Railroad Line Forums - Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 92 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lineside Models ?? Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout
Page: of 7

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  3:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark welcome to the small scale forum.
L&N nut
Jon

trainiac77
New Hire

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit trainiac77's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kato, Atlas, Athearn, Intermountian.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  3:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All good choices Paul, welcome to RR-Line!

Mike

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  5:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the small scale forum Paul.
L&N nut
Jon

Arizona Dave
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/27/2014 :  5:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arizona Dave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me it's a three way tie with Kato, Atlas and Athearn. I like all of them for different reasons. If the Bachmann 10-wheeler had a normal sized tender, they would have rated higher on my list too.

Dave

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible"
- Walt Disney

http://thundermesaminingco.blogspot.com

BessemerBob
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  10:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to say my first pick is Atlas. Quality seems to be there, and the amount of options and new models or re-runs is good to see.
FVM in my book has equaled Kato in quality, I think detail is better then Kato as well.
Cant believe I am saying it but Kato is now #3 in my book. Basically the quality is still tops. They run great right out of the box. Some of the detail work has been passed up by atlas and FVM, and the lack of 4 axle units and really nothing new to the line up in a while has passed Kato down to a solid # 3

"the sleep of a laboring man is sweet"

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2014 :  5:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Kato and FVM both are 6-axle heavy and those are great for someone doing modern day mainline, but for those of us doing 60's shortline and branchlines neither have much to offer.

Mike

gp30emd2
New Hire

Posted - 04/09/2016 :  10:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Kato mainly for their locomotives! You missed som key manufactures( my opinion), For rolling stock I prefer Fox valley or Train works or wheels of time for two reasons quality and body mounted couplers! Athearn is coming along!

George

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  02:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the small scale forum George. Its hard to find locomotives for my eclectic branch Line L&N steam era in N scale. All most all my locomotives are stand ins. I am not a talented scratch builder so I have found no solution yet.
L&N Jon

KomodoTurkey
New Hire

Posted - 08/30/2016 :  12:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a few things. I love the RDC I have from Kato, fun little thing. I have a heavy weight custom decalled all black Rapido passenger car, and some Athearn and MT N rolling stock. The Athearn stuff is superb in quality. The MT coalers that I have are nice, roll great and have some serious heft to them. The Rapido used to light up on the inside, gotta buy a new battery, and I decaled it for a non-existant all black UP Express Service executives car. The RDC has withstood the test of time and abuse, tossed in boxes, dropped and general abuse of a young boy. It will deffinetly get a spot on the Black Hollow project. I had a DD40AX from Walthers, thing was loud, but cool. The Walthers Mikado I have, NKP, needs a front plate and drawbar from tender to loco due to a younger cousin pulling it off a shelf and dropping it. It will also be on the Black Hollow project as an excursion loco pulling the Rapido. Atlas track is good for semi-realistic track, Kato is an amazing starter track.

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone weigh in on the reliability of Micro-Trains motive power?

i'm thinking of http://discount-train.com/micro-trains/4001-micro-train-98600031-bn-sw1500-diesel.html SW1500 as a fairly short wheelbase power unit. aside from reliability, could i get it around an 8 1/2" radius curve? i am still in the air for track. code is not too much of a hurdle (80 or more would be more derailment free - i assume), but i would like switches and a crossing of less than 90 degrees.

all of the above is up for reconsideration except for radius. thanks.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  07:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any experience with the MT SW1500 but my Proto 1500 will take a 5.5" radius so I would think the MT should take a 8.5" with no problem.

Mike

loboloco10135
New Hire

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see some reliable, good running steam locomotives in N scale. I enjoy the steam era and would love to see some reliable N scale UP small steamers. Keep reading spookshow's N Scale encyclopedia website for reviews on N scale steamers, that's been a really good resource. I'd 'kit-bash' one of those old, ugly B'mann 0-6-0s into a switching steamer, but I'm still too chicken to take a saw to it.

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  8:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is anyone currently marketing an 0-4-0 diesel?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  06:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model Power (really) Kato and some others make good running smaller steamers but they all have traction tires (as do the bigger steamers) which fouls the track. I love N scale but if I was a steam fan I would switch to HO. Smallest diesel I'm aware of is a 6 wheel Plymouth.

Mike

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Lineside Models ?? Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000