Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

Chuck Doan
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  10:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember using strips of Kleenex that I wrapped around and painted on with some off white asbestos-y looking Floquil paint (not acrylic).

Oil might also be seen around that fitting atop the crosshead and under same on the foundation, of course depending on how fastidious your crew is.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  5:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Chuck, most helpful and appreciated.

Karl.

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking piece of machinery Karl.

Now for all you crazy members out there modeling, when is one of you going to model a working piece of equipment you know with a motor that turns something

With all the other details you guys model having a working piece of machinery should be a piece of cake.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  6:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Been there and done that earlier this year John, but it's secret so I cant show it ..... hopefully later this year you will get a sneak peak....

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/06/2010 7:00:22 PM

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  7:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Been there and done that earlier this year John, but it's secret so I cant show it ..... hopefully later this year you will get a sneak peak....

Karl.A

Dang Karl,
It figures you would be holding something like back from the rest of us.

Now how about some bugs on the window glass or spiders with cobwebs.

Is there anything that you can't model?

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  8:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, First time going through this build today....shame on me very nice work and glad to see another O scale logging modeler. Great scale isn't it. Ill be following now with great interest. Craig

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  06:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a spectacular progress shot, but posting my small progress will hopefully act as a stimulus for greater progress.

I also spent a couple of hours last night working on the metal details and refreshing my memory by re-reading the excellent manual.

Hopefully more when I finish work later today.

Karl.A

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  06:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The boiler is looking great Karl.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  07:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Nelson,

after posting earlier I spent my morning 'coffee time' working on the mill engine itself.

Cutting the steam lines and exhaust tubes to length and test fitting the componants together.

Once I remove these again and get them painted/weathered it will finally be time to glue the mill engine together, currently the only items glued are the two side cylenders to the concrete base, everything else is just sitting there, a testiment to the excellent and accurate castings thereby giving a perfect fit to all the componants.

Karl.A

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/09/2010 :  11:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really a nice job on the Steam Engine. Looking forward to more work on the boiler.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  6:17:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Jerry I appreciate your comments.

The main boiler can be seen in the background of the first pic with its base coat of black applied.

A quick modeling break after work and now heading off to cut the grass resulted in the beginnings of the finish being applied to the 'junk' boiler to be placed out in the yard area.

Trusty, crusty ole' Rusty at about five times actual size I would guestimate.

Hopefully more benchtime after the garden is presentable, dependant on the amount refreshments required to get me through the hour long task

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/10/2010 6:32:01 PM

Erie L-1
Section Hand

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

I grained all the stripwood for the framing and the siding and then gave it a preliminary colouring in strong a&i. I will further distress and colour the siding pieces as they are applied.

Karl.A

What is a&i???

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Alcohol and India Ink, there are several 'indepth' discusions on the subject. Several were colated in a thread recently, I'll try and find it if you need it.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/10/2010 10:16:16 PM

simon1966
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit simon1966's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl, great texture on the rusty boiler, it is looking great.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  11:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you indeed Simon, the texture was something that I was really happy with....

note the past tense throughout that sentence which leads to the impemding acetone bath that will befall that detail part in the near future.

Eirie, Pages 8 & 9 of the thread below describe some A&I recipies / techniques that should help you out......

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27195&whichpage=8

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 07/10/2010 11:29:55 PM

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000