Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  08:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you ran across an old gem tumbler in your travels, it might help make the real coal flow better. Aside from that, just admiring what you're doing.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  09:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Jeff, although I think there will be a small amount of grasses and weeds underneath the tressles. They catch daylight...

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  09:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

If you ran across an old gem tumbler in your travels, it might help make the real coal flow better. Aside from that, just admiring what you're doing.

I might, but I don't want to make the coal look too smooth. The rocks really look too smooth and for high quality photos I will not be filling the hoppers with it. If and when I take photos for any articles I will fill the hoppers with really coal, maybe even a ROM mix just for the photos. I would love to be able to use a mix that looks more like the prototype but when I tried it the results were too dusty and tended to get locked in the cars when big chunks would wedge in the doors. If I could just figure out how to animate O scale figures to climb into the cars and knock the stuck coal free then I would switch back.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

Looks good Jeff, although I think there will be a small amount of grasses and weeds underneath the tressles. They catch daylight...

I know, I am just trying to figure out how to get it in there. I am thinking of pulling of some of the x-bracing so I can get the Grassmaster nozzle in there better, it would be easier enough to just glue the boards back on.

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  09:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make youre own tufts and glue them in place..

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  2:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a video I shot of a mine run train. the video is kind of long but there are some good examples of running with a Wow decoder, which is a little hard to do and film at the same time.

http://youtu.be/xLz9L8XeYIc

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  2:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watched the video, Jeff......the WOW decoder sure changes the way you "operate" your train from a simple sound equipped locomotive.
I'm really interested in the CV's used for braking. Have to take a look at the TCS webpages for more info.

Beautiful run.....great video.

tom

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sully

I'm really interested in the CV's used for braking. Have to take a look at the TCS webpages for more info.

Beautiful run.....great video.

tom

Thanks Tom. The decoder comes programmed to use brakes from the factory, which is a big shocker if you don't know it. TCS uses the same plug as Soundtraxx so I just unplugged my Tsunami and plugged in the Wow, set I on the track, cranked up the throttle, it went down the track just fine, turned the knob down to stop.....and it just kept right on going, and going, and going. Even picking it up did not stop it, it runs for 20 seconds after power is cut.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  5:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

[ Even picking it up did not stop it, it runs for 20 seconds after power is cut.

Jeff-

I have quite a bit of momentum on my throttles. You will find that visiting operators will get into the habit of twisting the potentiometers like they are trying to wring them off.

Mark

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  7:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very well executed Jeff. Really nice. Thanks for queuing me in to the video.
Can't wait to get things running on my layout and this was real encouragement.
Thanks.

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
Great video, your equipment is top notch.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  7:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole operation is just a site to behold. Congratulations on getting it all working. I'm totally ready to go back and work on the RR after seeing your last two videos.

Bill

JoebTX
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  10:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoebTX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, Where did you put the speakers and the decoder in #8?
And what are you using for the flame flicker, it is the best I have seen?

Joe Batson MMR#475
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37549

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  12:25:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neat video!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  07:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoebTX

Jeff, Where did you put the speakers and the decoder in #8?
And what are you using for the flame flicker, it is the best I have seen?

go back to page 16 of this post, there is a photo of the speakers. Basically there is a large speaker in a speaker box I built from styrene that is sitting in the fire box. There is also a 3/4" diameter speaker in the smoke stack.

The fire box flicker is just a 12V orange built sitting in the bottom of the fire box and the function lead is just programmed to be firebox flicker.

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000