Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  9:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balsa foam seems to be used for a lot of stuff these days. I'll have to check it out. Can you just try sealing it with white glue or sanding sealer?

Bill

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2014 :  11:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good start on the engine house!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  06:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoebTX

That's pretty neat!

Thanks, I got the idea from another Manns Creek modeler, Tom Maule, he is building an HO version of the MC and several of his structures are build from wood and stones of the actual prototypes, even the sand in his sand house came from the real sand house, so when I saw the tie I thought I could at least make a few small ties from some tie wood.

I have not made any more ties because I have to figure out a way to cut them, that wood is really hard and its odd shape makes it hard to run through a saw without losing a finger.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2014 :  07:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been kind of jumping around with stuff, a little tinker here, and a little tinker there, cant really get too involved with anything because of my work schedule.

while I was at Brian Bonds house we were trying to figure out why his PSC shay had such a hitch in the rear truck, we never really figured it out before I left but it had me wondering about it, so I went home and assembled some trucks on my PSC Santa Barbara Shay kit. The trucks went together pretty good, they ran smooth but they were not very free rolling. I heard about people lapping the gears with Ajax so I gave it a try.

My first attempt at lapping with Ajax did not work very well, I just sprinkled on the powder and used a little oil to make a paste, then I ran the wheels for a few minutes with a cordless drill. The lapping did not seem to do anything. I watched a Youtube video on lapping ring and pinion gears for a car rear end and it gave me an idea. I took a bottle of Labelle light oil that I was not using, it was about 1/4 full, and I added Ajax to it until it make a thick fluid of Ajax / oil mix. The lapping fluid was too thick to go through the needle on the bottle so I pulled it out and heated the end of a bigger brass tube and pushed it into the bottle cap. I connected the truck to the drill again, taped down the trigger at a medium speed, held the truck over a small cup and flooded the gears with my homemade lapping compound. I ran each truck for about 15 minutes, changing direction a few times. While it was running I would keep refreshing the lapping fluid.

Here is a video of the results
http://youtu.be/QzElJckp9fk?list=UUIVZE-UKg1sTpE4OW3pjtyw

here is the shay on the workbench. I am switching out the stack and I will be modifying the locomotive to match Manns Creek #2 shay, which will include a scratchbuilt cab.

prototype
http://www.gearedsteam.com/shay/images/manns_creek_rwy_2-sn2772.jpg

BTW, Brian discovered that his kit had a bent line shaft and a bevel gear that was out of round, somehow the previous builder managed to mess it up a bit.

vamodeler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2014 :  11:20:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit vamodeler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Nice work, the trucks look great. Finally got my trucks working. Bad pinion gears, will need to replace the ones I borrowed from the Santa Barbara shay. It's nice to finally overcome the problem.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on your shay. I'm hanging out in Salida, CO. Cool hobby shop in town, lots of narrow gauge books and stuf....

Brian

My Website: http://sites.google.com/site/deercreekandlaurelry/

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  08:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very neat, cutting scale ties from a real one. Never would have thought of that! All the weathering is done for you.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  3:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to see that I am not the only one building a shay. Mine is pretty much finished and running with the TCS WOW decoder. My kit was new and the crankshaft was bent which was easy to straighten though. My universals actually hit the brake beam and I had to grind some off the end of the brake beam to get the universals to clear. The grinding is behind the universal so you can't see it. Also I had some problems with the gear on the motor shaft not gripping the gear on the axle of the truck. One other word, be carful painting the trucks. That little hole over the shaft bearings goes all the way through. It took quit a while with MEK to try to get it so it wood roll again. Good luck on the build. Once running it is a great shay.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  3:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work so far on the shay, thanks for the tips on lapping gears, I will put that to use one day. I was thinking of getting a pair of shay trucks from PSC to see if I could adapt them to a Bachmann shay but it looks like they are run off a gear on the truck axle. Any idea if they'd run nicely through the side shaft like the B'mann model does?

Looking forward to the rest of the build, I've always wanted to try one of these kits.

-Cody

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  06:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by acousticco

Any idea if they'd run nicely through the side shaft like the B'mann model does?

Looking forward to the rest of the build, I've always wanted to try one of these kits.

