later this week.

here is the rear truck with the worm drive gear box installed. It is a NWSL 14:1 worm drive, which I heard is discontinued.

I also have been picking away at another project. When I decided to build a layout in On30 I bought some Bachmann freight cars to use as guides to build my own equipment. The Bachmann cars have been requaged and the coupler heights have been changed for use since converting to On3. When I decided to build in On3 I also wanted to get a reference car, so I bought a San Juan Car Company boxcar kit that was on clearance. I never built the car because it looked out of place, partly because it was obviously a Rio Grande car, but also because it was so long.

A while back I had an idea to shorten the SJCC car to 24'. Basically I just cut out the space where the door was and glued the car back together, then glued the door on the side where an opening should have been. I finished the car this week, except I have not weathered the coupler yet.

I painted the car my hopper car base wood color, weathered the wood color and then brush painted on a bunch of different shades of boxcar red. some of the red I mixed with white to get that faded pink color. for the roof I used the salt method to create the pealing paint look.

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/09/2014 :  10:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great looking boxcar!

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  12:10:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  01:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking box car.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  07:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle!!!! there, I said it. I give up, I am not afraid to admit I could not get my shay to work with a different drive. there is just not enough room and I can't get a motor that works. When I got the gear box right I either had no power and the locomotive could not pull a full 8 cars, or when I got enough power I could not get enough speed. The hard part is getting a motor that is small enough to fit under the tender shell that has enough RPMs, and when you find one that does is sounds like a coffee grinder running.

here is what it looks like to try everything. I think if you look hard at the pile of drive parts you might even find a kitchen sink in there.

I returned #8 back to her original state, the Faulhaber 2020C motor and a highly modified Grandt Line drive, which means I have to figure out a different way to deal with the freewheeling down grade. I programmed CV4 to a value of 0 to see the effect so I know what I am dealing with. it turns out that once I set the throttle to value of 6 and below then the motor and drive friction would be enough to overcome the freewheeling. I set CV4 back to 200 and gave it a test and as long as I got on the brakes and got it down to about the speed I knew was about throttle speed 6 then everything was fine, if I was above that value...."look out below"!

the reason this issue never showed up before I installed the WOW decoder is because I never had a value programmed to CV4 higher than about 10, so when I was going down grade with the Tsunami decoders I already had the locomotive speed down around speed step 6.

time to move on to other projects, like finishing that PSC shay.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2014 :  11:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Someone as talented and uniquely skilled as you crying uncle is very unusual.

That being said, there are plenty of pure scratchbuilders who hit hard walls, and more often than not, the solution is to just put aside the project for a few months and allow the solution to come about by itself.

The PSC shay will be a welcomed change of pace, and once you're done with that, perhaps you'll re-tackle this project with more clarity.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  07:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to quote Dirty Harry, "a mans got to know his limitations". The shay will be fine, runs good with the Grandt Line drive, you just have to know how to keep it under control.

I have moved on, but these days all I do are small projects, I don't want to get involved in anything big because I want to keep the workbench clean for the big HO depot project I will be starting.

A small project I started and finished in one sitting was tuning up the "Big 6". For those that don't know what the Big 6 is, it is a Bachmann On30 shay reguaged to 36" with everything from the running boards up scratchbuilt from brass. The Big 6 is a fantasy locomotive, a big boiler on a little frame, it never existed but it still looks neat, small and stocky.

The Big 6 did not run so well so I sidelined it. It started life as a Tsunami equipt loco and it had good gears, but after the regauge it never picked up power very good and suffered from the Tsunami stutter. Tsunami decoders are very sensitive to electrical conductivity issues, causing sound interruptions and stalling over just the slightest of dirt.

The other day I decided to pull out the Big 6 to move some cars from the dump trestle to the storage track because #8 was still in the shop and #5 was up at the mines. It was absolutely impossible to run it. I was just trying to move four cars and it was stalling and slipping the wheels and I could not believe that the locomotive could not push four empty cars, after all it is just as heavy as the Climax #5. Then I noticed it, only one wheel set was slipping, the others were not turning at all....she had "the crack". "The crack" is the dreaded condition most, if not all, Bachmann On30 shays get, the line shaft gears crack causing them to slip on the line shafts.

I took #6 to the bench and pulled out a NWSL gear replacement pack and proceeded to replace the side gears. All went well, it is pretty easy to do, the only issue I had was pressing the gear on the universal end of the rear shaft. The rear shaft has a long skinny shaft section that can bend easy, I know because I bent mine. I had to just slightly ream out the gears that went on the rear shaft to be able to press them on. I only reamed them about 3/4 of the distance through so there was still some area of the gear that was gripping the splines on the shaft.

While it was on the bench I added my own electrical pickups on every wheel. I also had a Wow decoder that was going to go in the PSC shay sitting on the bench, and I decided to install it in #6. The last upgrade I did was add some lead under the frame between the frame rails.

The Big 6 was back in business and I have to say she is a very good runner now, just as powerful as Climax #5. And now that #6 is back to work I had an idea, which might include another modification to its cab/tender, one that will really make it the "Big 6".

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  07:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

Big 6 definitely has the "official Mountain State" look about her. The finish and combination of details creates a very nice "vest pocket" Leatherbark Sidewinder.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  10:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the finish on it, I was going for that recently shopped look when I did it. It still looks new but there is coal dust on the top and some grime on the running gear.

my thoughts are to build a new cab / tender for #6 that will look like #8's cab. I thought it might make it look even more chunky. Given the cold weather and the year being mid 40s I would think that some modifications would have been made for cold weather. I know that I could just add a door and back wall to the cab that is there, but the cab I made looks more like a wood cab, which I think by the 40s a steel cab would have been built.

here is what I had in mind. however, at this point I am just considering it.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/23/2014 :  10:09:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is #6 before paint.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 10/23/2014 10:11:35 AM

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: Large Scale RC Logging & Operating Sawmill Topic Next Topic: 70 ton shays  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000