Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  11:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is about time, 16 hoppers finished and all the bugs worked out. That sure took a lot longer than I was hoping.

next up to bat is to finish my first buck Jimmy. I also started to gather all the materials I need to do a hopper car build post. After that I will push the mainline to the big mine and get working on getting my mine to load the hopper cars.

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  12:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very impressive array of cars, Jeff. A long time but a great result.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  9:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

The overall consistency of finish on your hopper fleet is impressive. All different, but within a narrow range.

The little unloading shed is going to be a busy place,

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  09:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as we all like building an assortment of cars, a string of "all the same" looks really good!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite a fleet of hoppers to be proud of no matter how long it took.

Bryan

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  5:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, that string of hoppers looks terrific, and the buck jimmy is coming together nicely. I know what you mean about wait for parts. Modeling in HOn3 can project an annoying amount of that as well.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2013 :  7:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great string of cars they really look home brewed over a period of time in the life of a low budget RR. You should be proud of them.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 02/23/2013 :  01:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very well done!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  08:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks all.

Here is the progress on the Buck Jimmy. I still have to add the brake wheel and do some final touch up on the finish...AND at the pedestal journals, which I am still waiting for. Good thing it takes so long to scratch build the bodies of the rolling stock to kill the time it takes to wait for parts. Maybe if I am lucky they show up now that I am almost done.

Enough ranting, while working on the car I noticed some errors in the drawing in the Manns Creek book. If you compare the photo of the wrecked cars to the drawing of the car on the previous page you will notice that the foot boards do not span the entire width of the car like the drawing shows (sorry if you don't have the book). if the foot boards only go halfway across the end of the car it puts the foot board support on the middle vertical frame member, which is where the drawing shows the door operating gear is, which won't work. In the same photo of the wrecked Buck Jimmys you can see that there are two chains that pass through holes in the main frame members, those chains are attached to the bottom of the doors, pass through the main frame members and go under the center sloped floor to a rod that runs the length of the car. the drawing in the book shows this rod to be high above the floor but I believe the rod is down low and the chains are almost horizontal. If the horizontal door rod was above the floor the chains would have to be above the floor and would be pinned to the floor once the coal was loaded and the doors would never open. Since there are no photos that prove any of this I went with my guy feeling and made my door rod and gear low.

To make the door operating gear I just shaved off a Grandt Line brake ratchet gear and used some styrene to make what looks like a worm and gear using the big gear from the Grandt Line part.

the arkansas traveler
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  9:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
You have done a remarkable job on this layout. I have followed your threads and the fact that you have the hopper actually dumping coal is impressive. I like the Buck Jimmie cars too.
Thanks for sharing your techniques and layout.
BILL

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2013 :  11:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

i

In the left side of the photo- that looks about a 11,000% grade climb.. must be a little bit hard on the engines, eh?

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is funny that you mention the lift, looking that photo I have been bugged by that lift bridge. I am thinking since I have not finished painting the backdrop maybe I should change that end of the layout to have the backdrop curve in that corner and meet the front edge of the layout, then the track will pass through the backdrop and I can use a road bridge to hide it. what keeps me from changing it is that I hope to someday add on to the layout on this end when I move and it will be easier if I leave it as is.

I just bought some plywood to make some more roadbed, just working out the final details of the track layout at the mine.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  08:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got my journals from Boulder Valley models and guess what, they are way too small! BVM's Buck Jimmies must be scaled down a bit because they look good under theirs, I built mine according to the drawing in the MC book and the car is actually bigger than I thought. Anyways, I scratch built some journals from styrene to work out the design, once I am happy I will make a good master and cast my own for the future cars. here is a photo of the car with my journals on it, they are not finished, I have them a little too high and I have to get the bearings in them, then I will add the truss rods under it.

I also made layout progress last night. I decided to just sit down and figure out how to use Templote myself. The program is not that easy for Americans to learn because it used terminology that we don't to describe parts of the turnout or actions to perform to modify the turnouts and track. Also the tutorials are visual and there is not audio, so you have to watch carefully and figure out what they are clicking on and what it is changing on the templates. They use terms like "snake", "slew", "V-angle", "K-angle", etc. I got it though, and in the end I feel it was worth the effort, especially if you handle track, this program will give you very good custom templates and it won't let you cheat so your track will run well.

After I finished my track plan in Templote I exported it as a DFX file and opened it in AutoCAD, then I outlined the track where I wanted the roadbed to be. After I got the roadbed all drawn up I laid out all the roadbed pieces so they fit on one sheet of 3/4" plywood with little waste. My plotter will only print ANSI-D sized prints, which is 34" x 22" so I divided up my 4' x 8' plywood into 34" x 22" sheets and plotted them out full size.

here is the plan in Templot.

here is how I laid out the sheet of plywood. The phantom line represents the sheet of plywood, the rectangels are the sheets of paper I had to plot out to make a template at least 4' x 8'

Once I got the plots done I set up the sheet of plywood in my cold Minnesota garage, with 12" of fresh fallen snow outside I must add, fired up my propane heater an taped all the sheets of paper together to form a full 4' x 8' paper pattern.

with the paper pattern all taped together I lifted it off the plywood and laid out sheets of carbon paper, carbon side down of course, and replaced the paper template, which I taped in place so it would not move. then I took a dull pointed pencil and traced the roadbed, marked the holes for the switch machine motors and drew dashed lines for the track center lines. It took a while to get that all set up and the lines all traced, and my heater ran out of propane, AND my wife decided to come home at that time and opened the garage door which let out the little heat I had made so I used a pretty aggressive saw blade in my jig saw to get the roadbed cut out fast, which kind of chipped up the cut edge a bit, but hey, this is roadbed and it does not have to be pretty, it will be covered with scenery someday anyways.

here is the roadbed all cut out and hauled into the train room for it to dry out a bit.

Edited by - Coaltrain on 03/06/2013 1:37:21 PM

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  10:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, boy you are right about the relative "bigness" of the MC buck jimmies. I've built several of the larger MC hoppers (from kits) and always viewed them as "way to big" for On30....I've also got several of the BVM buck jimmies built up and they are indeed much smaller than the car you've built.
Seeing the two of the them side by side in the photo shows just how big the MC jimmie was....the capacity of the car was pretty good compared to the later 2 truck cars.

BTW the cars (and the layout) look great......you're really bringing this fairly obscure 3' WV coal hauler "to life" with your modeling.....looking forward to your future projects....

tom

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  1:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I've been following along on this and think your hoppers are beautiful.

I've opened Templot a couple times, but I can't seem to get out of the starting blocks. I guess I need to make more of an effort, seeing what you and a couple others on the RR-Line have accomplished with it.

Stay warm.
George

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000