Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  07:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Still waiting. The hill looks kind of big but I'm guessing it's something different that we're waiting on.

I know the hill looks big now, but once the backdrop blends it in I think it will just look like a rocky point that the railroad had to go around. The backdrop mountain will be just as tall. I am no artist, but this is how I think it will work.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 12/06/2013 07:33:36 AM

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  3:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aha! A backdrop it is then? From Joey maybe?

I know how dissatisfied you were with your painting attempts. Hope this makes it better. I look forward to seeing it unfold (unroll?).

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  6:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good guess, it is a Joey Richard backdrop, it is awesome and he worked very hard to make sure it was exactly what I wanted, thanks so much Joey!!!

I only got one piece up so far, here is a seek peak, more to come soon (I ran out of spray glue).

before

after

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  6:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one more for good measure

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backdrop looks fantastic as do the Esso cans on the front of the bottom Shay.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  7:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! That backdrop does add to your excellent modeling!

--Stu--
It's a great day whenever steam heads out into the timber!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  12:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I really like the backdrop. Eventhough I did get better at painting I never got good enough that I was not bothered with how it looked in photos. It would have taken me a lifetime of painting to get to the point that I thought it even looked halfway real. The other problem is that this are of the layout always will have the back drop visible in photos because the scenery falls away from the track. I am more than happy with this backdrop.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  08:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What a massive difference! This finally does justice to your top-notch foreground modeling. Don't be so hard on yourself over backdrop painting. It's a lot difficult than most people think. Quite frankly very difficult to compose a hand-painted backdrop that's fairly realistic. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a very realistic backdrop that's been hand-painted, two of them on this forum: Troel's Coast Line and Tim Kerkhoff's Overland Green Basin RR.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

on2rails
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  09:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit on2rails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, it looks AWESOME and it absolutely does compliment your advanced modeling skills. I can't wait to see all the scenery come together and blend. I hope you can get some shots of the creek bank with a low photo angle. Simply awesome and it is my pleasure to be a small part of it! Joey Ricard

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  11:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being new to this thread, I went back to page 1 last night and began to read. I was very surprised to learn that this layout is in a new scale for you, with far different objectives than your old one. By the way, that backdrop looks better and better every time I see one of your photos.
So, would you say that the new layout now meets your objectives and your needs? Your modeling is simply beautiful! I ask the question because I am procrastinating on a decision to scale back myself ...

--Stu--

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  2:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grlakeslogger

So, would you say that the new layout now meets your objectives and your needs? Your modeling is simply beautiful! I ask the question because I am procrastinating on a decision to scale back myself ...

It is funny you should as that question, at this very moment I am working on an article that will be published in the 2015 MRP, if I can make the deadline, and it is on this very subject. I won't go into great detail on this, not because I want you to buy the issue and read the article but because I just had surgery on my hand and I can't type lone. But basically the anyswer is "more than I thought", but that is because my own personal desires and not because I think everyone should do as I did to be happy. After building and completing a layout that supported max train operations in my small room I was not as interested in hosting operating sessions as much as I enjoyed attending them. In other words, I like operating model railroads, I just didn't what to have to host one (getting layout ready, inviting people, etc). I wanted layout that support a very simple operating session for one or two people that was very easy to set up, so if I wanted to have a guest over we could turn on the lights and run trains for few hours. I also found that I really enjoy building models still, and if I want to spend a year on one project without having to worry about getting the layout ready for the next session i could. And, since I was scaling back the scope it freed up money to endulge in everything I do. On a large layout I would never have considered scratchbuilding my entire fleet of rolling stock, pay for a photo backdrop, etc. What I like now is that I only have a small amount of stuff, but it is pretty much the best it can be.

For me scaling back has been awesome. I can't say for you.

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  12:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for a very thoughtful answer to my question. Every facet of "scaling back" which you have mentioned here has entered my mind. Like you, I seem to like to get wrapped up in one project, be it structure or rolling stock.
I have also been a way from the hobby for about four years, and my wants/needs have changed.

--Stu--

grlakeslogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  12:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery from that hand surgery.

--Stu--

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  07:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The backdrop turned out well; that situation is about the toughest possible for painting.

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2013 :  07:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Off the topic but curious about the hand surgery you mentioned. What did you have done? I only ask because I had surgery on my right hand a little over one year ago. Dupetryns contracture. Over the years my right finger had bent straight down and was getting in the way.
Just wondering if you had similar work done.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000