Railroad Line Forums - Slater Creek Railway
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Slater Creek Railway
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept
Page: of 66

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  10:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, kinda late replying...so I'll just add "really slick"! tom

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  12:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's super cool!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  09:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone. I just ordered some small motors to test for my car shaker. my hope now is to build a shaker that can sit up in the roof of the unloading shed and be lowered down using a Tortoise switch machine. I would like to use the contacts that would power the frog of a turnout to control the power to the car shake, so whent the shaker is in the lowered position the shaker turns on, when rased the shaker is off.

As far as I know the MC did not have a car shaker, I am sure for them they either did not care if there was coal still in the car, or they beat on the car until it came lose, or they just climbed into the car and used a shovel to free the coal. I want to add a shaker to make sure all the coal is free from the door areas before the doors are closed.

MinerFortyNiner
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  12:29:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit MinerFortyNiner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff, I really like how the layout is progressing. Your lift bridge is a revelation, my next bridge will be built like yours. thanks for the tip!

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  06:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have still been fine tuning my trestle and hopper cars. I had to remove all the bracing on the west side of the unloading trestle because once I got everything set I noticed that I must have glued the trestle footings in a little too high, so removed all the bracing and cut the bottom of the bents off so I could get everthing level. I started to add them back in and I will finish once I get everthing working the way I want.

I am going to build an apron on top of the unloading bin to catch some of the coal that spills off the sides of the bin, I don't know if the prototype had one but I need one.

I also purchases several small motors to test for my car shaker, so far none of them work very good. These motors are from pagers and cell phones and the vibration they make is too tight, it need something that will wobble. I am going to try to add a bigger weight to one of the motors and offset the weight more so it will shake the car. After dumping several cars now I noticed that sometimes coal will sit on top of the door and block the door from closing. I think if I put a bevel on top of the door the coal will not be able to sit there, maybe the shaker will help that as well.

I also got my control panel in for opening the doors of cars without DCC. I trid my first test car and it seems to work good, however I did have one time where it did not make contact and I had to back the car up and pull it forward again. I will try to polish the contacts with some No-ox, it worked wonders for my shay.

I am going to focus now on getting the car shaker working and I am going to build the shed over the bin so I can make sure it all works as planned, and if all goes well I should be able to remove the trestle for the last time and do the scenery around this area.

I got off on a little tangent last weekend and I played around with a Bachmann On30 hopper car that I converted to On3. Study the photo below and see if you can spot what I did to it.

If you can't figure out what i did watch this video, the Bachmann hopper car is the last car in this short train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8VrJZsDzE

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  07:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is very cool Jeff. The Shay is working nicely too.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  08:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even "slicker" Jeff! Now you can model the EBT too! How about loading coal into those bachmann hoppers like they did in Robertsdale!

Again....great and "creative" modeling....tom

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
That is great now how did you do it?

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  09:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sullivan

How about loading coal into those bachmann hoppers like they did in Robertsdale!

how did they do that, I may be interested?

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  11:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check this out.....tom

http://www.spikesys.com/Bin/EBT/rcs_54.jpg

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  11:59:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff.....the mine mouth was a slope entry off to the far left. I believe they moved loaded cars to the tipple house by cable. Then the empties were pushed out to the far right and returned on a separate track. It would make a great model and automating it would be outstanding.
I believe there is a detailed plan for the structure published recently, but I'll have to check.
You can contact the Friends of the EBT for details. I know there are 8x10's available of the tipple.....there are great photos in the EBT books.
tom

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sullivan

Jeff.....the mine mouth was a slope entry off to the far left. I believe they moved loaded cars to the tipple house by cable. Then the empties were pushed out to the far right and returned on a separate track. It would make a great model and automating it would be outstanding.

That would be an interesting project, I will have to think of how that would work. I would have to hook up a cable to the hopper cars to get them to index ahead as they are loaded.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  1:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, if would take the better part of a shift to load 4-5 hoppers using small tipple cars. One way to do it is to grade the loading track and use a small motor driving a needle that would engage the hopper to be loaded, then pull up by cable 10 mine cars (fixed) slowly through the tipple house. ( I would keep them empty unless you are a glutton for punishment) The tipple house could be a hidden coal "hopper" that would load maybe 3 cars...or 2. After loading lower the needle "gate" and they roll free of the tipple.
As you said....It would be interesting.......

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  1:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heck Jeff...what am I thinking! Just model the big tipple at Clifftop....you could design a gate opening mech. easily and the tipple itself was big enough to hold a lot of coal....
And it's Mann's Creek.......tom

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  5:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never seen a photo of the Cliftop tipple, do you have a photo of it?

Page: of 66 Previous Topic: Louís Logging Railroad Car Barn Topic Next Topic: 55n3 Reboot - Proof of Concept  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000