Railroad Line Forums - Serviss Wye
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 229 ]  [ Total: 230 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Fallen Flag Railroad Forums
 Raritan River Railroad Forum
 Serviss Wye
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: RIP John C. Nemeth - former conductor Topic Next Topic: Milltown Station - Call to Action!  

Waynesbea
New Hire

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  7:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All

I have a question about what was across the tracks at the old Serviss wye. Looking at historicaerials.com. It looks like some kind of orchard or tree farm. It was off of Milltown Rd. and Hearts Ln.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

DarrenAMiller
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  10:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne -

That was likely the Smith farm. It was still in existence when I was a kid. All that land was later developed.

In fact, my Aunt Grace was a Smith... married name Auer. In fact, her home was further down the road... near Cranbury Road. There is an office part there now... aptly named Auer Court.

Also see... http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2004-07-22/Front_page/027.html

- Darren

snarlman
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  2:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Send snarlman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Darren,
Very nice article and dedication to your aunt Grace. I really love learning about the history and connections in our towns.

~Jeff

DarrenAMiller
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  2:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Jeff -

Hope your leg is all healed. It's been a while.

Here's a little more history and connections for you.

You may have noted in the aritcle about my Aunt Grace that she and her sister, Edna, married two brothers (Auer).
Edna's husband, my Uncle Joe Auer, owned the seed store next to (then) Jensen's and diagonally across the street
from the current Rescue Squad building. He was also mayor of Milltown at one time, but I forget the years.

- Darren

painterman
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2010 :  9:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenAMiller

Wayne -

That was likely the Smith farm. It was still in existence when I was a kid. All that land was later developed.

In fact, my Aunt Grace was a Smith... married name Auer. In fact, her home was further down the road... near Cranbury Road. There is an office part there now... aptly named Auer Court.

Also see... http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2004-07-22/Front_page/027.html

- Darren

Darren's Aunt Grace Auer was my kindergarten teacher at McInnis School in town. I believe '74-'75.

DarrenAMiller
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  11:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow... another amazing connection.

Hey... we're practically related!

;-)

Previous Topic: RIP John C. Nemeth - former conductor Topic Next Topic: Milltown Station - Call to Action!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000