-Cody

For sure they would, and better!!! What I don't like about the way the PSC shays work it that the motor drives one wheel, then that wheel (which has a "big" gear mounted on it) drives a "small" gear on the line shaft, which runs through the engine (when I say engine I mean the cylinder casting), then down to the other truck. Why is this bad, because when you use a "big" gear to drive a "small" gear you reverse the order of the reduction and there is no power to the line shaft and it takes little effort to stop the motor, so any bit of friction on the line shafts makes the engine run bad, it jerks or lopes. If you were to power the line shafts with the motor then you would be driving the wheels with the "small" gears to the "big" gears and that will give you power to overcome small amounts of friction in your drive.

The trouble with the PSC method is that you have to have the entire drive line running in near perfect, friction free, motion for it not to effect the motor. The upside of the way PSC does it is that you don't get as much of a jerky down grade run because you don't have all that slop in the drive to cause "overrun".

I have an odd situation with my Kemtron say, which uses the same drive system as the PSC shays (motor drives rear wheel). With the Kemtron and PSC shays there is no worm gear in the drive, and without the worm gear the drive is free rolling, meaning that if I push my shay with my hand the drive turns and so does the motor, which means I could tow my engine dead and the wheels would turn like a real engine. The trouble I am having is that I am hauling hopper cars loaded with real coal, which makes the hopper cars very heavy, and when I am going down my 5.25% grade with 8 loaded hoppers when they all get on the grade they tow the locomotive down grade, and since I do not have real brakes I get a real run away situation. On real railroads they would have the brakemen climb on the cars and set the brakes on the hopper cars going down grade, and as they got to the bottom they would release the brakes. They actually still do this on the Cass Scenic railroad when they go down grade. I don't have working brakes or scale brakemen to set my brakes.

One thought I had to add brakes to my train was to build heavy cabooses that have a decoder in them to operate a motor that will apply brakes to the caboose. Another idea was to make a brake system on the locomotive that will actuate when I use the F7 button (Wow decoder brake function). Another thought was to redesign the drive on the shay to use a worm on the motor to drive a gear on the axle, which might be the easiest of them all, except the worm will add a lot of reduction (which will make it run better and overcome friction in the drive) but it will run much slower.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  12:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thorough response Jeff! I think that I may have a go at these trucks for my Bachmann Shay, I read through your Bachmann Shay Project thread recently which provided much inspiration to get going on mine. Thanks again for detailing your builds so closely, it's a tremendous resource!

-Cody

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  08:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did a little speaker testing this week. I wanted to get the decoder and speaker locations worked out in this new shay before I built it any further. I was looking around for a speaker (bigger the better) that would fit when I remembered that some people are messing around with cell phone speakers. I went on Litchfield Stations website and saw they sell a line of speakers called Sugar Cubes. I purchases one each to test the sound quality. I absolutely blown away by the sound these little guys make. I am going to use the bigger one of the two, it has a tad better sound, however I would still use the other one in very small applications because it sounds great.

I did a test with my shay that has a big mega bass speaker (1.5" x 1.5" x 0.75"). Both are using TCS Wow steam version 3 decoders, both programmed the same except the master volume in the shay is turned down to layout operating levels. The Sugar Cube plays first in all sound examples.

http://youtu.be/eEuzRz52xDU

hiesler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hiesler's Homepage  Click to see hiesler's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing. I was thinking I might have to use these in a new project, so this is just the reassurance I was looking for!

Blue Ridge Mountain Railroad

http://blueridgemountainrr.jimdo.com/

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29874

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2014 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a better video of the two speakers
http://youtu.be/cfy5BuhpWZY?list=UUIVZE-UKg1sTpE4OW3pjtyw

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2014 :  12:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/29/2014 :  07:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not much going on these days, I just keep working on the family. at the moment none of these locomotives run. The Heisler is getting a new drive and cab, the chain drive did not work out for me, it was nice but too slow, I am building a gear box using helical gears. The middle shay is in the process of being put together from a PSC Santa Barbara shay kit, it will get a new cab as well and be redetailed. Good old number 8 has the rear truck removed for another change the rear gears, this time I am swapping out the bevel gears for a work gear, if that does not do what I want I will try a set of Helical gears.

spent some time on the 1949 Chevy pick up, installed the motor and gas tank (for those that are interested. Next up will be exhaust and installation of the cab and box, should be mostly all downhill now. Once the box and cab are mounted the Nova will be moved in and I will start on that....again.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000