Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 179 ]  [ Total: 179 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

silveradonorthern
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  12:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl,

I've been following your build quietly from the beginning and I must say your work is just fantastic. Your knot holes are to barrow a British term 'spot on.'

Rick brought up a point that has been niggling around in my brain. I know Brett planned the mill engine to drive the saw mill. My question is why the road between the two structures. Is the mill engine turning a dynamo/generator to provide electric power to the saw mill? If it is powering an overhead belt system how would the power shaft bridge the road?

Small questions but they have sort of kept me from getting the kit.

On the issue of Blacken-It have you tried Micro Mark? I see it listed in the latest catalog.

Michael

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  3:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a spot of great news for those of us who model O scale.

Over the past few days Brett and I have had several indepth conversations and several ideas. My thoughts of having the Mill engine driving a shingle mill tied in nicely with a long time idea of Bretts for a kit release.

After thoroughly researching several ideas, playing around with the structure layout and also linking them logically into the main diorama I think we have come up with a great redesign for the right hand side of "Deer Creek".

What this will mean is another brand new and unique kit from Brett will be added to the already large line up of structures featured in Deer Creek.

Brett has redesigned and updated the Mill Site plan on his web page accordingly here...
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/oscale/mill/osite.shtml

The new "Tie & Shingle Mill" is going to be an awesome scene/structure to model and will connect perfectly to the "Mill engine & Boiler House"

The final design obviously isn't complete as yet but I already know it will be a 'must have' kit. New machinery, awesome details, unique design and prototypically based. I'm really excited about the project.

I think that this now fills in a few of the 'blanks' for some of you who were holding off buying or building the Mill Engine & Boiler House. I look forward to you joining me in this thread.

Michael, the overhead drive could be supported on trestle-like bents to span the road, this was done at several mills. One of which being the Camino Mill.
I have an order waiting to go to Micro-mark for several items including 'blacken-it', it is waiting for funds though. I have however come up with another solution that I'll post later.

I have started working on the rafters although the roof will be removeable, next will be the boilerhouse framing. Then onto the details...

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/18/2010 03:12:53 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  6:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, that is interesting news.
Not knowing that much about prototype structures like the tie mill and boiler house, I'm curious as to how they are connected.
In the diagram it appears that the two structures are separated.
I would have thought that they would be joined.
Any pictures of a prototype that would show this?

Your structure is coming together nicely. [:_thumbu]

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  11:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, as a point of info it was not unusual for the boiler and engine to be separated from a mill. This was done due to the hazards of fire and explosion, it was cheaper to rebuild a boiler house than a whole mill. I have seen pictures of different ways that the engine connections were made , some covered and some out in the open.

Mark

W,L,&E

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  03:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, much appreciated.

The two structures are indeed slightly separated. The drive shaft exits the rear of the engine house as per Bretts original design. This shaft then runs the short distance above the 'yard' and into the shingle mill where it runs the length of the structure. The shaft will be used to run the various machinery within such as shingle cutters, trimmers, circular saw. As Mark says this was not an unusual layout, for various reasons, including fire hazzard.

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are great news, Karl and Brett.
A shingle and tie mill can be a smaller structure, built in a very open way, and allowing the display of very interesting pieces of machinery.
Also, the shafts spinning above a dirt road from the engine house to the mill will add a lot of drama.
This is great design work!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  07:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks guys for the explanation.

Never knew that, just assumed they were always attached.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  10:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great input Mark, Frederic and Rick.
Up until last week Rick most of my knowledge was sparse and limited to conversations with Brett and what I had picked up in threads here. After bouncing around many numerous websites last week I learned alot and gained a good understanding of some of the processes. I found it mostly rewarding even though as I've stated previously I dont generally enjoy researching, maybe thats changing....

As I have stated the details have been stalled due to a lack of Blacken-it, Kris has recently suggested a jewelers for a supplier and Brett suggested a gun shop. Unfortunately the two jewellers I went to looked at me strangely and my friendly neighborhood arms dealer is on vacation until Monday, typical.

I remembered reading in threads where people were experimenting/trying PCB etchant for corrugated roofing and that it didnt react as expected and just darkened their roofing material....... so....

I bought a big bottle of echant from RadioShack. I got home and took one good long last look at Bretts beautiful exquisite castings and dumped them in the echant.......

Insanity ????

Well, Ok, thats not strictly the chain of events... I did a trial on a WS blobby thing casting first and it worked OK.
Also the tiny valves and other tiny parts I did in my last drop of Blacken-it just in case they disolved..

Success!! (IMO) I really like how they came out to this point... Unfortunately now I'm stalled due to having no drill bits for my pinvise to drill the holes to put it all together and the 'hobbyshop' doesnt open 'till 1pm, thats if they even have them, which I doubt.

Most of the componants for the engine... as you can see, the parts done in Blacken-it just turned a darker grey, however the larger parts done in echant turned true black.

More later... hopefully

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/18/2010 10:58:04 AM

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  11:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks very good. Is the shine on the cylinder in the last picture a simple effect of lighting or did you rub ir with a tissue or anything to get this effect?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  11:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic, the assembly was rubbed with a finger and then a soft cloth to remove any residue and also to get a metal sheen in some areas, other areas were just wiped and left dull. The drive wheel was 'polished' with 400 and then 1000 grit paper. This is all still just beginings of prep work.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/18/2010 11:12:59 AM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now yes I know it's only five little pieces, and they arent even 'glued' together yet, but hey, progress is progress right?

The colour is "Christmas Green". As well as polishing the wheel I have now also polished inside the cylinders where the pistons would be moving. (apologies if I called anything the wrong name...)

Karl.A

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  4:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you've named everything properly.
What brand is this "Christmas green" colour?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  4:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frederic,

it's Delta Ceramcoat brand, it's a pretty scary bright green when you look at it wet in the bottle but it does darken slightly when dry. I really like it for small soda bottles and such.

Once weathered with darker chalks and other processes I like the look in this application too I think.

Karl.A

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  4:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl,
Very realistic looking equipment. Thanks for all of the pictures.
Larry

sierrawest
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  5:32:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit sierrawest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nailed the look of the mill engine...

brett

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000