Railroad Line Forums - Westport River Lumber Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 62 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Westport River Lumber Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: new kit in the mail today Topic Next Topic: The Oak Grove RR, an evolving layout. A new start!
Page: of 70

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2015 :  11:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on that planer. That was one of Western scale Models best and you did it perfect.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2015 :  6:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the comments.

Roland

Dwight Ennis
Section Hand

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  5:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dwight Ennis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading through this entire thread Roland. My sincere admiration and appreciation to you on your outstanding modeling!! Your creations inspire the rest of us. Can't say enough about how terrific everything looks!!

If circumstances were different, I too would be modeling in On30, as I've loved narrow gauge since the early 80's.

At any rate, I just wanted to chime in here with my compliments. I do have one question though... what happened with the sawmill? I understand how one can get burned out when working on one thing for a while. I do hope to see more of it here in the future.

Again, my congratulations on some fantastic modeling!!

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2015 :  6:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dwight, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. In answer to your question I am working on the machine shop with next years narrow gauge convention coming up. I will get back to the sawmill when I am finished. I really enjoy modeling and have never gotten burned out. Usually finish whatever I start.

Roland

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  2:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again. Made a bit of progress with the steam engine This is as far as I can go until I build the line shaft. I also have a few details I will add later.

Geezer was in the outhouse when this picture was taken, he'll be back.

Roland

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  2:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland just excellent work.

Two questions who's steam engine are you using?

And did you cast the base yourself? If so that is a real beauty.

Keep up the fine work.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  9:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I really like the "concrete" base.

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2015 :  11:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You've got me fired up to actually finish my machine shop so I have been doing some research to see if I can find a floor plan for machine placement that makes logical sense. I found a killer site that has some old etchings of machine shops that I found to be very informative. Have a look. Russ

http://www.machineryscans.com/plant.htm

lenelg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  04:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenelg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I grew up in the 1950īs, my grandfather owned a machine shop set up like this, with all machines beltdriven from an overhead lineshaft. The steam engine had been replaced by an ancient electric motor which put the lineshaft in motion whenever he needed to use a machine. His shop floor was nowhere near as pristine as yours, however. The wood floor was darkened by decades of accumulated grease, cutting oils and metal filings.

Lennart Elg - the Sloat Lumber Man

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  09:29:36 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Roland. The shop looks more busy now. Who is that standing in for Geezer?

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Roland, excellant job on the engine.

Mark

W,L,&E

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I'm taking it one step at a time while I can still get my fingers in there.

Jerry, The engine is a kit from Crow River. The base came with the kit. I sprayed it gray then hydrolic cement was sprinkled on while the paint was still wet to get the color and texture of concret. Then I went over it with chalks. You have no reason to remember it but you were with me when I got the kit at the Lancaster train show.

Russ, Thanks for the site. Every bit of information helps.

Lennart, I have been working off the model trying to get grease and oil stains to look natural, but nothing I am happy with yet. My layout is set around 1920 so I'm not sure how messy it should be.

Arthur, The figure doesn't have a name yet, If any one wants to claim to look like him let me know.

Roland

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/01/2015 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right Roland I don't remember you buying the steam engine.

But I do remember the great time we had together at the show and at your home taking pictures of the RR.

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 12/01/2015 10:36:00 PM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2015 :  01:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice work on the steam engine, Roland. I have had this kit somewhere in my drawers for years without assembling it. Your display shows its great possibilities.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  5:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope I'm not overloading you with photos. Anyway I found this setup in a photo of a shingle mill and liked the way it looked. Nothing but the supports for the loft is glued in yet. I have a ton of detail ideas and will get to them next.

Be back when I finish Roland

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: new kit in the mail today Topic Next Topic: The Oak Grove RR, an evolving layout. A new start!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.51 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000