Railroad Line Forums - Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Favorite N Scale Locomotive Mfg.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lineside Models ?? Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout
Page: of 7

Cowcatcher
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  11:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cowcatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Raiload-Line folks.

toddsyr
New Hire

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  2:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Atlas/Kato all the way for me. But yeah, I have the Life-Like SW yard switcher in EL. Both road numbers actually. Nobody else makes them so I had no choice. They look great, they just don't start as slow as an Atlas/Kato or pull as well in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I think the Kato's actually pull just a bit better than Atlas locos. My 2 cents. Todd

RS-27
New Hire

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  04:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, year and a half since the last post. Time to unstickey?

Bob in IDaho, who's vote is: whoever makes what I need.

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  9:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Atlas as I think they have a good product for the price.
Don Brimmer

Don Brimmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  9:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Atlas as I feel they have a good product for the price.
Don Brimmer

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  9:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Don.

Mike

rmcroadster
New Hire

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  03:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised that there are twelve people out there who like Bachmann! I do not think there is anything worse! Not to mention that I own one, and am sorry and dissapointed that I paid money for it.

For Running:- From my experience working in a shop that sells model rail, and we test each loco before it is sold, (plus my own experience on my own layout) Kato is the Rolls Royce of N scale, followed closely by atlas and life like. Value for money goes to Life Like, runs very well considering the price. Bachmann in HO and N is crap, and in a few cases will not run straight out of the box.

For Detail:- Kato, Life Like and Atlas as good as eack other.

Matthew

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  06:40:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Matthew I only have one Kato and to be honest it doesn't run very well. I agree with you on the Atlas and my Life-Like SW's are excellent as well. The Bachmann Spectrum line seems to be O.K. but their regular isn't worth much IMHO. The newest Model Power is a vast improvement over the old stuff. Awhile back I got one of their new F-7's. Has a diecast body, flywheels, low gearing, great paint and details.

Mike

rmcroadster
New Hire

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  06:56:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Tyson. There was one or two Bachmann that were ok, but I suspect that they were American market items that snuck through to Australia!
Kato, Atlas, Athearn and Life Like are consistant, but Bachmann is not.They vary greatly from not running ( a couple), run rubbish (most), and run OK (a couple).
I failed to mention Micro Ace and Tomix as being pretty good (and consistant) with quality in N scale. Not quite Kato like but getting there.
Matthew

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  08:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know anything about the Micro Ace and Tomix Matthew as I have never seen any for sale over here. BTW I just noticed that was your second post, welcome to the forum! Please post some shots of your work when you get a chance!

Mike

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 09/29/2007 10:00:45 AM

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tomix, Kato and MicroAce deal mostly in Japanese prototypes, but only Kato produces allot for the North American market. Another excellent Japanese producer is Modemo, who produce N scale trolleys and interurban stuff, but again only Japanese prototypes. Fleischmann's European stuff runs really well too.

But as far as my top three: Kato, Atlas & Life Like

-Cody

bluenose
New Hire

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  4:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If one accepts that many Atlas engines were/are in fact Kato products made for Atlas, then Kato has to win. Personally, I have about an equal split between Kato and LL, the former due to overall quality, the latter due to their being the best buy for money invested. Name an engine that will out-pull the LL BL2. And for $25 yet! Bachmann has been a poor finisher in N scale, but some of their newer steam releases are filling a void largely ignored by other manufacturers.

RailSpikeTie
New Hire

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  1:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit RailSpikeTie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Atlas would be one of my favorites all though, Fleischmann and Kato are good runners also.

LandNnut
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  5:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit LandNnut's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome all you new hires to the Small Scale Forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  7:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome guys, always good to see more people interested in the CORRECT scale!

Mike

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Lineside Models ?? Topic Next Topic: Museum N Scale Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000