Railroad Line Forums - SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SierraWest - Mill Engine & Boiler House
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack
Page: of 33

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  10:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, the walls are loking great. It is always nice to see and here how people make their majic, thanks for some of yours.

Mark

W,L,&E

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  09:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Elliott

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  9:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark, hopefully it may help out in a future situation.
Thanks Elliot.

I have three projects delayed with 'supply' issues, this one due to 'blacken-it' for the details, the two Bordello's, and finally, the 'other one' due to lack of 1/64 plywood needed to make the clapboards from. But good news arrived today from the bank so, I'll be hopping out of bed bright and early in the morning (10:30) and heading directly to the craft shop (after a pot of coffee).

Nothing photogenic to show this evening, I cast the base for the boilerhouse in plaster and then spent four hours online looking for some inspiration on a specific step I need to figure out to continue.

Progress shots tomorrow after I get supplies in hand.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 04/14/2010 9:59:03 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I pulled the 'Shed' dio off of the shelf to start looking at placement and blending that would need to be done when joining the three dio's.

I really didnt like it, and I knew why. After about 30 mins of sitting and staring, visualising and looking at Bretts pics/map I decided that the ony thing to do would be to add four triangular foam sections on each side of the dio.
Not an easy task, especially next to the rigging shed side but it will hopefully improve the way this section of the overall dio looks, at least until the rest is added as Brett releases the new kits.

Any thoughts?? good, bad, completely different.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
After some more thought I think I'll put a curve in the road allowing my to have the boilerhouse on a different angle than the sheds. This will also free up some extra space for detail and transition between the structures.

Karl.A

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, what will be the purpose of the boiler and engine?
You building an industry next to it?

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, it will be driving the mill which will be on the next section of the diorama to the right.

Karl.

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  12:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, version 2 of the dio looks much better.

I'm curios about how you cast the concrete pad for the boiler.

Steve T.

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  2:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl --

The first sketch is a definite improvement and the second one is even better! It drives me crazy when I see square/rectangular dioramas with track running parallel to the edge and all the structures arranged in a grid.

Your structures are outstanding! But the arrangement seen in the overall photos screams 'fake' ... I think this is because the eye "naturally" rejects the somewhat artificial arrangement of things. (Yes, buildings may be placed parallel to the track and aligned next to each other ... but when everything is arranged in a grid it becomes bothersome.)

Now, that said, once you "mess it up" a bit by placing the track at an angle, curving the road, tipping the axis of the rear building along the road ... then the eye accepts the composition ... and with the outstanding details of your structures, the eye will move around within the scene and find tons of interest!

One more "peeve" that's too early for your build, but might be helpful later ... also drives me crazy when I see "award winning" dioramas that have amazing structures/scenery/detail on top and exposed edges of pink or blue foam around the outside. Ugh! That is not a 'picture frame' that compliments the scene.

Now, just to clarify:
-- Your models are outstanding and the changes you suggest will go a long way to make them even more enjoyable (IMO) to the viewer ... and apparently yourself!
-- Any comments, suggestions, criticisms I've offered are intended to be constructive ... apply, adapt or disregard at will! No offense intended and certainly none taken here.

So, Bravo on re-thinking "the box" ... looks great!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  4:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl, I like the second sketch although it is hard to say until I went and looked at Brett's conseption drawing. It will be some diorama when you finish all the parts yet to come.

Maek

W,L,&E

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  5:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The different angles, the curve on the road and the abandonment of parallelism between the track and the side of the diorama are three big design improvements, I think, Karl.
What's this future mill on the right? Kit, scratch?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  6:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl, not having something that will use the boiler and engine is what stopped me from continuing with the construction of the kit.
Like Frederic asked, what kind of mill and kit or scratch?

Narrowgauge Nut
New Hire

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  7:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it might have something to do with an O scale series of kits.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the questions, ideas and valuable input.

First some answers...

NarrowguageNut : I'm curios about how you cast the concrete pad for the boiler.

The base was cast as per the instructions in the manual from plaster. I drew a rectangle to the specified dimensions on a sheet of styrene, glued the provided pieces of 1/8" square stock on these lines, mixed up some soupy plaster and poured it in. Once dry I removed it from the 'mould' and broke it into pieces then glued it back together again. I'm actually not happy with how it broke so will probably do it again, hopefully with a better (for me) result.

Dallas, everything you say is taken as you meant it, in a helpful and constructive way. This is the great kind of input I am always looking for. Your last point is one I am also very aware of. My truely finished dioramas (of which there are very few) are either built into a picture frame or one is added around the base, for me it makes alot of difference and also the statement " I'm done!"

This leads into your other points and also the answers for the other questions which I will group all together.

I knew when originally building the ToolShed diorama that it was parallel to the base which is not the norm, and also when I added the Rigging Shed diorama that this added to that situation.
The thing that I had to bear in mind though was that these two dioramas were part of a much bigger one that I was working towards. These would need to be connected to the much larger "Deer Creek" dio as each portion/kit was released by Brett.
Even now it is easy to get consumed with making this small (20"x20") dio fit all the 'rules' of dioramic principals, however, it is not a stand alone diorama and consideration must be given to how it will fit into the bigger picture.

Here is the bigger picture.....

More details here...
http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/oscale/mill/osite.shtml.

Narrowguage Nut I think it might have something to do with an O scale series of kits.

Absolutely correct Steve, and it will be several years (I imagine) before everything is able to reach completion.

The mill site as pictured above is not set in stone, and obviously each individual modeller will have their own interpretation due to factors such as space, layout integration, region...etc.even down to which kits they buy and which they 'leave out'.

For logical and financial reasons most 'sites' would be set out in a linear manner, ie. the shortest route from A-B. Though maybe not the most asthetically pleasing layout it made the most sense. The winding creek, the structures nestled in the basin and the elevated rear structures should add valuable vistas to the overall diorama.

In summary, there is a long way to go to reach the big picture and making each segment able to "stand alone" whilst also keeping in mind its larger connection is going to be a balancing act. I'm sure things will evolve to some small degree throughout the process.

Rick and Frederic, the boiler/mill engine will drive Bretts saw mill as pictured above. I know that Brett is working hard to get the HO shipyard finished and shipping but the O scale sawmill is well on the way also.

I did have ideas to scratchbuild a temporary shinglemill as a stand-in, but, time will tell if I get to that before Brett has his mill ready to start on.

I'f I missed anything just ask again, but I'll read back to check anyway.

Thanks for the continued input and ideas they are greatly appreciated and helpful.

Karl.A

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  02:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karl.

Thanks for showing your Blade pen (sounds like a james bond tool). Looks like another handy tool ill have to make.

The new layout witht the curved road wiil look alot better. Im already wandering where that road will lead off to.

Keep up the good work.

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit Topic Next Topic: SierraWest - #305 O Scale Wood Cutters Shack  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000