Railroad Line Forums - Westport River Lumber Co
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: le belge ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Westport River Lumber Co
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: Vindication For A Sound Idea
Page: of 69

shayman
Section Hand

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  12:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland,
Love the layout. I think I caught a glimpse of a sawmill somewhere. I'm looking for a small backwoods-est sawmill for my layout. Could you post some pics of yours or some dimensions. If you like I'm always open for email.

Keep up the great work!!!!!

Mike Reuter

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  6:19:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, It's been a while but I have managed to get something done. I have "planted" the engine house, watertank and blacksmith shop. I have named each area of the layout after one of our dogs. This area is called Sarah's Point.

At this point there is no sawmill, only a mockup. I'm trying to justify the cost of a SW sawmill kit, but can't do it.

Roland

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  6:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland,
Fantastic!

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  9:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks so real.....
Great inovation and craftsmanship Roland!

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  10:09:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh Roland,
I don't know how I missed this thread until now. I just finished reading through all five pages. What a fantastic layout you have going there. I'm not at all surprised as I've seen the work you do with your structures. You have both the talent and an eye for color and detail. I fully expect to see this layout featured in one of the modeling magazines.

You mentioned you could not justify the cost of a sawmill kit. With your talents who needs to buy any kit, simply scratch build one.

Keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming.

Michael

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 09/10/2010 :  11:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland, you can buy the saw mill machinary from SW and Brett is offering a plan packet where you supply the wood and he supplies the plans and details and hardware.

That would be a cheaper way to go, or just the machinary and you design the building.

Mark

W,L,&E

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  12:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Such superb work Roland! Happy to see this thread back in action and to see that fabulous EH find a home.

Arthur

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

kirk
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  01:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply beautiful!

Troels Kirk
Näsum, Sweden

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  02:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Roland,
The engine house looks great at the end there, a certain focal point upon entry to the room. Given the quality of your recent builds, I don't doubt you would manage a scratchbuild of the sawmill just fine. The set of sawmill machinery (ex-CHB gear) from Brett would be a very worth while addition though. Depending on the size of the mill as well, you may not need all the different items to complete the model.

Do you have any copies of the Finescale Annuals? There was a chapter on the mill that Marty (Labdad) built, and is the basis for the Sierra West future kit. The chapter had plenty of photos and drawings that would help in building a similar version.

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  04:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

well done, very photogenic

Locoman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  08:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland, very, very nice. The scenes are nicely busy and realistic.

Sully
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sully's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roland...just catching up on your beautiful railway....(I sent you a PM)....tom

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  10:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!
What a great job you're doing on your layout.
Thanks for the pictures and it should be in a magazine so more could see it.

As you think, so will you be.

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 09/11/2010 :  8:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the comments. I am always amazed that a little dirt can change everything. As I mentioned sections of the layout are named after our dogs (past and present}. The other night while looking through an old book called "Ghost Towns of the West" I came across a town called Barkerville. The name seemed to fit, and a search on the computer turned up 155 pages of photos. As space is quite limited, I trying to figure out how to model it. Need to get it in my head, then I'll start..

Roland

Oh_Mr_Porter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  09:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roland, I have to agree with Dan, with your modelling skills a scratchbuilt sawmill filled with SWM equipment should present you few problems. And you can design it to fit exactly in the space you have available.

Great modelling all round

Ian

"The next train's gone"

Page: of 69 Previous Topic: 2017 small layout meet Topic Next Topic: Vindication For A Sound Idea  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000