Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive, Jeff...your original dumping mechanism was ingenious, and you've made it more reliable. It must really be a kick to actually unload a train!

PS - cool shots of your Nova, very nice.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait for the next update!

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  11:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This thread has been too quiet.

Arthur

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for the lack of posting, just got the hot rod put away for winter and I had some family stuff i had to do. I am getting back in the layout room starting this week.

I have been picking away at building some hopper cars I am almost done with another batch, I am just waiting for some NBW castings to arrive, I will post pictures of the new cars soon.

I tore the car all apart and repainted it and it was a lot more work than i thought, plus the hot summer we had made it take longer. here is where i left the car for those that are interested, should be done in the spring

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking car, Jeff. I'm sure you're anxious to get the engine back in there.

George

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  08:19:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am anxious, but for now I am glad to be back to the railroad and now to un-hijack my own thread, here are some photos of the railroad.

As I said, with the car project in full swing all summer I did very little work on the layout, but I did do some work. I am in the process of building 11 hopper cars to add to my existing fleet of 5. I have used the first five as a rolling test bed and now I have worked the bugs out and applied those changes to the new 11 hoppers. while building the 11 hopper cars I have improved my construction methods to help build the cars faster while maintaining the quality level. I have also changed the trucks to the new (newer by now) SJC trucks. The trucks are a little bigger and longer (correct for the prototype) but by the time I got the new trucks the 11 hopper car bodies and frames were built. I have had to slightly modify the bolsters and the center frame section, but both modifications make for a much better looking and operating hopper car.

I have 6 of the 11 new cars built but ran out of NBW castings while building the last 3 so I am waiting for my local hobby shop to see if they can get them. I will give it another week or so and if they can't I will have to order them. I will no longer order direct from Grandt Line considering the very bad customer service I get from them and the long delay of on my orders. I have had good luck ordering from Caboose Hobbies.

so here are the 6 new cars, the ones with the white styrene parts are waiting for the NBW castings. I also tried using my Iphone to take the photos to see how it worked, I have the photobucket app and if the phone works out it makes it much easier to take photos and upload them using my phone.

here is a photo that shows the ramp I made for trucks to unload into the dump bin. I still have to add roofing to the shed, handrails to the bridge and the unloading trestle and lots more weathering, I would think that many years of dumping coal from hoppers and trucks would make this area pretty dusty with black coal dust. I want to be careful not to make the area so black it looks void of detail.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  08:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess in a pinch the Iphone works ok but I think I get better control over my digital SLR camera. I do know for sure I get better depth of field. Typically I shoot with a tripod and use the smallest aperture possible with no flash, doing so causes some of my shuttr speeds to be seconds long, but that is what it takes to get nice sharp photos. So for the future I will go back to my DSLR.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  08:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

You painted your Nova in your garage? You should have your own show on the Speed Channel!

The hoppers look good in a big group around that death trap of a tipple. Operating this section of the layout will be a lot of fun.

Mark Chase
Richmond VA

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  10:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did paint the car in my garage.

I won't post photos anymore at risk of taking away from this being a post on my layout so here are links to the process for those interested.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/0e93c58d56c29f299468242526780944.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/c8f532e3dcd5282b32c3a0233cecd05e.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/9ec34691a994c09098bc26d79d3bd466.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/bce9539098904960925ead5307657d55.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/photo4.jpg

my favorite clear coat gun, expensive but works great
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/700e1696d13e652042412fedbd0f38e6.jpg

my basecoat gun, also really nice
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/70NovaSS/cffda8cf8ff4a4e6afada08aa1f3a9d0.jpg

I am working on getting a real paint booth set up in a rented space, I have a couple more cars to paint and a couple motorcycles.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  10:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an email from Ted Schnepf about a new book called West Virginia RR's #5, geared logging locomotives from TLC. He says there is one Manns Creek photo, might still be worth it if it is in color. When I got the Trackside book there was one critical photo I needed of the front of #8, and in the background was a hopper car and is the only color photo I have seen of an MC hopper car. Going off that photo and the photo of my hopper cars in the loading shed I would say I have guessed pretty close to getting the colors correct.

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  6:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thanks for the update..always keen for more, especially pics. That Nova is a beaut!

Arthur

Martin Welberg
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  7:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Martin Welberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, both the layout part as the paintjob on the Nova ! Difficult color to spraypaint it is black, did you polish it after the paintjob ?

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  07:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milocomarty

did you polish it after the paintjob ?

I did, many hours of sanding and buffing, black is a killer, my back still hurts.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  07:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An unexpected house repair has kept me from pushing the layout any farther, but I continue to pick away at building coal hoppers, now up to 13 finished with 3 more bodies left to be detailed. I have enough parts to build one more hopper and I am considering a build post from start to finish, not only to share how I built the cars but also to create a record for me if I build more cars years down the road. Having 17 operating hoppers will be enough for a while, throw in the 6 Bachmann steel hoppers that operate and I have a good amount to start operating.

With the lack of layout construction I also have not been running trains at all. I decided to make a few laps to make sure everything was still working, all went well until I tried to dump some coal, and none of the hopper car doors would open on all the cars. I cleaned the contacts and got a few cars to work. After some fiddling I figured out that the pins I was using to connect the truck pickup bar to the motor was not making good contact, once I wiggled them around a bit everything started working fine. A couple days later I went to test the hopper cars again, same thing, the doors would not work. What I figure is happening is the brass is oxidizing on the pins and in the holes and there is not enough current to pass through. I decided to add a variable power supply to the hopper dump panel so I can do some test. If it happens that a hopper car won't respond to dumping I am going increase the power to see if it makes a difference. I also converted a few cars to have screw connected contacts and eliminated the pins just in case the power thing does not pan out. Now I am going to let those cars sit as I build the next three and test them in a few weeks to see what happens.

If it turns out it is a current issue I am going to add resistors between the truck contacts and the door motors so I can apply more current to the trucks and then drop it down so the motor still runs slow. If it turns out it was just those pins then problem solved.

Here are my 13 hopper cars, it was fun to see all 13 being pulled by my Shay and Climax. It is starting to look like the Slater Creek Railway now hauls coal.

When I installed the new power supply I rebuilt the control panel with some better buttons, the ones I were using were too fragile and I was having trouble with them. Those of you that play guitar might notice that those buttons are momentary foot switch buttons, I figured if they are strong enough to stomp on for 30 years they will be strong enough for what I need.

quarryman
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2012 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit quarryman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff-

I admire your tenacity regarding the working hopper cars. There might be some coating (graphite maybe?) that will help keep the contacts clean over time.

The long train at the tipple is very impressive. Will the rest of the layout be able to manage long trains like that? Would a number of mine runs be combined into a "down train" to the tipple?

Mark

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000